Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat Pack furniture assembly site. Opinions welcome

Options
  • 17-05-2008 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I just made a new site called irishflatpackassembly

basically it is offering to assemble flat pack furniture from the likes of Argos, Ikea, B&Q, HomeBase, etc, etc

Any opinions on the look and feel of the site would be really great

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Not bad, show's off what you do straight away, simple and effective. I'd suggest maybe getting a logo done just to bring out the header a bit.

One question though. In the footer... Click here to report any errors with this page??? Why on earth would you want to put a link like that in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

You're contact page is a bit of a bummer, only found it after digging it up. Footer should be in smaller writing imo,
    maybe remove the report an error link, and if you intend on leaving it there, call it website feedback at least.

nice website :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭noreds

just got rid of the report error and changed it to "For site feedback click here"
    does that sound better ?

just waiting on my new shiny graphics tablet before i start trying out new logos
    should have i monday. so anyone with nice photoshop tutorials on logos send em my way
    You're contact page is a bit of a bummer, only found it after digging it up.
    what do you mean by this ?
    was it difficult to find ?
    or just looked bad ?
    few more details so i can try make it better would be great
    i have changed the contact form to look a lot more subtle now
    check it out and let me know what you guys think
    also should i keep it as "contact us" or change it something like "book now"

thanks for the quick feedback already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

On the contact form I didn't like the "This is required" for the "How did you find Irish Flat Pack Assembly.com" - I would prefer the text have more of a relaxed tone e.g. "We're always curious how people got to the site."
    Could you make Email not required and just require one of Email or Phone?

The title of the Contact Us page is "IfpAssembly - Get in Touch" - I suggest expanding IfpAssembly.
    The address section seems a little elaborate - I doubt you'll welcome orders from abroad (I realise that this is probably a limitation of the wufoo service).
    You may want to limit the areas you will travel to.

On the Pricing page there is a broken link to Portfolio. Again the page title has the abbreviation IFPAssembly (though uppercase this time).

The Privacy Policy font is very different to the other pages. Oh, it's an image. Why?
    And it links to a Hosting365 page. Mistake?
    Again IFPAssembly abbreviation.

As for the site feedback link. It's a mailto link. I don't have an email client on my machine so the link won't work. I suggest another wufoo form.

I like the look of the site.

ok i have made good few changes
    • both email and not now required
    • changed the how did you find us to the "we'e always curious". i like that a lot better . cheers
    • IFP Assembly now "Irish Flat Pack Assembly"
    • put in a simple text box for the Address section (yeh the previous address was because of wufoo)
    • the portfolio page link removed (that page is still being worked on so should be up within the next few days)
    • changed the privacy policy to match font and now in text not image (was an image because i had put a shadow effect in it)
    • 365 link was mistake when previously writting policy and had server info and links on it- gone now...i hope

does the contact form now look too long ?
    too much detail ?
    should i remove all the furniture info stuff and ask the customer in email when they contact ?

the site feedback thing is part of rapidweaver (program i use to make site) and i kind had it there just as something extra. do you think i should remove it ?

i want to have a nice looking graphic for the front page. dont like the plain desk i have now
    any suggestions
    was thinking of maybe a slideshow of previous assembly work

thanks for the constructive criticism. always needed

• Advertisement

In the contact form prompt, "Where did you buy your furniture from" - I suggest changing it to "What store did you buy your furniture from?", because the current prompt is almost identical to the displayed question.

The "When" question prompt begins with "the exact day you request may not always be possible.". Uppercase the 'the' to 'The'

"Please list your catalogue page and code of your furniture. " - maybe "the catalogue" (the person submitting the form didn't write the catalogue ;) )

The delay from going to the Contact Us page and the form appearing is a bit disconcerting. In the future I suggest hosting the form on your site to eliminate this delay.

The first two and last questions in the Privacy Policy have question marks *before* the question. Also, the first paragraph has "..." where I assume you should have IrishFlatPackAssembly.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There are no contact details on the site

The images on the main page need to be compressed - the front page currently weighs in at nearly half a meg, which is unnecessary.

The text on the sitemap is hard to read (http://irishflatpackassembly.com/sitemap.html)

ok thanks for the input

changes:
    • Changed "Where did you buy your furniture from" to "What store did you buy your furniture from?"
    • Uppercase the "T" in "the"
    • Changed "your catalogue" to "the catalogue"
    • Changed the text colour on the sitemap page

The delay with the contact form appearing does annoy me too
    Its just that the form is quiet easy to make and change and customise too.
    I haven't figured out how to make my own decent contact form yet.

the paragraph thing isnt happening my end
    try refreshing the page as i had previously wrote the text for the policy with the "..............." before i had a name for the site

blacknight what do you mean by there are no contact details
    like a phone number ? (haven't got a number for it yet)
    or email address
    i think i have compressed the site somewhat
    how do i measure the size of each page

let me know if there is anything else i can do to improve or tidy up the site
    also if anyone has any info on where or how to promote the site to people in Dublin let me know

thanks again guys for the help :)

You can see how fast (or slow) a site loads using something like this:
    http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

There are no tangible contact details anywhere on that site.

yeh i understand that a lot of people would feel more secure with more contact details
    what i dont want is for everyone to just send a normal email asking about flat pack assembly. the contact form gives me all their details and when they want it in 1 simple email
    then there is the back and forth questions which i have set out in the contact form
    would it do adding a phone number and email address in on the privacy policy page
    or i could put a phone number on the contact page.
    but again i work so i wont be able to answer all calls and wont be able to go through all the details with the customer over the phone
    when they leave their number i can ring back at a time i can talk freely
    or would i be better off adding it down the bottom of every page

this is not a big huge business and will be more a part time thing unless it actually got busy enough to do so.
    any ideas on what would look more appealing for contact details

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

there's little point having a website for a part time iffy business. You're either in businesss or not, no phone number or address would set alarm bells off for almost everyone i would imagine

heggie wrote: »
    there's little point having a website for a part time iffy business. You're either in businesss or not, no phone number or address would set alarm bells off for almost everyone i would imagine

Exactly

There is no way that I would even consider buying anything from a business that did not provide me with tangible contact details.

I am not selling tangible goods
    I am selling a service
    not like you will be waiting for a delivery of something that never arrives
    if we don't come out to make your furniture you don't pay
    and as for not buying from someone with contact details
    what about ebay. Every sale is potentially a risk but how popular is it

I don't want to leave my current job before I have got even 1 customer.
    That's why it is part time.
    If it doesnt work I still have a job and am out of pocket a tiny amount on web hosting, domain registery etc
    if it does work I am happy to go full time. I would love it
    but I don't think it would be smart to even consider myself a business yet until I get a job or 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I am selling a service
    Ah, the serviceman's creed...

noreds wrote: »
    I am selling a service

So?

Bad example. Ebay and paypal offer buyer protection

blacknight wrote: »
    There is no way that I would even consider buying anything from a business that did not provide me with tangible contact details.
    Would it help if noreds provided an "About Me" page with a photo, name and background? It would show who was behind the service.

noreds - You could put your mobile number on the site but not answer unknown callers during the day (I put my phone on 'Discreet' so it only makes one audible ring so as not to disturb those around me). Change your voicemail to mention IFPA and call people back later.

so hes not going to answer his phone? again, I dont think a website for this has any point, but a slightly better option would be to have another number, pref a landline with an answering service.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why is there an FAQ RSS feed?

Regading the assembly date on the contact form:
    The exact day you request may not always be possible. But we will do our best to try make it as close to your date as humanly possible.
    It sounds terrible! You sound like you are not sure when you will come but you will come sometime. Are people meant to hang around waiting for you?
    I am selling a service
    and as for not buying from someone with contact details
    You want me to let you into my house / business but you are reluctant to say who you are or where you are from!?!? :confused:

As for having no clients yet: where did your testemonials come from? :rolleyes:

Also did woodies, etc. give permission for you to use their logos?

Whats with the blocks_image_2_1.png on http://irishflatpackassembly.com/info/privacypolicy.html

kbannon wrote: »
    Regading the assembly date on the contact form:
    The exact day you request may not always be possible. But we will do our best to try make it as close to your date as humanly possible.
    It sounds terrible! You sound like you are not sure when you will come but you will come sometime. Are people meant to hang around waiting for you?
    You want me to let you into my house / business but you are reluctant to say who you are or where you are from!?!? :confused:
    Did everyone have a bad night's sleep last night? How about suggesting better wording that would be less confusing for you.

Maybe something like: Prior appointments may mean that your exact date is not available. We will confirm alternate dates with you before making a definite appointment

• Advertisement

we all seem to have the grumpy monday blues
    i put my questions on here to ask advice from the people who know
    i have always asked what i can change on the site and am open to anything that you all think will help it be more user friendly and appealing. now it is suddenly being transformed into a del boy trotters service which i dont feel it is.
    so i am reluctant to give out my home address as it is not a fully functioning business at the moment. if a handyman advertises online does he need to put all his personal details on including his address.

i dont think this is going to blow up into a multi national company so i would prefer to have an email and telephone number at the moment. it is a small service for people. i hope to promote mainly through word of mouth from previous customers. the site is more a portal for people who have heard of us from someone else. a way to get in touch. to see some of our previous work.
    to have a few FAQs answered etc etc.
    im not planning on making millions, its a few extra quid on the weekends or evenings. that much and i will be happy. but you guys seem to think i need something really business orientated. theres millions of places i would not buy stuff from. so i dont. if you dont like the service you wont use it. that is why i am asking what would make you more secure to use it. i want opinions, not to be talked down to.

it is fine pointing out what is bad about the site but i posted here looking for some friendly guidance. "it is terrible". how about a suggestion which would be a bit more constructive and the reason i am on this site.

totally understand the point about the phone number thing, as i have said havent set it up yet. probably this week so will add it when i get it

my testimonials came from clients that i have made flat pack for before. just didnt make it under the banner of Irish Flat Pack.
    I have no clients from the site yet is what i am saying.

cheers daymobrew for the simple wording change. it is things like that which is exactly why i posted on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Woah! Bit heavy on the abuse there!

In context, surely a contact page with a email/form promoted as the primary contact method and a one line "or call Jim @ 087 123 4567" somewhere on the page. Link to the contact page as much as you like elsewhere in the site.

I'm imagine most people would be happy with that. Your customers are going to be people who haven't availed of the official fitting service that most (all?) of those companies provide, so are likely to be looking for a decent chap for a decent price, and suit the turn-up-and-pay-me-cash approach.

A whole sweep of tradesmen, small removals, gardeners, etc. all trade like that (i.e. don't have a landline, and don't give full name & address on initial contact). Now if you want the ultimate in professionalism, then obviously you need a more credible presentation.

Legal issues aside, this is.

cgarvey = a voice of reason
    thank you very much
    you put what i couldnt into words
    exactly the kind of thing i was trying to get across

Apologies if I sounded quite strong - it wasn't intended.
    Dying of back, neck and headache for the last few days. Bit better now!

no big deal kbannon
    least you are big enough to actually say something about your comments

most people just seemed to jump on the ratty band wagon for no reason at all
    kinda made me look at boards.ie in a different light since all the people with the negative comments were people who seemed to have posted a lot on this forum. like i said i dont mind negative comments as long as they're constructive or justified.
    i have had a good few more questions relating to the site but kinda felt like whats the point in posting on boards after the response i got. im a rookie in web design looking for help thats all.

i've had a lot of positive feedback from here and other places i've asked people to look at the site. im happy with the look and feel of the site myself (which amazes me since im very self critical). so now onto the next issue of flyers and business cards.

anyway good to know theres people decent enough to actually come back and put their hand up

cheers

Don't worry too much about the attitudes from others - it generally isn't intended.

not worried
    just was very surprised by the feedback
    was kinda "wheres all this coming from"
    was thinking maybe i was asking too many questions or pissed someone off

everyone is entitled to opinions but was more the way it was delivered that had some venom in it

what posts offended you?

judging by your responses, its either myself or aidan_walsh, I'm not sure why??

heggie wrote: »
    what posts offended you?

judging by your responses, its either myself or aidan_walsh, I'm not sure why??
    Probably me as well :)

• Advertisement

i didnt say any posts offended me.
    i said i was surprised by the feedback. i was surpirsed by the manner it was delivered. not a simple "try this" or "maybe you should".
    it was blunt and seemed quiet rude and as if coming from someone looking down their nose.

so you think that people need to be in one full time business or not at all.
    i dont agree but i dont think you're wrong with your opinion. we have different views. but you seem to give the impression if someone doesnt agree with your way of thinking they are crazy.

The last page of this post has absolutely nothing to do with what i asked for. advise. not a little game of tit for tat.

as for blacknight probably you :). probably :)

but anyway cheers to the people who have given advise

Advertisement