Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Were you about the Abbey last night?!"

• 16-05-2008 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

As recently stated here, Ive completed my first year in Donegal after moving with the missus (Donegal girl) from Dublin and despite a strange start, enjoy it a lot. But there is one burning question I would love to have answered!

What is the obsession with The Abbey Hotel in Donegal Town for drinking and sociaising? It just seems to be the topic of conversation everywhere I go : gym, pool, schools, shops, outside mass, etc. Surely there are other spots people can go to?!!

People of all ages, from kids to oap's just seem to talk about it non stop and "such and such made a show of himself in the Abbey", etc.

Sorry for my rant, the wife thinks I need a weekend in Dublin! :D

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

bohsboy wrote: »
    Hi all,

As recently stated here, Ive completed my first year in Donegal after moving with the missus (Donegal girl) from Dublin and despite a strange start, enjoy it a lot. But there is one burning question I would love to have answered!

What is the obsession with The Abbey Hotel in Donegal Town for drinking and sociaising? It just seems to be the topic of conversation everywhere I go : gym, pool, schools, shops, outside mass, etc. Surely there are other spots people can go to?!!

People of all ages, from kids to oap's just seem to talk about it non stop and "such and such made a show of himself in the Abbey", etc.

Sorry for my rant, the wife thinks I need a weekend in Dublin! :D

Funny enough, I was speaking to a guy from Donegal Town the other day in Letterkanny and all he spoke about was being at the Abbey the night before!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Never heard of this but then again if you lived in the Donegal Town area it would be a popular spot and make up a small part of a conversation Im sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭blue shimmering

Yes do agree that if going for a night out in Donegal, it wouldn't be complete without a call into the Abbey! I think it is just because it always used to be where everyone congregated for weddings, funerals and social gatherings never mind the disco's and so on!

When you are under 18 it is always an achievement to get into the Abbey, no where else in town only the Abbey - probably because it is in the centre of town, always had a great social scene and so on....

Though I have to say that I haven't met many recently who have asked me "if I have been to the Abbey Hotel" or "did you hear about such as such"....rather disappointed about that!

Welcome to Donegal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I was in The Abbey last Sunday. :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

smashey wrote: »
    I was in The Abbey last Sunday. :D
    I was in it last night, though the less said about that the better! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

the abbey is the place to be, its were it all happens

:D

i was the same, when i first moved to donegal, any night i was out, always had to have a few, or even finish up, in the abbey, even now, the odd time i go out in donegal, which is not that often, the abbey nearly always get a visit,

i was there last night, and no, did not go to the night club

:D

seems to be alot less people in it lately, could move around it quite comfortably, over all, wasn't a bad night, although was in a few other pubs as well before ending up in the abbey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

I've been going to the Abbey since I was let out of the house to go to discos and there has been SUCH a change in it in recent years. There's nights when you might feel like heading to the Abbey but then it's just such a let down when you arrive. There's no one in the disco (which is €12 :eek: :eek:), no one in the bar no one anywhere. I was up to see Aslan there a while back and we left to go back to our local pub there was NO atmosphere at all..... The Abbey gets a big thumbs down from me I'm afraid. It's changed but not for the better....

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Bring back Nero's (Club N) I say :pac:

byte wrote: »

oh dear god no

:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Many a "shift" was had in the Abbey, good times:) Haven't been there in 12 years, not that I miss it...

byte wrote: »
    Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Many a "shift" was had in the Abbey, good times:) Haven't been there in 12 years, not that I miss it...

had many more in neros :D, like i said, usally end up in the abbey any time i'm out in donegal, although, have only been in the disco once in the last 6 years

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

It was a bad night if you could'nt get a shift in Neros...

The Abbey is good on Big Weekends.. But I always feel it has lost its touch since Dom Left..
    I remember the Disco in the Abbey Being Jammed upstairs with well over 3,000 people. and counting over 40 buses going up Quay Bray.
    The Only reason Most People end up in the abbey is because of the Late Drink.. You Need to be in there before midnight..

Advertisement