Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P4 Socket 478 Processors

Options
  • 17-05-2008 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a fairly old PC and I'd like to squeeze a couple more years out of it. In the long run I'll probably get a new system, but a couple of hundred euro now will easily do the job for me, I'm not that heavy a user.

It's a HP Compaq DX2000 MT which can be seen here...

http://hp.icecat.biz/en/p/PE200EA/HP%2520Compaq%2520dx2000%2520Celeron%2520D%2520320%2520256M%252F40G%2520CD-ROM%2520LAN%2520WXP%2520Pro%2520SP1%2520a.htm

Anyhow, I've thrown a bit of extra RAM in and got myself a larger HD, all fairly cheap and easy upgrades.

I'd like to replace the processor too. It's currently a 2.4Ghz Celeron, and I'd like to get the P4 instead.

Any ideas where I might be able to get P4 478 Sockets processors? The Bios says the FSB is 533MHz but the page above says I can get a 800Mhz Processor? Somewhere online I'm guessing but so far I've only found US sites that don't deliver to Ireland. I'm sure there are places out there, but I haven't found them yet.

Another question - I've put in 2 DDR400 1GB DIMMS, and the Bios tells me they're running at 333Mhz. This might be my ignorance, but shouldn't they be running at 400MHz? Is that a jumper setting on the Motherboard, that I'll maybe change when I upgrade the processor?

I used to be a lot better at this, but the last time I messed around with the inside of PCs a lot, PCI was brand new, never mind AGP and PCI-E! Thanks for any advice...

J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Try adverts.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

Those Northwood chips Nforce has are ideal. They were the fastest (3.4Ghz) you could get for Socket 478. Maybe needs a BIOS setting changed to support DDR400 or maybe it will change itself when you install a 800FSB CPU. Those Northwoods have hyper-threading as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I've withdrawn the ad as i'll get better exposure on ebay. Let me know asap if you want one of these Jason :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ebay is your best bet. I upgraded a friends machine from a 2.4 Celeron to 2.8 P4 lately and it cost 20 euro including postage, of which 12 I made back on the Celeron.

Celeron 478 with its minuscule cache (assuming its not a celeron d) is a horrible performance, any half decent P4 will be a huge performance leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭jasonb

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the advice!

NForce, I'm definitely interested, I didn't see the ad on Adverts ( or eBay ), what Spec / Price are you talking about?

Will I be able to use the Cooling Fan that's currently on the Celeron ( and it is a Celeron D ) or will I have to buy another one? That shouldn't be too much problem though, there are Socket 478 fans around the place.

I'll send you a PM too NForce...

Jason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

jasonb wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for the advice!

NForce, I'm definitely interested, I didn't see the ad on Adverts ( or eBay ), what Spec / Price are you talking about?

Will I be able to use the Cooling Fan that's currently on the Celeron ( and it is a Celeron D ) or will I have to buy another one? That shouldn't be too much problem though, there are Socket 478 fans around the place.

I'll send you a PM too NForce...

Jason.
    The same fan should work ok but you'll need to clean it and apply more thermal compound to the hsf/chip :)

Nick

Advertisement