Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Mixed OS network problem

• 17-05-2008 12:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

Hi, I run a home network with a mixed bag of devices and OSes.

Recently, I installed Windows Server 2008 and had problems finding all other computers and devices on my network.

I could not switch on Network Discovery, it switched back to Custom.
    Finally I found out that I need to run some UPnp services and managed to switch Network Discovery on.

Unfortunately, I still can't see any other computer on my network but can see my routers and NAS devices, probably because those run some form of uPnP.
    But my Apple cube, Ubuntu (samba) and XP computer are still not visible, and vice versa (W2K8 is not visible from any other computer)

I can ping each computer and if I type the IP address in Explorer or similar, I do see my w2k8 server.

Settings for W2K8 server: private network, Network Discovery on, File and Printer sharing on (and some directories shared), No password required.
    Firewall is on with some exceptions for what looks like the right services.

Pretty sure that I miss some sort of service and/or firewall setting but am not sure which one.

MS help says I need to install a protocol called Link Layer Topology on my XP box to make it visible. Needless to say I don't want to do that as that would only work on XP.

Some more settings: NETBIOS off, File & Printer Sharing for MS networks on, No WINS.

Any ideas here???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

After a long weekend of trial and error, I have found the problem: just switch Netbios over tcp/ip on. This is enough for other OSes to find my windows server and vice versa.

Not as safe as I want it but I am behind a firewall, so it will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

I take is this is just a test Network??

Personal test :)

Just playing around, I had windows home server but had a chance to give 2008 a spin, so far it's been good but takes quite while to find all the menu's that one is used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

nice 1 have you a lot of kit that you network and mess with?

Some stuff yes, but reading about some people's gear here on Boards, I don't think I am too unusual:
    - Apple Cube, OS X on Power PC -> browsing
    - Windows XP on Athlon -> gaming
    - Window 2008 server on VIA C7 -> NAS, web server, media, torrents, DC++, always on
    - Debian on VIA C7 -> SSH, VPN, proxy, SFTP, always on
    - XBOX -> Xbox media centre
    and 2 laptops, 1 pda

My network is slightly more complicated then a usual home network as I have a connection to the usual ISP and also to an amateur wi-fi network http://www.thewan.net and I keep them separate.

Off topic:
    I saw your post on broadband in Croom, maybe a similar amateur wi-fi network might be something for you (or your friend). See if you can find wifi amateurs in your region.
    Being only 10 miles out of Limerick, he might be able to hook up to someone in Limerick?

• Advertisement
Advertisement