Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New businesses coming to Portlaoise

Options
  • 16-05-2008 11:34pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Ronald McDonald has got planning permission to build a restaurant in the car park of the new Dunnes Stores.

Also i see that Argos are in talks to open a store the Dunnes shopping centre.

A bit of useless gossip for you all taken from the Leinster Express

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I thought Argos are going in to the new Homebase park? AFAIK Argos and Homebase are sister companies like Dixons and PC World.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

As they say don't believe everything ya read in the papers. I read the above in the leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Yeah seen it in paper! When and where is the new home base opening? I know there was a discussion bout it a while back but too lazy to read through it all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

Bring on the superquinn sausies!!!!! yummy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Anyone know what other businesses are opening in the retail park? Halfords? Dixons? PC World?

• Advertisement

Ruby-J wrote: »
    Bring on the superquinn sausies!!!!! yummy!

Agreed on that point their sausage are yummy. Are Superquinn coming to Portlaoise?
    Anyone know what other businesses are opening in the retail park? Halfords? Dixons? PC World?

Can't say i know whats coming but it would be great to see a few of those arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TickingOrange

Superquinn is opening this summer in Parkside @ O'Moore Park. Homebase is also opening this summer in the new retail park off the Timahoe Road. Its just before the Equstrian centre you'll see a new roundabout.

Superquinn is opening this summer in Parkside @ O'Moore Park. Homebase is also opening this summer in the new retail park off the Timahoe Road. Its just before the Equstrian centre you'll see a new roundabout.

Oh yeah i heard about superquinn now that you give the location.

That retail park will be good for the town but bad for traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

I wish someone would open a Boots near us :(

And and and....a decent shopping centre with decent fashion stores!!! there are three in town and theyre for over 50s!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Ruby-J wrote: »
    a decent shopping centre

A new shopping centre would be awesome, and a HMV or Virgin Megastores or any good music shop would be nice, Trax wrecks my head!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Steve_o wrote: »
    A new shopping centre would be awesome, and a HMV or Virgin Megastores or any good music shop would be nice, Trax wrecks my head!!!!

Virgin doesnt exist anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Virgin doesnt exist anymore.

I'm set in my ways.... Its called Zavvi now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think that Portlaoise, given the pattern and make up of its retail trade, could do with a new shopping centre linking the Main Street with James Fintan Lawlor Avenue, with a new square or public plaza created on the Main Street to inject much needed life back into the area. The surface car parks off JFL avenue are unsightly and should be placed underground with a new pedestrian plaza with sculpture and water fountains situated above.

The new shopping plaza in the centre of Athlone is an example of this idea. The existing Laois Shopping Centre is getting dated, is too small and needs a major revamp IMO.

When is McDonalds due to open? Do people welcome the golden arches?

That sounds lovely!!! Very cosmopolitan! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

genie_us wrote: »
    I wish someone would open a Boots near us :(

Well I saw that Boots are supposed to be opening in Tramore of all places (i.e. the town where no shops except Super Valu can survive :rolleyes:) so it's not beyond the realms of possibility :D

Argos is now open in Portaoise. Open at the new Kyle Centre (Dunnes Stores)

Halfords, Heatons Mothercare are also all open in the new retails park.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

kikel wrote: »
    Argos is now open in Portaoise. Open at the new Kyle Centre (Dunnes Stores)

Halfords, Heatons Mothercare are also all open in the new retails park.

Is it an Argos extra?

DéiseGirl wrote: »
    Is it an Argos extra?

Sure is, not that i know the difference compared to a normal store. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Doesn't have everything a normal store does...only select items!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

kikel wrote: »
    Sure is, not that i know the difference compared to a normal store. :confused:

they have everything Argos have and Extra!!!

What is the difference between a regular Argos store and an Argos store?
    Argos Extra stores are bigger stores that keep the full range of Argos Extra products in-store so you can take them away straightaway. We're constantly opening new Argos Extra stores so there should be one near you. All Argos Extra stores are identified with the symbol on the Store locator, in your trolley and in the catalogue.

Our regular Argos stores keep the regular Argos range but can get Extra items in for you, usually within 3 working days. Remember, if you want to buy an Extra item from a regular Argos store, you can order by using Check and Reserve to save yourself a journey!

stevoman wrote: »
    they have everything Argos have and Extra!!!

What is the difference between a regular Argos store and an Argos store?
    Argos Extra stores are bigger stores that keep the full range of Argos Extra products in-store so you can take them away straightaway. We're constantly opening new Argos Extra stores so there should be one near you. All Argos Extra stores are identified with the symbol on the Store locator, in your trolley and in the catalogue.

Our regular Argos stores keep the regular Argos range but can get Extra items in for you, usually within 3 working days. Remember, if you want to buy an Extra item from a regular Argos store, you can order by using Check and Reserve to save yourself a journey!

That make sense, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭CountryGirl1

When are they gonna open the Kyle centre?Or are they just gonna stick with the Cafe Select restaurant instead??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

We badly need a PC world as well, would have thought that one would have opened by now considering the huge catchment area - the nearest one is Naas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

When are they gonna open the Kyle centre?Or are they just gonna stick with the Cafe Select restaurant instead??:confused:

Its open, thats where the new dunnes stores is, there just doesn't happen to be very many shops there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Oh dear. So by the time I get home (hopefully not for a few more years) Portlaoise will have turned into the Blanchardstown retail park of the Midlands?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I think that Portlaoise, given the pattern and make up of its retail trade, could do with a new shopping centre linking the Main Street with James Fintan Lawlor Avenue, with a new square or public plaza created on the Main Street to inject much needed life back into the area. The surface car parks off JFL avenue are unsightly and should be placed underground with a new pedestrian plaza with sculpture and water fountains situated above.

The new shopping plaza in the centre of Athlone is an example of this idea. The existing Laois Shopping Centre is getting dated, is too small and needs a major revamp IMO.

When is McDonalds due to open? Do people welcome the golden arches?

The town centre in Athlone is a disaster. Visitors can drive past and not even kno its there. Its built behind houses/small shops with a small entrance. Stupid place to put it

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fona

TKMaxx opening in Kyle Centre now as I understand it.

Someone said open in October? Not sure how true it is, but if it is, it's likely to open before the McDonalds does. I mean seriously, how long does it take to open a store? They started building back in what February/March?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

fona wrote: »
    TKMaxx opening in Kyle Centre now as I understand it.

Someone said open in October? Not sure how true it is, but if it is, it's likely to open before the McDonalds does. I mean seriously, how long does it take to open a store? They started building back in what February/March?

TK maxx?
    That'd be awesome if it happens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

Yep are definately opening seen an advert for staff. I cant wait I love TK max

Advertisement