Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel Framed Houses

Options
  • 17-05-2008 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

Hi,

am looking at buying a steel framed house - have lived in Timber framed and NEVER AGAIN, too much noise from next door, etc.......has anyone got any experience of living in steel framed houses - would be very grateful for feedback.......

Thanks,

CJM.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

No experience of living in a steel framed house- an observation, noise pollution from neighbouring houses/apartments is to do with the lack of insulation between apartments and not whether its concrete or timber framed. In some aspects a timber framed dwelling with sufficient insulation, is actually better at minimising both noise pollution and heat loss, than a concrete one would be. I don't think you should allow your experience with noise pollution from your neighbour influence your judgement on future purchases- you should however ensure that sufficient insulation is in place........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

cjmcork wrote: »
    Hi,

am looking at buying a steel framed house - have lived in Timber framed and NEVER AGAIN, too much noise from next door, etc.......has anyone got any experience of living in steel framed houses - would be very grateful for feedback.......

Thanks,

CJM.

Judging from your name I'm guessing you're looking in Cork at a house built by Fleming Construction? Well, I live in a semi-d one and the sound insulation ain't great. It's weird though - certain frequencies obviously travel more than others. Voices don't really come across but if someone, say, drops keys or something on the wooden floor, it's like the wall isn't even there! Heat insulation ain't the best either....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

yeah - the hermitage / glenties area in macroom........

Advertisement