Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cork City Centre - Trafficlights problem

Options
  • 17-05-2008 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

Been trouble with the traffic lights all morning.

A lot of them are staying on red. An even bigger problem are the motorists who steadfastly just won't run the red light.

I'm guessing that the proper procedure in this case is to proceed with extreme caution ?

Traffic backed up all the way to the skew bridge when I passed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Shame on them for not breaking the red light.

Proper procedure would be to ring up the council and ask what's going on..not proceed with caution through a red light...

They'll either fix it or have Gardas down directing traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ocj

Seems to be a power problem,
    It's on the rte website.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0517/cork.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭johncm

most of the lights in the city either not working or stuck on red. there was a fire in an esb sub station according to the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Shame on them for not breaking the red light.

Proper procedure would be to ring up the council and ask what's going on..not proceed with caution through a red light...

They'll either fix it or have Gardas down directing traffic.

So you'd honestly wait for half an hour (or more) at a red traffic light when it is plainly obvious that you can go through a junction safely and wait for a Garda to direct traffic ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

So you'd honestly wait for half an hour (or more) at a red traffic light when it is plainly obvious that you can go through a junction safely and wait for a Garda to direct traffic ?

I wouldn't go through a red traffic light.

If I was first in the queue you can go around me if ya think it's the right thing to do.
    You wouldn't be waiting a half an hour either.

• Advertisement

ClioV6 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go through a red traffic light.

If I was first in the queue you can go around me if ya think it's the right thing to do.
    You wouldn't be waiting a half an hour either.

Took me a good half hour to get through the city centre and the last set of traffic lights I passed (The ones under the rail bridge which used to have the Cork Dry Gin sign, had no cops there.)

Come to think of it, I didn't see cops anywhere.

Anyone know what's the exact rules regarding malfunctioning traffic lights and without a pointsman present ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

If the lights aren't working, you're supposed to act as if they're not there. If the lights on a roundabout aren't working, normal roundabout rules apply - give way to traffic already on the roundabout.

In the city centre this gets complicated. Traffic on the main road has right of way, but which is the main road?

If the lights aren't working, you're supposed to act as if they're not there. If the lights on a roundabout aren't working, normal roundabout rules apply - give way to traffic already on the roundabout.

In the city centre this gets complicated. Traffic on the main road has right of way, but which is the main road?

Easy on T junctions, where anyone going straight on would have right of way.

Very complicated to tell on crossroads.

Things would have been fine this morning if they had proceeded with caution as there was very little traffic on a saturday morning. However, some steadfastly refused to move at red lights (one on a pedestrian crossing oddly enough) and caused traffic chaos. After the traffic backs up, you can hardly proceed with caution through crossroads as the backlogue of traffic on both sides will fight to get through without anyone know right of way.

I still don't understand why the person steadfastly refused to run a broken red light on a pedestrian crossing. Whoever it was caused traffic to backup past the skew bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

was due to a power cut alright, all machines at black ash were out too. apparently due to fault at 3 substations in north side

Advertisement