Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low temperature at Dublin Airport - May 15

Options
  • 17-05-2008 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

Just looking through the "Yesterdays Weather" page on Met.ie

Weather Data for Yesterday 15-May-2008
    Station Rain Max Min Sun Gust Wind Soil Global Gmin
    Ballyhaise 0.0 16.2 5.7 4.3 16.2 2210 4.2
    Belmullet tr 19.1 8.6 14.0 5.8 18.4 2680 6.8
    Birr 0.0 17.0 6.5 11.5 5.9 18.3 2520 -1.9
    Casement tr 13.6 6.8 12.5 8.1 17.6 0.4
    Claremorris 0.0 19.4 6.8 5.2 16.1 3.5
    Cork Airport tr 16.4 7.8 13.8 6.5 16.1 3.9
    Dublin Airport 0.0 13.0 3.1 13.1 8.9 16.2 2610 0.7

I have highlighted both Casement's and Dublin AP's low recorded values above. Quite a difference over a few miles. What was the reason for such a low value?

Even Mullingar only got to 5.4c which was the next lowest value. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Intresting alight, I'm around a mile or so up the road from Casement and recorded a low of 4.1C last night. I've noticed it's normally the other way around with readings here and Casement often much lower than the Airport, sometimes by as much as 6 or 7 degrees especially in an Easterly or South Easterly breeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Mostly likely cloud cover, or lack of at Dublin AP

Mins overnight 18th/19th
    Dublin AP 1.7C
    Casement 5.9C

Exactly.
    Casement is suffeciently far enough further inland/away from Dublin Airport to have a difference like that at times.
    They can sometimes have no sea breeze when DUB ap would, for instance which would acount sometimes for daytime summer variations too.

My min was exactly the same as Casement last night, 5.9C. It would be intresting to see Snowbie's readings for last night to see how low he got down to, at 1am he was at 9.1C while I was already down to 6.2C.

• Advertisement

nemonoid wrote: »
    My min was exactly the same as Casement last night, 5.9C. It would be intresting to see Snowbie's readings for last night to see how low he got down to, at 1am he was at 9.1C while I was already down to 6.2C.
    I got down to 6.0c and I am only 2 miles from the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I am out of town atm, wont be back till later on. Id say probably no lower than 7C

Overnight min 19th/20th
    Casement 4.9C
    Dublin AP 0.6C

Min here of 3.9C just after midnight, rose steadily after that, little to no wind overnight.

With similar conditions late last year, mostly clear with the wind out of the SE I was seeing temps here and at Casement a good 5-6 degrees cooler than the AP.

Would it be a fohn effect (not sure if you get that at night!) from the mountains causing the higher temps out here? I noticed the humidity here and at Casement last night were a good bit lower than the AP too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Min here of 3.9C just after midnight, rose steadily after that, little to no wind overnight.

With similar conditions late last year, mostly clear with the wind out of the SE I was seeing temps here and at Casement a good 5-6 degrees cooler than the AP.

Would it be a fohn effect (not sure if you get that at night!) from the mountains causing the higher temps out here? I noticed the humidity here and at Casement last night were a good bit lower than the AP too.

Living close to mountains certainly can screw results around .
    Case in point is Mothman and myself. Both of us live in rural areas, except he's within a few kilometres of the coast whereas I'm about 12 kilometres inland and about 200 metres higher up but right beside Scarr Mountain..yet most clear nights he's cooler than me but on a few rare occasions I can be quite a bit cooler than him, usually (but not always) when there is an element of a sea breeze.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Mountains have an effect, and in this case for past few nights, it has probably caused it to be generally cloudy over Casement at night and with Dublin AP clear, a big difference in temperature can occur.
    Also the ground is quite dry and this enhances the radiative cooling that occurs under cloudless skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm very close to Dublin airport (as in can see the terminal and planes taxiing, taking off and landing from my 4th floor balcony) and it only got down to 6.5 last night....weird

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

highdef wrote: »
    I'm very close to Dublin airport (as in can see the terminal and planes taxiing, taking off and landing from my 4th floor balcony) and it only got down to 6.5 last night....weird
    A low of 6.9C AWS and screened 6.7C here.

We are suffering an UHI(urban heat island) effect. At this time of year, the absorption of heat from concrete, paved areas, roads and even traffic can affect both ambient air and ground temp.Transpiration from trees can keep humidity high so this will also slow the temp or heat escaping.
    It will cool down only very slightly during night time hours but in an open area, the radiating cooling as MM mentioned above will be more rapid.

We have a RPM airmass above us last evening so dews and RH are low enough which speeds up the cooling affect in exposed areas(the dryer the air the greater the cooling, also another example is a desert which can have a diurnal range of 50C)

With the AP distance from sea, 75M elevated and slight hollow(station area?) I'm not surprised to see low results there.
    I done a little trip around the AP a few months back and there was a range in temps at several different spots

Here

Also Here

and here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭highdef

I remember that airport trip well Snowbie!!! I also recall around that time that there were a lot of mornings when I would look out the window in the morning and I would be just about above a layer of fog drifting in from the nearby parkland. Very very eerie. I also remember temps of being around 6 or 7c at the 4th floor where I am but down at the ground floor in the fog, it would be hovering around freezing and everything was covered in thick ice with visibility down to a few dozen meters- now thats a big difference in weather and temperature over a space of about 12 or 13 meters!!!

Advertisement