Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat Pack furniture assembly site. Opinions welcome

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

noreds, I've found here isn't really the right place for getting web reviews it's more to help people with web design in the building process.

I don't bother here looking for site feed back because generally it ends up with people with doing there best to find fault with websites and they them self’s would never look for feedback on there own sites, don't get me wrong there are some excellent contributions from web designers and these are generally the people who aren’t afraid to show their own work and give give constructed feedback the right way.

There was a thread here a few weeks ago about the cost of web design and very, very few so called professionals who were slagging off other websites were willing to show some of there own work.

To a non web designer it looks fine and gets the point across and I’m guessing that’a who your target market will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭noreds

funny you mention that post BingoBongo.
    i actually read it a few weeks ago.
    was laughing to myself how many times people were asked to show their work and didnt show anything.
    yeah seems to be a kinda in the click mentality.
    i guess if i asked a few people on here to design my site and they done it exactly like it is now they would all be saying how great it looks, etc.

i dont want to have people lost in my big fancy corporate website.
    i want it to be simple and let them know what we do and what they can get from us.
    it went from making flat pack furniture to rocket science.

you hit the nail on the head with the feedback given the right way. nothing like being a bit civil to people. dont think its only this bored which has that problem these days. so many people with the "im great" attitude going on.

but at least from this post i have seen there are a few decent people left out there.
    thanks for the comments BingoBongo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

group hug!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭conkeroo

Im no pro but I like to do a bit of design myself. I think the site looks absolutely fine. Pretty slick, nice colour scheme, no "offensive" looking fonts. Straight to the point and easy to navigate. If im honest though, one small thing that bugged me personally, when you rollover the navigation, I dont think you need those fade-in balloons. They kinda distracted me and actually started to give me a bit of a headache when I accidently rolled over the links. For the info thats in them, the titles in the links are already self explanatory. Or even if you wanted to leave them, dont do the fade in/out bit, just do a straightforward and instant popup/disappear. Just my opinion from a visual point. Also, as someone else said, put your logo in the header so the site will gel with the business cards and flyers when you get them made up. But these are minor things. Great site, like I said.

yeh was just trying out something new with the floating bubbles
    dont like them myself so i will be deleting them myself during the week
    will try change it to regular hover over nav bar i think. keep it simple

still trying to think up a snazzy logo
    if anyone has any suggestions let me know
    having a brain freeze with the logo at the min

thanks for checking out the site conkeroo :)

• Advertisement

No worries at all. Listen, you give me an idea of a logo, what style - simple, intricate, what you want in there and i'll try come up with something. If not for you to use then you might get some ideas from it. I'll do it for the fun of it! See what you think and let me know.

cheers conkeroo that would be great
    would love something to tie in the flyers and business cards to the website

like i said kinda have a brain freeze on the logo
    im not sure what would look good. but a few ideas:
    cardboard box with pieces of furniture or blueprints flying out of it and name coming out too.
    or something with a screwdriver and hammers as letters

i dont mind if it is simple or intricate as long as it looks well.
    want it to blend in with the site look and feel. kinda sleek but smooth

to be honest im just plucking ideas out of the air
    at least i am open to any sort of logo
    so i think the best thing is to leave it up to yourself and see what you come up with

i sent you a pm with my email address if it is easier to sort the logo stuff that way.

i think your first on the list for the special flat pack discount offer

Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you guys want to start soliciting work, please take it to adverts.

he said he would do it for the fun of it

conkeroo wrote: »
    ......you might get some ideas from it. I'll do it for the fun of it! See what you think and let me know......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Those tooltips on the nav bar serve no purpose and are quite annoying.

The customer comments is a very good idea, but remove any of the ones that sound like eBay feedback like "A+++ SERVICE OMG EBAY RULZ" and that.

Contact form - the heading text on the booking form needs some padding on the left and top, so it doesn't run along the border.

The images on the corners of all your boxes are quite slow to load, it's a massive 16KB!! Needs to be saved as slightly smaller, try photoshop's save for web option.

Finally, as a professional offering a service why on earth are you allowing other companies to advertise on your page? Seriously, unless it's a clever link exchange with a mate's bussiness, don't!

Just a few tidbits, other than that a very clean smooth design.

cheers for the tips cian
    i have :
    • removed the tooltips boxes as nobody likes them
    • put in different customer comments
    • padded out the contact form a bit, let me know if it still doesnt look right
    • i have also used photoshop to "save for web" my images and cropped them down in size
    • and yeh removed the links to the stores. i think you're right about the free advertising thing

let me know what kinda size the page is now

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Nice site and as an Ikea junkie I know the pain of flat pack assembly. You've mentioned you're working on the phone number - for me that's a must have - I wouldnt deal with a service provider online if I couldnt get some immediate answers on the phone.

More of a content thing but the one thing I would change and this is subjective so you may well disagree but to me your tagline is a little clunky - Have Us Make Your - Flat Pack Furniture / Furniture For You.

I would change 'make' to 'assemble' or 'build' or maybe change it completely to something like - "You buy it, we'll build it" or "Fast, professional, low-cost furniture assembly".

yeh totally understand about the phone thing
    should be soon i hope

as for the slogan. was never 100% keen on it myself
    but i dont know about the you buy we build as then you get a lot of people thinking we make anything.
    but i would like to change it to something snappier
    if you have any other suggestions for the tagline throw them at me

cheers

Advertisement