Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hands on with Renault?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Avensis not sold in the US and besides all Avensi are made in Burnaston, Derbyshire.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 skdb

Many thanks for all your opinions guys in regard to the Renault.

Reading through this thread, I think the general census of a car opinion if its good or bad has general contributary factors that form that very opinion;

Way of the Driver
    Car maintenance
    Knowledge of what you drive
    Or just plain Luck

At the end of the day, I think its a matter of just trying it out. If its a good experience, great, if not, move onto something else.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 BM_318i

Some go wrong some don't, simple as that.

My parents had a 04 Megane, which gave no trouble bar an electric window switch.
    I had a 00 Megane which suffered almighty abuse and never even faltered.
    My girlfriend has a 96 Megane and its only stopped once in 2 years for no real reason.

The only major problem with those engines is that the coils can go, nothing massive to get done. They're also comfortable and nice to drive, a lot more plesant to sit in than equlivant japanese stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

The missus has a 2000 scenic, 1.4 16v. Bought it second hand 5 years ago, and so far (touches wood) have had no major problems with it.

Being a 1.4 I find it under powered, the boss dosn't have a problem with it, it's her car...
    having said that we have just come back from a week in france covering over 1100 miles with out a bother.

It is great as a family car, individual rear seats, great for runs to the dump, take out the seats and you can really pack in a lot of rubbish :D
    Twin sunroof, air con, nice relatively high driving position, comfy long distance car, but soft in the bends. The onboard computer says that it averages 39.8mpg at the moment.

The only nasty shock we got was when we got the timing belt / service done, renault wanted over €1300, got it done by an independant for €850.

We don't expect to get much for it at this stage, 8 years old with over 90,000miles, was hoping to change it for a Corolla Verso this year.

Had a slight problem with restarting the car once warm, mechanic couldn't find any faults on his diagnostic equipment, so i had a look at a renault forum saw it was a common enough problem with a very easy and cheap fix.

Have heard of other horror stories but so far so good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

hey op
    our family had one and in its time it was very well equiped very good for families and this is the reason they were quite popular at the time and why we got one
    as another poster refered to the car was a nice place to be

however the 1.4 engine is just about enough to bring the car along and we had problems with it(coils) a family friend had the exact same problem and we got rid of it quite quickly because of these issues but Im not slating frenchies once I would have wrote them all off but it just seems that you can get more varying quality some dont have problems some do

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The usual "I drove one and it was fine" crew are now out in force.

So are the "other brands have issues too" possee.

Any chance we can keep this on topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

scenics are ok , for safetys sake go for a 2001+ but mechanically , 1994-1999 where the best

renaults are Very relyable its only the driver who isnt.... see the main issue is back in the days ( pre 2000 ) where certins models ( like the clio ) where manual choke and such and people who couldn't use this destroyed the engines in them by stalling all day long.

but yeah pre-2000 renault is the best bet because you can buy litterally 2 and use one for parts if you need them.

the max milege id go for on a renault is around 400k. haven said that , id probbaly only use it for parts with that kinda milage but dont let the badge put you off , Most of these cars where built to last.... if they dont, make em !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

S.I.R wrote: »
    scenics are ok , for safetys sake go for a 2001+ but mechanically , 1994-1999 where the best

renaults are Very relyable its only the driver who isnt.... see the main issue is back in the days ( pre 2000 ) where certins models ( like the clio ) where manual choke and such and people who couldn't use this destroyed the engines in them by stalling all day long.

but yeah pre-2000 renault is the best bet because you can buy litterally 2 and use one for parts if you need them.

the max milege id go for on a renault is around 400k. haven said that , id probbaly only use it for parts with that kinda milage but dont let the badge put you off , Most of these cars where built to last.... if they dont, make em !

Very good post :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Not often I agree with you Henry, but that post has some primo gibberish.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm on my second Renault - had a Renault for the last 6 years. They do have problems, but nothing beyond the ordinary if you get them serviced when you are supposed to. Did have ongoing issue with starter motor once and main dealer couldn't detect the issue on "their computer" - ended up cutting out and blocking one of the main exits to the M50 and getting pushed by a load of gardai! Made the 9.00 am news so I did!
    Even after that, the main dealer couldn't detect an issue on "the comuter".
    Resolved in the end ...

New car - issues with the driver window not opening - pain in the arse when trying to pay toll. Resolved!!

New car also sounds like a rattly CIE bus when starting in the morning.
    Still to resolve.

Thats 3 problems in 6 years of driving. In general, I like Renault and would buy one again. I think every manufactuer has issues with cars ! Lets not be fooled. Don't start me on the Opel story!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

bubby wrote: »
    I'm on my second Renault - had a Renault for the last 6 years. They do have problems, but nothing beyond the ordinary if you get them serviced when you are supposed to. Did have ongoing issue with starter motor once and main dealer couldn't detect the issue on "their computer" - ended up cutting out and blocking one of the main exits to the M50 and getting pushed by a load of gardai! Made the 9.00 am news so I did!
    Even after that, the main dealer couldn't detect an issue on "the comuter".
    Resolved in the end ...

New car - issues with the driver window not opening - pain in the arse when trying to pay toll. Resolved!!

New car also sounds like a rattly CIE bus when starting in the morning.
    Still to resolve.

Thats 3 problems in 6 years of driving. In general, I like Renault and would buy one again. I think every manufactuer has issues with cars ! Lets not be fooled. Don't start me on the Opel story!

:pac:
    Hmmmm. I dont think thats really a good sell story for Renault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭(CH3)2CHOH

Don't knock the Espace, best car ever..... pre 03 of course.

Apparently the newer ones are quite poor as far as reliability goes and we know of 2 families who have got rid of the new shape Espace.

Back to the OP our best friends are onto their 3rd Scienic since they come out. Never had any problems.

If your going for a 01 or 02 then nothing else really comes close for cost, practicallity and safety.

If you were shelling out for a 05/06 then a Verso or C-max would be the better option

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Well, we've had 3 - an I'm sorry we didn't go again, last time.........buying a Mazda instead (long story...)

I bought a new Mk 1 Scenic 1.4, a new facelift one (00) - and sold the other one to sister in law - and then an RX 4. The first two were new. The only issue we ever had, was with the 00 one (facelift) - coilpacks. However, the problem is so widespread you can now buy 4 new ones on eBay for peanuts - it isn't even worth taking it to a dealer to tell you what you know already. I got about 2 years out of a set of coilpacks, and cost Eur100 to replace, inside 10 minutes with one screwdriver.

Timing belt change on it - well here in Galway it cost Eur 350, so paying 850-1350 has nothing to do with the car - it's the garage you're dealing with....

My sis-in-law did over 90k before killing the first Scenic - not mechanically, but cosmetically -a complete shed...........so it got traded in after 8 years. We did 88k in ours and outside of the coilpacks it needed nothing - 2 sets of tyres, one set of brake pads, and it ran like as swiss watch. We still see it about, and it's still perfect. Ditto a friends 00 reg 1.4 Megane coupe with 100k + on it. Put it this way, the local garage here has no problem trading in Clio's and Scenic's - he tells me he has fewer after sales problems with those than Polo's or Golf's...........

They use no oil, like loads of revs, and I've never heard of the usual VAG problems like MAF's etc. In 3 Scenic's I never even had to change a clutch in 150k miles. Show me a VAG that's got that far, that cheaply.......

The RX4 was lovely - but godawful slow. Full leather, etc. Should have kept it and chipped it, but didn't.........instead, bought a spanking new 07 Galaxy TDci Zetec (current model ) to replace it - but it was a nightmare. Lovely car, lovely to drive - but couldn't trust it - lot's of turbo and elec issues with them, so off it went at 3 months old..........and bought an 02 Mazda 2.0 diesel - even with a 85k miles, and a history - it has turned out to be a nightmare. Engine has now officially expired at 88k miles, and I'm 13k out of pocket :mad:

So far, the 968 has proven cheaper to run than anything bar the Scenic's.

So, buy a 1.4 Scenic 16v (avoid the key-card models - they're slow as hell), or a 968....simple, really. :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

@ galwaytt, could you PM me the details of the garage, at €350 it would be well worth our time (and a good excuse to spend a day or two in Galway :D) getting the timing belt done there the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

OP, the best advice is to check the car out thoroughly and get a decent warranty (assuming you are buying from dealer). A lot of these stories about Renault reliability, or lack thereof, are carried down stories from the 70's.

I own a Renault myself. This is despite my family, some of my friends, my mechanic (I get servicing done privately in the evenings) and my local Renault garage telling me to get shot of it quick. It gets bad when the Renault garage themselves tell you to sell one of their own make!

I bought mine privately, but got a great price for it as a result. I intend switching, but will switch up to the next Renault like this, the Vel Satis, after a thorough inspection, of course. ;)

It's a '00 Safrane, so plenty of electrics that could potentially go belly-up, and in nearly two years it has only had wear-and-tear issues: shocks, bump stops, the bits that go onto your wishbones (x3), a couple of blown bulbs and normal service items. [I get this done every 4,000 miles, the car has 140,000 on it]. It is a 2.0 Petrol auto.

On a side-note, the car does have a Volvo engine and the autobox is Asin-Warner, not Renault, so maybe I allowed some of my Dad's rabid anti-Renault ethos in somewhere as a compromise. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭GTC

E92 wrote: »
    Avensis not sold in the US and besides all Avensi are made in Burnaston, Derbyshire.

Sorry, i meant 98-02 model. We had one in D unit before I moved to Traffic. It had the sticker across the cross member, "Made with pride in the USA".

Worst heap of sh*t we ever had. Worse even than the british-built junk.

Advertisement