Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

steam is annoying

Options
  • 17-05-2008 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I downloaded company of heroes.
    It took a while and the download froze a couple of times making me have to try to launch it to continue.
    I turned it on and played the tutorial. Looked good. Saw that because i don;t have a disk it seems to need an internet connection active all the time towork which is annoying.
    Quit it. Saw that Opposing Front was Preloaded in steam. I didn;t get opposing fronts so this was just advertising basically so I deleted the local game content.
    But that deleted company of heroes too apparently. Back to downloading for me!
    ffs like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Thats sounds like a pain in the arse alrite

I have never had problems downloading content off steam before, I would get between 300-500 kb/sec on my 3mb connection and I have never encountered the freezing you described. What kind of connection are you running?

I can't dis steam. I think its a brilliant service they provide
    - (Good) downloadable games
    - Cheaper
    - Good download rate
    - Free weekends
    - guest passes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Think the download freezes when you launch a non-steam game through steam, and doesn't restart when you close it etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

the steam skin is pretty crap though, everythings the colour of shït

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I personally think that Steam is fantastic. Was a pain at first, but now it is the best service available for online distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Kiith wrote: »
    I personally think that Steam is fantastic. Was a pain at first, but now it is the best service available for online distribution.

+1
    I wish every game came through steam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Its a great distribution platform, as for everything else it does... xfire does it better. One pet peeve about steam is the splash ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

robby^5 wrote: »
    One pet peeve about steam is the splash ads.

Oh yeah, those are bloody annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

they are giving away the first 11 levels of portal, downloading now will finally get to see what all the fuss was about

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Krieg wrote: »
    - Good download rate

Indeed - used to get sub standard rates my self, but Valve placed some content servers in Ireland a few months back which seems to have helped greatly.:)
    MooseJam wrote: »
    they are giving away the first 11 levels of portal, downloading now will finally get to see what all the fuss was about

There are a few offers on steam at the moment, The ATI Offer and The Nvidia Offer are worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

MooseJam wrote: »
    the steam skin is pretty crap though, everythings the colour of shït

At least it's not the old skin, that was horrendous. It not only looked like ****, it ran like **** aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Oh and if you are looking for some custom skinds - then you may want to read this thread.:)

my download rate is generally around 100k whichy is good enough though not really compared to what others are getting it seems. Until it freezes of course.
    I find it a neat way (in the literal sense not the slang sense) of oraganizing games. But ads are annoying and the easy deletion of the game was annoying too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Cosmonaut

Yea Steam was pretty horrific back when HL2 was launched, but its solid now. You just have to be patient with it. Restarting it usually solves any issues, and you really shouldnt delete local content from somthing thats not on a disk unless youve explored every other option. Especially not an expansion pack with is obviously going to be messed with the core game.

The thing is I didn't delete an expansion pack - I didn't buy the expansion pack - but when you get the game without it it puts up a link for the expansion pack in your games list. That's all I wanted to delete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

Company Of Heroes is 8 euro in Virgin (Zavvi) in Cork.

The expansion uninstalls the originl game anyway so I guess that removing the local content removes all useable COH content too so you have to download again. Sucks really.

Best RTS ever made really though :D

Advertisement