Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Market Night Club Returns as Angel Lane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

and just to clear up the other point a club can be over 21s or any age it likes as long as it sticks to that age i.e if u say you are a over 21s club and leave in a few 19 year olds then its seen as discrimination. strange but true

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Stab*City wrote: »
    security course hmmm i know a few bouncers that never did a security course.. sounds very hard i wonder what it entails..

module 1: how to say regulars only
    module 2: how to ruin peoples nights
    module 3: how to be aggressive (courseware provided i.e steroids)
    module 4: how to operate a bluetooth headset
    module 5: how to look meanacing while wearing a black bomber jacket

as for garda clearance i have seen convicted criminals on doors in this city..

Bluetooth headset?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

mk-posie wrote: »
    21s and supposed to be good music.

jackncoke what you think to the grafitti adorning the estate?

Hope it gets cleaned up, even its a couple of weeks but they cant leave it there.

A book of condolences would have been better but I can undsertand teenagers want to show their respect, so not saying anything now but I hope its cleaned up after a while.
    Even the stop sign was taken down and they wrote all over that!
    And the sign to the main entrance!
    carraig-1.jpg

Sorry to have changed the subject
    Did he have some association with the club/area or why did they all write their messages there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

they're on offtopic mode, that on the signs outside the estate he got stabbed in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

You know, if you chat to bouncers and you aren't a complete tool, usually they're sound back.

I'd much rather less scumbags in a club even if it meant a few angsty, indie kids couldn't get in either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

dont you mean safe enough for him to sell his drugs and prey on pretty girls who have had too much to drink..
    and im sure they dislike him too.. what gives these ****in bouncers the right to label people scumbags when most of them are scumbags themselves i mean jesus everybody knows all you need to be a bouncer in limerick is a black bomber jacket a shaved head and an attitude like what u have described.. this place will never be as good as when it was called aurthers warehouse.. they can call it what they like and clean the carpet as much as they can but i will never go there.. the club scene in this town is ridiculous.. has been dj's and shhit music..
    security course hmmm i know a few bouncers that never did a security course.. sounds very hard i wonder what it entails..

module 1: how to say regulars only
    module 2: how to ruin peoples nights
    module 3: how to be aggressive (courseware provided i.e steroids)
    module 4: how to operate a bluetooth headset
    module 5: how to look meanacing while wearing a black bomber jacket

as for garda clearance i have seen convicted criminals on doors in this city..

Those are some pretty serious allegations you're throwing about there. Nobody will disagree with you about some bouncers being as*holes by nature, but what you're suggesting is ridiculously over-the-top. Take a chill-pill dude, seriously. It is also fair to say that this city is full of scumbags, and I for one am pretty damn happy that the worst of them can't get into clubs. It's sh!tty enough having to watch my back in Burger King in case somebody smashes in the windows, without having to worry about dodgey young fellas earlier in the night too.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

my apologies for taking this off topic,

so to bring it back to topic.

Opening night has been pushed out to next Thursday

not opening this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

WTF next Thursday, I was looking forward to going this Saturday night.

delays on licence being issued so the story goes

This happened with a few nightclubs I worked in before on opening nights or reopenings after refurbs.

When Docs (I know back in the day) was re launched after a huge makeover I was in vacuuming carpets as they were being laid right up until opening that night! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

An Fhile wrote: »
    Those are some pretty serious allegations you're throwing about there. Nobody will disagree with you about some bouncers being as*holes by nature, but what you're suggesting is ridiculously over-the-top. Take a chill-pill dude, seriously. It is also fair to say that this city is full of scumbags, and I for one am pretty damn happy that the worst of them can't get into clubs. It's sh!tty enough having to watch my back in Burger King in case somebody smashes in the windows, without having to worry about dodgey young fellas earlier in the night too.

this city is full of all walks of life.. i find it funny that people on this site take offence when i say things about bouncers but yet they themselves throw around allegations left, right and centre when it comes to people they label as "scumbags".. fair enough i know that not all bouncers are like i have described.. but limerick bouncers are in a league of their own when it comes to this kind of thing.. u only have to head out for a night in a different city to see how a bouncer should act.. for a long time the gangsters on the doors in limerick were as bad as the ones trying to get in..
    im sure this is changing because in this almost police state(for want of a better word) that we live in you cant fart without your neighbour having something to say.. regulations are being imposed on the whole country and im sure this applies to bouncers as well.. so all in all im not having a dig at all bouncers.. but those who have ruined my night on many occasion i am..

• Advertisement

jackncoke wrote: »
    Bluetooth headset?

ya you know the little earpieces they wear.. dont worry about it.. was only a bit of a joke anyway..

but limerick bouncers are in a league of their own when it comes to this kind of thing..

Not all bouncers though. I find some very courteous and helpful. but outside Icon last week, 2 of my friends were stopped because "your shoes are too cool lads". .......................

zuroph wrote: »
    Not all bouncers though. I find some very courteous and helpful. but outside Icon last week, 2 of my friends were stopped because "your shoes are too cool lads". .......................

see thats just taking the mick, they are only allowed say "certain phrases" under the law. and must stick to the same reason if questioned. (from my day anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

That Icon is crazy, they let you in one week and stop you the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

That Icon is crazy, they let you in one week and stop you the next week.

+1 That place stinks

well ive stopped giving that place my business a long time ago for that exact reason, the door staff are on a serious power trip. hopefully this new palce will have decent doorstaff.

i rather have cool kicks than get in the icon anyday.. bet they looked cool walking away though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Not all bouncers though. I find some very courteous and helpful.
    I can think of 2 off hand....and I'm not even sure that the second one (the Kiwi dude in Trinity Rooms) is still bouncing in Limerick.

ninty9er wrote: »
    I can think of 2 off hand....and I'm not even sure that the second one (the Kiwi dude in Trinity Rooms) is still bouncing in Limerick.

i knew the kiwi dude.. v nice guy.. not sure what he is up to these days.. i think its more the irish bouncers i was refering too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Georgie Boy

thats Matt Tepau
    I tol dhim i was gonna 'get him' on the rugby field after he turfed me out one night
    thats how hard i am

currently i am barred from icon and trinity, so looking forward to this angel lane place where i give myself 3 weeks at best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

Matt Tepau makes you hard.
    Interesting one that...

i remember matt "china in your hands" tepau.. but i was talking about a fella called robbie.. sound bloke put his neck on the line one night to help me get in a club..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 DannyAngellane

Hi Guys,

I am one of the managers of Angel Lane so let me try to dispel some of the rumours, as regards what our age policy will be its over 21’s, no more kids or as someone put it earlier “scumbags” like The Market used to be. Yes, the carpet is gone. No we didn’t keep our old sound system, we have a new one “Funktion One Dance Stack” to be precise. It’s the largest one of its kind in the country. Yes, we did make a huge investment I wont go into figures but as the banner outside says “5 Bars – 4 Zones – 3 Levels – 2 Smoking Area’s – 1 Superclub” its not just hype the club is unbelievable if I do say so myself!! You won’t believe your in Ireland not to mind Limerick or the old Market. The club has been completely stripped back to 4 walls and almost doubled in size. Obviously with such a large investment we fully intend to be the number one club in the area and one of the key points we will be making big changes to is the way customers are treated from the moment they reach the front door, so that includes the way you will be treated by security. Music wise there are 2 clubs and I think most tastes will be catered for. As for when we are opening, at the moment all I can say is very, very soon!!! Keep an eye out for our website www.angellane.ie it will be coming online over the next day or two. You will be able to register for membership and receive a range of benefits such as discounts, complementary drinks etc, the list goes on. We are not exclusively a members club but the benefits of registering as a member make it very worthwhile and of course membership is free. Hope to see ye in the near future.

so will this be a proper club with decent music or is it another icon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Georgie Boy

i dont think anyone is gonna get too excited being honest.
    Its like when Icon or Trinity opened forst.
    After the initial furore and hype died down, it just became 'another' club

Wan*er bouncers, cheesy chart music and over-priced drink.
    Look at the cornmarket for example, i know its a pub rather than a club but this was the place to be seen when it first opened, i wouldnt even take a dump in there now.

Also, this Angel Lane is supposed to HHUUUUGGGGEEEE, but look at Limericks demographics, how on earth are you going to fill the place.
    Unless you can get everyone from Icon, Trinity and Aubars in there but thats not going to happen.
    I was in Galway for the weekend and every pub was choccers, during the day and night
    You dont get that in Limerick, Saturday aside and then its only busy at night, once a week.
    This Angel Lane could be one very expensive flop!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Its like when Icon or Trinity opened forst.
    After the initial furore and hype died down, it just became 'another' club

Wan*er bouncers, cheesy chart music and over-priced drink.
    Look at the cornmarket for example, i know its a pub rather than a club but this was the place to be seen when it first opened, i wouldnt even take a dump in there now.

Also, this Angel Lane is supposed to HHUUUUGGGGEEEE, but look at Limericks demographics, how on earth are you going to fill the place.
    Unless you can get everyone from Icon, Trinity and Aubars in there but thats not going to happen.
    I was in Galway for the weekend and every pub was choccers, during the day and night
    You dont get that in Limerick, Saturday aside and then its only busy at night, once a week.
    In a way I tend to agree with you here.

+1

i agree totally.. both trinity and icon are just regular discos in my eyes.. fair enough trinity gets some good (good not great) dj's.. but they always book them for sunday night or other weeknight reason being is these dj's are usually playing in another part of ireland on the fri or sat.. so trinity get these dj's at a reduced rate.. which is handy but not good enough.. and that also means when the international dj is already in the country the dont have to pay flight expenses..

only way id get excited or even interested in a club in limerick would b if a well known club (cream, MOS, home, fabric, POD or the likes) got involved with the running of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Hold on a second! :mad:

How long have people been bitchin and moanin bout Limerick badly needin a new club? Now that one is arriving, the knives are out already! WTF?! From what i've heard and read, there has been significant investment in an attempt to make this place different, and it is apparently very impressive (know a chap who is gonna be barstaff).

Give me one example where a place has still held the same excitement for regular punters months after its initial release. Of course the novelty is gonna wear off eventually! I love goin out in Galway every couple of months, and all the lads I go out with up their don't approach a night out with the same excitement as I would. Vice versa when they are down here!

All talk right now is heresay, and therefore, BS. Come back with something constructive to say once you been in there. Give the place a chance a be grateful that someone is investing a lot of money to provide another option on a night out!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You make a good point here.

I think they'll have to rely on the student market (Tuesday and Thursday nights) in order to challenge the existing clubs, and that will involve relaxing the 21s rule for those nights. Can anyone see that happening? It's a long wait til September to find out...

• Advertisement

Fizman wrote: »
    Hold on a second! :mad:

How long have people been bitchin and moanin bout Limerick badly needin a new club? Now that one is arriving, the knives are out already! WTF?! From what i've heard and read, there has been significant investment in an attempt to make this place different, and it is apparently very impressive (know a chap who is gonna be barstaff).

Give me one example where a place has still held the same excitement for regular punters months after its initial release. Of course the novelty is gonna wear off eventually! I love goin out in Galway every couple of months, and all the lads I go out with up their don't approach a night out with the same excitement as I would. Vice versa when they are down here!

All talk right now is heresay, and therefore, BS. Come back with something constructive to say once you been in there. Give the place a chance a be grateful that someone is investing a lot of money to provide another option on a night out!

i could give you 10 examples of places who consistently bring groundbreaking live acts and dj's to ireland.. (pod, tmc, spirit) all the above clubs put on a great show every night and thats why people still go to these places week in week out.. look back at sir henrys in cork another place that kept its regulars happy week in week out.. yes all talk is heresay (including your comments) till the doors open.. and we may have less constructive things to say when the doors do.. BE GRATEFUL!! grateful you mean that someone has invested money in a buisness venture to make more money!! they dont give a F**K if we have somewhere to go or not.. all they care about is the €..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement