Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Approval

Options
  • 17-05-2008 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I have a quick question about getting mortgage approval.
    My situation is;
    I have my own site which my father gave me, i have planning permission for this house to build which will cost 250,000k. Now i have 20k of that saved and I earn 55 k per year, i can afford the mortgage. No other loans and a clear credit rating (i checked with the ICB).
    What I'm worried about is that my employer is on shaky ground. Its a good business with a high turnover. Thing is he has been bankrupted 10 years ago and went through an examination process 2 years age.

Now the question is if the lending institution can hold this against me when deciding on approving the mortgage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

caoibhin wrote: »
    Hi all
    My situation is;
    I have my own site which my father gave me, i have planning permission for this house to build which will cost 250,000k. Now i have 20k of that saved and I earn 55 k per year, i can afford the mortgage. No other loans and a clear credit rating (i checked with the ICB).
    What I'm worried about is that my employer is on shaky ground. Its a good business with a high turnover. Thing is he has been bankrupted 10 years ago and went through an examination process 2 years age.

Now the question is if the lending institution can hold this against me when deciding on approving the mortgage.

The truth is - possibly. It depends on if there is any basis for what you are worried about. If the bank you approached had knowledge that your employer might go under, then certainly they would have to reassess the situation (given today's climate). However, the main focus is on your profession/skills etc. How readily employable are you? Is there a lot of demand for your profession? What I mean is that certain professions such as doctors/solicitors/accountants etc are considered very safe.

Why don't you make an appointment with your bank and find out? There's only one way to find out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

dotsman wrote: »
    The truth is - possibly. It depends on if there is any basis for what you are worried about. If the bank you approached had knowledge that your employer might go under, then certainly they would have to reassess the situation (given today's climate). However, the main focus is on your profession/skills etc. How readily employable are you? Is there a lot of demand for your profession? What I mean is that certain professions such as doctors/solicitors/accountants etc are considered very safe.

Why don't you make an appointment with your bank and find out? There's only one way to find out!

Thanks, im a forestry so we are relatively unaffected by economic changes outside Ireland, full employment in the profession. I think i will just call into the bank and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Hi all
    My situation is;

^^ Thats all the lending institution needs to know.

The other questions are for you:
    How likely is it that you will lose your job?
    How hard will it be to get another?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Gurgle wrote: »
    ^^ Thats all the lending institution needs to know.

The other questions are for you:
    How likely is it that you will lose your job?
    How hard will it be to get another?

Very unlikely to loose my job, cash flow problems due to the companies poor accounting and bad debtors.
    Could start with a semi-state within a matter of days if i wanted. I suppose im just overanalysing it by wondering if the bank will check my employers credit history.
    Thanks for the help lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 MortgageBrbr

Hi all
    My situation is;

If you were involved in the business with your employer 10 years ago this may affect your credit rating if not you should be fine. You can request a report from www.icb.ie this will give you your credit rating. Think it costs about €7 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

If you were involved in the business with your employer 10 years ago this may affect your credit rating if not you should be fine. You can request a report from www.icb.ie this will give you your credit rating. Think it costs about €7 euro.

In his post he says that he checked the ICB. :rolleyes:

Advertisement