Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SPAR - Tom Doooorey

• 16-05-2008 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

You know that Ad for wine in Spar... the one Tom "Ohh yes its a Rioja" Doorey endorses...
    Is it just my imagination that it looks like spar just repackages shyote box wine in bottles and passes it off as good plonk?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

****e box wine? I remember in Australia that ****e box wine used to cost us AU$15 for 5 litres, nothing ****e about that ! It would last us all night, even made us as sick as a flight to Lourdes:D

Isnt the offer in Spar 2 bottles for 13 euro? Pretty good Id say, you dont really distinguish the fruity oak aromas from the boysenberry ferrous flavours after a few glasses anyway:D

oh and I believe his name is Tom Doorley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Annatar

Opps sorry typo.
    Doooooorrrrrley

Nope ya dont get what I mean. The Ad itself insinuates the wine is caca. But it also appears that they just repackage it.

Roysh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Boxes of wine kick as$. €10 for a real nice sweet 5L in Cape Town. We're so ripped off here.

There is a Beer & Wine & Spirits forum btw.

Oh and Spar ftw. Always better value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Poor Tom is just trying to make a few bob after his wine shop down in Waherford closed down,due lack of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭trout

Poor Tom is just trying to make a few bob after his wine shop down in Waherford closed down,due lack of interest.

Wow ... there's something you don't see every day ... a FlutterinBantam post which makes no reference at all to the aul' bowel movements :D

/OT who is Tom Doooorey ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

He is a journalist and food and wine critic with some national newspaper,husband of Mary Rose Doorley who was prominent in broadcasting some decade ago.

Tom did regular slots on RTE and recently did an interview with Marian Finucane where he came across as not a bad auld dude,who set up a high class wine shop in the middle of nowhere and wondered why it foundered...

Very interesting interview I must say,had the Flutt on the edge of the commode.

Trouty you will just have to search my posts more assiduously, at least a third make no ref to poop.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭trout

He is a journalist and food and wine critic with some national newspaper,husband of Mary Rose Doorley who was prominent in broadcasting some decade ago.

Tom did regular slots on RTE and recently did an interview with Marian Finucane where he came across as not a bad auld dude,who set up a high class wine shop in the middle of nowhere and wondered why it foundered...

Very interesting interview I must say,had the Flutt on the edge of the commode.

Thanks for the info. I think I remember Mary Rose Doorley ... she had a fitness video out if memory serves ?
    Trouty you will just have to search my posts more assiduously, at least a third make no ref to poop.:D

Ah ... guess I've just been ... lucky :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

trout wrote: »
    Ah ... guess I've just been ... lucky :)

Hahaha!:D

That Tom Doorley is very smug...gets on my nerves. Even the way he leans against the cupboard in thatt ad....annoying.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Can't stand him hes a critic on RTE' The Restaurant him and paulo complete knobs! puts me off the whole show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Id imagine theres plenty of ppl out there who cant stand him but theres also loads that hang on his every word in his food column of Saturdays Times. If Tom says a restaurant is good the place will be packed for months afterwards, I even know a restaurant manager who has a picture of him on the back of the kitchen door so the staff will recognise him if he comes in....

As for box wine being repackaged in bottles, well that doesn't surprise me at all. The vast majority of cheaper wine is blended anyway, its still the same grape but its mass produced and blended with other wines, sometimes several.

We all know we are ripped off here, a nice bottle can be had in Italy for under a fiver, 3 euro will get you the blended stuff....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

Doorley et al, good luck to them for making a living out of restaurant reviewing.

However, I doubt that he represents the experiences of 99% of diners who eat in restaurants.

I don't have a degree in food etc, but when I eat out if I enjoy what I eat then I'm happy. The fact that it wasn't cooked to perfection by TD's standards is quite frankly irrelevant IMHO.

Get a real job...

Advertisement