Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M1 - Lane Hoggers

Options
  • 17-05-2008 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Yesterday evening round 7 30pm, I never saw anything like it: a Galway reg pick-up truck coasting at 100kmph on the outside lane on the M1 northbound (Past the 80kmph speed limit). After flashing my lights several times, he refused to budge, so I 'undertook' him while honking at the w@nker. I wasn't the only one: I saw at least half a dozen cars undertake him behind me. No sign of him moving - unbelievable.

Outside lane generally is for overtaking only. If you feel that you must cruise on it, at least do so at something that resembles the speed limit. Most people here don't need to be told this, but obviously some people out there haven't a notion of using a motorway, or are just plain ignorant. It is not worth it. You are putting lives at serious risk.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Agreed. There is no training for M-Way driving in Ireland to get a full licence. In fact, the only training is for housing estate driving. It's a situation that needs rectifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Yesterday evening round 7 30pm, I never saw anything like it: a Galway reg pick-up truck coasting at 100kmph on the outside lane on the M1 northbound (Past the 80kmph speed limit). After flashing my lights several times, he refused to budge, so I 'undertook' him while honking at the w@nker. I wasn't the only one: I saw at least half a dozen cars undertake him behind me. No sign of him moving - unbelievable.

Outside lane generally is for overtaking only. If you feel that you must cruise on it, at least do so at something that resembles the speed limit. Most people here don't need to be told this, but obviously some people out there haven't a notion of using a motorway, or are just plain ignorant. It is not worth it. You are putting lives at serious risk.

You shouldn't be cruising in the overtaking lane, period. Its called the overtaking lane and is for overtaking.

Calling the middle lane in a 3 lane motorway, "the fast lane" would be acceptable but not the outer lane in a 2 lane motorway.

This too gets on my nerves quite bad. Most of the people who do it don't have a clue that they are in the wrong. A small proportion do it on purpose. Nothing worse than some person in the outside lane mirroring exactly a car in the inside lane not being able to pass either.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

Drove over to Paris for the Rugby World Cup last year - with the exception of Paris itself, driving over there was a pleasure.

On the Dual carriage ways, everyone - absolutely everyone - drives on the "inside lane" (left here, right over there). When they meet a vehicle traveling at a slower speed, they pop out into the "outside lane", pass the vehicle and pop back to the inside lane... It actually amazed me how well it works when everyone is on the same page!!

I know the principle is the same here, but no one gets it!! Well, very few people. Even if you try to drive like this in Ireland, other drivers make it impossible!!

Driver education really needs to be expanded to include motorway driving. I think in Germany you have to complete specific lessons on Autobahn driving - great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think we need to add "lane hogging" threads to the banned list! ;)

Advertisement