Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to act when seeing famous people?

• 17-05-2008 2:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

What should you do? If I was famous for some legitimate reason i wouldnt mind people saying hi...but I saw Rosanna Davison in Dundrum two days ago and didn't know how to act...she looked a bit orange though...

Like wise when I met Niall Quinn I froze..

What would happen if I met someone properly famous?

What experiences have you had seeing famous people out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I would don my rape hat.

Who's Rosanna Davison?

I met Brendan Gleeson once. He came to my work place. I served him like I would any customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Meh is generally me re-action,have lost count of the amount of times I've meet Niall Quinn,lovely man has a very polite family,serve him whenever he's in the restaurant I work in! Served all the golfers that were involved in the Seve trophy....all very nice,no pre madonnas,even Monty was grand and I was waiting for him to complain bout someting(he's got a rep for that) Miguel Jimenez(sp?) had me up and down to the bar for glasses of Carlsberg,wanted to tell him to just get a pint but fancied holding onto my job:D

Who's Rosanna Davison?

Thee Irish model....anyone see she's got €20,00 to go naked for loaded I think it was!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I would don my rape hat.

B@stard! Jusy spat tea on the couch when I read that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

kmart6 wrote: »

Thee Irish model....anyone see she's got €20,00 to go naked for loaded I think it was!

20,000...isnt that a bit rubbish for that ind of thing? not that i'd actually know anything about it..but shed spend that in a day in dundrum,or in Dr. Quirkey's...

• Advertisement

But not like she's top notch in Loaded's eyes ya know?!

I can only remember meeting one person who I consider to be fame worthy.
    I gushed at him and he was embarrassed and complimented my hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ShadowWeaver

I saw Rosanna Davison once in UCD while I was studying there. It was in a deserted corridor and I was opening the door when she came up behind me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

It would depend on who they are and why they are famous.

E.g if I saw someone like Rosanna Davison I really wouldn't care nor take much notice.

If I saw someone like Quentin Tarantino or someone who's work, be it music, film, art, etc I'd respect then I'd go up and at least say hello, I love your work, etc..

I don't think I'd freeze though.

Only two quite famous people I've met were Brad Pitt and Liam Neeson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

I saw Rosanna Davison once in UCD while I was studying there. It was in a deserted corridor and I was opening the door when she came up behind me.

my mate saw her once and stared...she got her boyfriend to stare him down..this was in Dundrum too..the teddy bear shop...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

I met Clinton (the good one, not the dried-up old hag). Just shook his hand and said "hi" like I would anyone else.
    Was wearing a George W. T-shirt at the time :D

Did she try to take advantage of you?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Treat them like anyone else, unless they're attention whores it's probably what they would want anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Why should you act any differently with them to anyone else, they're people too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

The same happened to me, except the other way round. Needless to say, I had the last laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Deliberatly get them mixed up with a similar rival. In the case of Rosanna Daidson, "I thought you were dead after that drugs thingy in Meath!"

In the case of Niall Quinn, ask him if he's leaving Liverpool.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Depends on the person I guess, also just try not to make a tit out of yourself...I know this man who's the head off Elvis Costello, apparently mates of his once saw Mr Costello out in a bar with some woman holding hands and kissing and all that terrible carry on, thought it was this man, walked up to him to say "what the hell do you think you're doing Tom you're married?!" realised, just as he tapped him on the shoulder who it was and managed to mumble "what the hell do you..I love your work Tom" and left in shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I can only remember meeting one person who I consider to be fame worthy.
    I gushed at him and he was embarrassed and complimented my hair.

So ... many ... innuendos ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭KBarry

The only really famous person I've 'met' is Trevor McDonald walking down Oxford Street in London. When I realised who the dapper looking black gent walking towards me was I stopped in the middle of the street and broke into a demented grin. He gave me a look that said "Don't even think about it," and kept walking. He would probably have been sound if I hadn't looked like a mentalist.
    zuchum wrote: »
    ...but I saw Rosanna Davison in Dundrum two days ago and didn't know how to act...she looked a bit orange though...

I always imagined she's orange. Sure, they're all pink inside so I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Lick them and then never wash your tongue again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

I like to act the same way they do when they see me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

eo980 wrote: »
    Why should you act any differently with them to anyone else, they're people too.
    exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

The best thing to do when you meet celebs is embarass them and yourself, they love it !

This is exactly what happened me a few yrs back, I was working in a pub at the back of Trinity College which is quite close to Westland Studios. Anyway in walks Jim Corr and Andrea for a pot of tea for two and hang sangwitches. When they were leaving they came up to pay and I told Andrea that I loved her performance at the Royal Albert Hall on Paddys Day ( it was the one that really broke through the Corrs in the UK ). She duly informed me that she wasn't Andrea Corr but Andrea Roche, the former Miss Ireland ! I later learned that Jim was going out with her so I had basically stood there and mistaken his girlfriend for his sister !
    In my defense they do look a wee bit similar, Jim should've known better than to go out with someone who looks like his sister:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 slingshotninja.

Are you saying Roseanna Davidson is an umpa loompa.:) I assume she's famous but who is she anyway.
    Met Ian brown before , I acted dissapointed , he had been a hero of mine !!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

kmart6 wrote: »
    not pre madonnas
    They were not Jewish? or they were all born after 1958? Oh wait you meant Prima Donnas...

Anyway I've met one or two, made a tit of myself in front of David Grohl but other than that if I was serving them in the shop just treated them like a normal customer or if on the street and someone I respected just said "hey, like *insert album name(usually)*" and if I had something appropriate ask them would they mind signing it, some were cool some were not, just like normal people.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Holsten wrote: »

If I saw someone like Quentin Tarantino or someone who's work, be it music, film, art, etc I'd respect then I'd go up and at least say hello, I love your work, etc..

I meet him in Iceland. Asked him would he mind signing my friends cast. Told us to **** off. Some girls came over asked for an autograph and he did it. Total double standards the wanker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

Only two quite famous people I've met were Brad Pitt and Liam Neeson.[/QUOTE]

The Nearest I came to quiet famous was Bruce Forsyth in Blackpool

Brad Pitt is prob the most famous man on the planet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Daniel O'Donnell used to live a few doors up from me so I saw him a lot, have to say I never froze or anything like that, just let him get on with his business and me with mine, and you don't get any bigger stars than Daniel O'Donnell !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭afatbollix

they are normal people... I work with them every once and awhile and normally I wouldent say anything to them if they dident say anything to me... but normally they are sound and will chat to anyone...

its kinda funny they allways have to act like they know you when you go up to them... say hello lovely day... something normal people waking down the street would say to there naighbour.. other wise word gets out they are cranky basterds...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

eo980 wrote: »

It sort of depends who it is I think, if you happen to be a fan of that person it would be a little hard not to notice them out of a crowd and be compelled to at least say hello to them.

Of course being polite is of upmost importance and if they want to be left alone, be polite and give them their privacy.

Im my experience, if you're polite and the famous person isnt a stuck up arsehole, they'll at least say hello to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I would don my rape hat.
    I put on my robe and wizard hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I'd treat them as I do everybody else. Which is usually ignoring the fact that they're there. If they start talking to me I'd give them the same blunt responses I give everybody so that they go away.

I don't admire anybody myself. Well, nobody who's actually real. :pac:

Irish Halo wrote: »
    They were not Jewish? or they were all born after 1958? Oh wait you meant Prima Donnas

:o...In my defence it was late and I was tired:D....lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

zuchum wrote: »
    What should you do?
    What "should" you do? Jesus Christ. I dunno... Nothing?
    If I was famous for some legitimate reason i wouldnt mind people saying hi...but I saw Rosanna Davison in Dundrum two days ago and didn't know how to act
    So you feel you have to act a certain way in front of a nobody like Rosanna Davison? How about not bolstering her already unjustifiedly massive ego and just being yourself?
    Like wise when I met Niall Quinn I froze..
    He's just a person, breathing the same air as you are.

Acting all awestruck would make anyone despise you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'd act normal. In fact i wouldn't be thinking of acting anyway other than how i feel like acting. It's pathetic people who go crazy over meeting someone famous as if they're some sort of god. Unless it's Penelope Cruz. mmmm...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

"I met Niall Quinn and I froze"

Jesus man.

Niall Quinn would think less than sh1t about you so you should probably think the same about him.
    So he made a few bob kicking a pig's stomach around a pitch in front of crazy, screaming monkeys.
    So what?

The guy is only human.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

they are just as human as you and me.. well that could be debatable..:eek:

i just treat them like any other stranger.. with respect, you never know what they can do for you in the future.

just a few i've met, talked to or been on the p!ss with:
    Woody Harrelson
    Colm Meaney
    Shane Mc Gowan
    Mundy
    Glen Hansard
    Paul Bettany
    Jonathan Pryce
    Mick Lally
    Cillian Murphy

just to name a few.. all as sound as the next person.
    never going drinking with Shane McGowan ever again:eek:

forgot to mention.. i sat across from Niall Quin in a chippy while he and his family had fish'n'chips.. sound fella (especailly seeing as i dont like football/soccer what ever you want to call it

never going drinking with Shane McGowan ever again
    Now that would be some experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Seen loads of famous musicians when I worked in a popular music venue in town. I don't get excited, it's part of the job and ya get used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I met Katie French in liffey valley shopping centre.

She stood on my toe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I did meet Michael Dubarry in Krystal last September.. we were chatting for about a half an hour while the shangers were chatting up Doyle and Shane Long.

I had a drinking race with former Aussie Rugby legend Joe Roff.

I won.

I used to work as a radio researcher so I met/spoke on the phone to a few well known people - my favourite was Baldrick out of Blackadder :)
    That was via the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Just treat them like you would anyone else.

But there's an exception to that, if they're with their families, don't bother them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I saw Julian Cleary in a shopping center in Essex, I think he was doing a Daz ad but was standing so still I thought it was a mannequin so I paid no attention and walked on. Probably would have given him a kick in the shins if he even looked at me wrong! :D I looked around when I was out of sight and he was talking to some camera men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Scream and point at them. They love it.

Tell them you're a big fan but you thought their last album/film/match was absolute ****e. They'll appreciate the honesty.

Actually heard a good one on the radio last week. Nothing against Brad Pitt or anything but thought this was funny.

A bunch of Irish soldiers were used as extras for a scene in The Devil's Own. When they'd finished filming Brad Pitt comes up the them and says "I heard some of you guys wanted a photo taken?" One of the soldiers hands him a camera and says "Make sure you get us all in". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Hudson 4 ever

I would come on their face

Rossana Davison is not famous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I served Pele when I worked in a hotel years ago. He was over here promoting some visa card or something. I hadn't a clue who he was but there were loads of people making a fuss over him. That night I was out with a group of guys and I mentioned I met some footballer. I couldn't remember his name but after a couple of hours I went Pele Pele that was his name. They were really fcuked off that I didn't get his autograph.

A friend of mine was in work one day and that gob****e who plays Dev in Corrie came in. It was the day after he was presumed dead on the show as he had been caught in a fire in one of his shops. Anyway, my friend saw him and shouted out 'Dev you're alive!!' in front of lots of ppl in the shop. He just stared at her and then continued looking at tiles or whatever he was doing. cringe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I served Pele when I worked in a hotel years ago. He was over here promoting some visa card or something. I hadn't a clue who he was but there were loads of people making a fuss over him. That night I was out with a group of guys and I mentioned I met some footballer. I couldn't remember his name but after a couple of hours I went Pele Pele that was his name. They were really fcuked off that I didn't get his autograph.

A friend of mine was in work one day and that gob****e who plays Dev in Corrie came in. It was the day after he was presumed dead on the show as he had been caught in a fire in one of his shops. Anyway, my friend saw him and shouted out Dev your alive in front of lots of ppl in the shop. He just stared at her and continued looking at tiles or whatever he was doing. cringe

Now that's a proper celebrity...I tried to meet hm when he was signing his book in Easons...no chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I met Peter O'Toole and asked his support for the IWA (for whom I was collecting) and he ignored me.

My general policy would be to nod or smile but not hassle them, there's enough weirdos doing that already..........

• Registered Users Posts: 49 pendude

in case of Rossana Davison, you go up to her and say : (grab her ass)very niiice, how much?!
    or just tell them to get the **** out of your way, confuse them that way!

but seriously, ask urself, what would Jesus do ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement