Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Market Night Club Returns as Angel Lane

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Fizman wrote: »
    Hold on a second! :mad:

How long have people been bitchin and moanin bout Limerick badly needin a new club? Now that one is arriving, the knives are out already! WTF?! From what i've heard and read, there has been significant investment in an attempt to make this place different, and it is apparently very impressive (know a chap who is gonna be barstaff).

Give me one example where a place has still held the same excitement for regular punters months after its initial release. Of course the novelty is gonna wear off eventually! I love goin out in Galway every couple of months, and all the lads I go out with up their don't approach a night out with the same excitement as I would. Vice versa when they are down here!

All talk right now is heresay, and therefore, BS. Come back with something constructive to say once you been in there. Give the place a chance a be grateful that someone is investing a lot of money to provide another option on a night out!

I agree, let's just see how it goes.

The Limerick area is big enough to need a better club, let's give it a chance.

Btw, during the college year in Galway, several of the clubs section of areas and only open the smaller parts of them. I presume the same will happen in this new place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Georgie Boy

Fizman, sounds like you have shares in the place
    Truth is, its just another club in Limerick
    It doesnt come with any reputation , its going to go the way of Trinity and Icon.
    Instead of having 2 options on a night out (3 if you include Aubars) there'll be an alternative.
    i'm not slating it, it hasnt even opened yet but after reading the managers posts on page 4, you'd think that th greatest club in the world was about to open
    I've been in Limerick too long to know that this will be another flash in the pan and it wont be long before the stinky carpets and flat pints set in

Supposedly they've pulled off a coup and got that DJ from Trinity rooms who plays on the Will Leahy show (some coup, i cant even remember his name) but if his play lists are anything to go by AngelLane will be awash with Vengaboys and Beach Ball

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

be grateful that someone is investing a lot of money to provide another option on a night out!

The Mother Therese Of The Limerick Nightclubs has arrived. The Good Woman is here to give generous to the in-needs. Praise her and her godly intentions!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Stab*City wrote: »
    grateful you mean that someone has invested money in a buisness venture to make more money!! they dont give a F**K if we have somewhere to go or not.. all they care about is the €..

And who ever said we were a nation of begrudgers? :rolleyes:

So would you rather they just pissed off to Cork or Galway?

Like any other enterprise on the planet.....the sole objective is to make money! How do they initially make back some of the money invested? Hype it up for a few weeks and get big crowds. How do they keep making money in the long term? Keep their customers happy to a sufficient level so that they will keep coming back.
    they dont give a F**K if we have somewhere to go or not.. all they care about is the €..
    Sorry but I have to laugh at this comment! Thats like sayin that Microsoft dont give a **** if we dont have operating systems to work on.

Or Apple dont give a **** if we dont have gadgets to listen to music on. Or Golden Vale didnt give a **** if we had milk to drink. I think you get my point.

All this works hand in hand.....they want to make lots of money, we want to go somewhere that'll entertain us. Neither is going to happen if they didn't "give a f**K".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Fizman, sounds like you have shares in the place

Trust me Georgie, I have no vested interest in this place whatsoever!! Apart from the fact that I hope it does turn out to be a decent place to go to. It just pisses me off reading the attitudes some have to new ventures opening in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

i could give you 10 examples of places who consistently bring groundbreaking live acts and dj's to ireland.. (pod, tmc, spirit) all the above clubs put on a great show every night and thats why people still go to these places week in week out.. look back at sir henrys in cork another place that kept its regulars happy week in week out.. yes all talk is heresay (including your comments) till the doors open.. and we may have less constructive things to say when the doors do.. BE GRATEFUL!! grateful you mean that someone has invested money in a buisness venture to make more money!! they dont give a F**K if we have somewhere to go or not.. all they care about is the €..

Trinity Rooms has had more up and coming acts than I can actually remember, but there's rarely an interest in them from the crowd. Two examples of this would be BoyzNoise & Phil Keiran, where the turnout was shi*.

The Pod & Trinity share most acts that are brought over, so you're completely wrong when you suggest that Pod is better than Trinity Rooms when it comes to acts.

Trust me Georgie, I have no vested interest in this place whatsoever!! Apart from the fact that I hope it does turn out to be a decent place to go to. It just pisses me off reading the attitudes some have to new ventures opening in the city.
    but the dissenting voices are probably the same as me , i.e. long enough around the block to know what happens to all these clubs and their 'promises'

In my time of going out i've seen the rise and fall of The Henry Cecil, Cheers, Temple of Sound, The Gallery, Docs, The Market.
    Icon is so unbelievably crap its not even funny and Trinity Rooms tried to start as this real upmarket place, i remeber the bouncers dressed like penguins for the initial first months. Now its just another uniform bland club with overpriced alcohol, bouncers out of touch with reality and music i wouldnt even listen to if you paid me
    But yes, i know, we're the fools (Joe Publics like you and me)
    We keep paying to get in, we fork over the fiver for a pint. But i think its about time we stood up and said NO MORE

As an aside, we have a massive eastern european population in Limerick, allyou have to do is walk around the city centre on a saturday afternoon, but how come is it, that on a saurday nite you would be hard pressed to find one lithuanian, latvian or polish person
    Its because they have seen what our clubs have to offer and that is fu*k all
    Why will Angel lane be any different

The manager says there'l lbe 5 bars, i dont care how many bars there are, just ensure you have enough bar staff to keep the paying customers happy because they seem to forget, without us, they are nothing

but the dissenting voices are probably the same as me , i.e. long enough around the block to know what happens to all these clubs and their 'promises'

In my time of going out i've seen the rise and fall of The Henry Cecil, Cheers, Temple of Sound, The Gallery, Docs, The Market.
    Icon is so unbelievably crap its not even funny and Trinity Rooms tried to start as this real upmarket place, i remeber the bouncers dressed like penguins for the initial first months. Now its just another uniform bland club with overpriced alcohol, bouncers out of touch with reality and music i wouldnt even listen to if you paid me
    But yes, i know, we're the fools (Joe Publics like you and me)
    We keep paying to get in, we fork over the fiver for a pint. But i think its about time we stood up and said NO MORE

Pints in Trinity rooms are €4.50. There are 3 rooms playing different styles of music (typically Dance in the Courtyard, Hip hop & R'n'B in the Quarter club and commercial in the main room), so if you can't find something to your taste then your taste is obviously a lot different to the majority of customers in the place.
    As an aside, we have a massive eastern european population in Limerick, allyou have to do is walk around the city centre on a saturday afternoon, but how come is it, that on a saurday nite you would be hard pressed to find one lithuanian, latvian or polish person
    Its because they have seen what our clubs have to offer and that is fu*k all
    Why will Angel lane be any different

The manager says there'l lbe 5 bars, i dont care how many bars there are, just ensure you have enough bar staff to keep the paying customers happy because they seem to forget, without us, they are nothing

Your assumption that they don't go out because the clubs are sh*t is pure speculation. The reason could just as easily be that they find it too expensive to go out.

ooooh racist

ooooh racist

Dunno who that is directed at, but there were no racist comments or innuendo in my posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

John_Mc wrote: »
    Trinity Rooms has had more up and coming acts than I can actually remember, but there's rarely an interest in them from the crowd. Two examples of this would be BoyzNoise & Phil Keiran, where the turnout was shi*.

The Pod & Trinity share most acts that are brought over, so you're completely wrong when you suggest that Pod is better than Trinity Rooms when it comes to acts.

u must be joking!! im a monthly regular at the pod and i can tell you now that trinity has no way near the same line ups!! check the pod website for proof.. that is a ridiculous comment.. actually i have saved you the bother here are some acts the pod has lined up for the coming weeks and your saying trinity will have the same!!

SASHA
    SPIRITUALIZED
    DE LA SOUL
    BOOKA SHADE
    MADNESS
    HORACE ANDY & JOHNNY CLARKE
    DAVE CLARKE
    LUPE FIASCO
    TOOTS & THE MAYTALS
    PAUL V DYK

so if i am wrong i cant wait to see all the above acts in trinity.. or maybe your wrong!
    boyznoise and phil k are nobodys thats why it was empty.. oh and it was probably a sunday night!! cuz they are cheaper!!

u must be joking!! im a monthly regular at the pod and i can tell you now that trinity has no way near the same line ups!! check the pod website for proof.. that is a ridiculous comment.. actually i have saved you the bother here are some acts the pod has lined up for the coming weeks and your saying trinity will have the same!!

SASHA
    SPIRITUALIZED
    DE LA SOUL
    BOOKA SHADE
    MADNESS
    HORACE ANDY & JOHNNY CLARKE
    DAVE CLARKE
    LUPE FIASCO
    TOOTS & THE MAYTALS
    PAUL V DYK

so if i am wrong i cant wait to see all the above acts in trinity.. or maybe your wrong!
    boyznoise and phil k are nobodys thats why it was empty.. oh and it was probably a sunday night!! cuz they are cheaper!!

You're mistaking the Pod or Tripod you fool.

Boysnoize & Phil Keiran are well know names, and the fact that you don't know of them proves your ignorance in the Dance scene.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

ooooh racist

That's not racism and you know it. Stop stirring **** Georgie, you're annoying a lot of people around here.

Back on topic, there's no single club capable of catering to everybody's musical tastes. I listen to a lot of rock music, and there's nowhere in the city for me to hear that stuff on a night out. I go to Trooms and Molly's because my friends feel comfortable there, so we enjoy the atmosphere together.

Dunno who that is directed at, but there were no racist comments or innuendo in my posts
    relax i'm joking but judging by your vehement defending of Trinity, i would hazrd a guess at you're either an employee or someone who has a vested interest

The cold hard facts are thus : Limerick is probably one of the worst counties in Ireland for a night out
    If you factor in the propensity of getting your head busted cos you looked at a sham different, or the fact that the pubs are filthy or that there isnt one good 'trendy' pub that does a good pint or that our clubs stink of stale beer, vomit and sh*te.
    The last month, i have been to Dublin, Cork and Galway,, this weekend i'm off to Kilkee, and even though i hate Kilkee it prefers a much better option at the moment to Limerick

Will Angel Lane be the winged cherub who saves us from our bland nights out.
    I wouldnt hold my breath

So would you rather they just pissed off to Cork or Galway? Like any other enterprise on the planet.....the sole objective is to make money! How do they initially make back some of the money invested? Hype it up for a few weeks and get big crowds. How do they keep making money in the long term? Keep their customers happy to a sufficient level so that they will keep coming back.

Sorry but I have to laugh at this comment! Thats like sayin that Microsoft dont give a **** if we dont have operating systems to work on.

Or Apple dont give a **** if we dont have gadgets to listen to music on. Or Golden Vale didnt give a **** if we had milk to drink. I think you get my point.

All this works hand in hand.....they want to make lots of money, we want to go somewhere that'll entertain us. Neither is going to happen if they didn't "give a f**K".

sorry i forgot that the powers that be in angels pain really really care where u and i go on a saturday night.. get a grip man how can u even compare this to any of the above situations.. u said we should be grateful.. grateful for what.. heresay as u said.. we dont know what this club will be like and u tell us to be grateful!! u should be grateful i dont wanna get banned from this site cuz i have some much stronger words id like to get across after that comment.. if you wanna be grateful be my guest but dont slate us for being sceptical about heresay.. obviously clubs like those in town dont care otherwise people on this board would not be complaining about their door policies!!

An Fhile wrote: »
    That's not racism and you know it. Stop stirring **** Georgie, you're annoying a lot of people around here.

Back on topic, there's no single club capable of catering to everybody's musical tastes. I listen to a lot of rock music, and there's nowhere in the city for me to hear that stuff on a night out. I go to Trooms and Molly's because my friends feel comfortable there, so we enjoy the atmosphere together.
    go up to costelloes so you hippy

You're mistaking the Pod or Tripod you fool.

Boysnoize & Phil Keiran are well know names, and the fact that you don't know of them proves your ignorance in the Dance scene.

MY GOD!! who is this fool.. the pod is the place of dance(a.k.a. POD,TRIPOD, REDBOX, CRAWDADDY, HAM) on harcourt street dublin.. TRIPOD is the name they have givin to the nights when they have all 3 levels open.. so please dont talk about something u have no clue about and dont call me a fool.

i didnt say they were not well known i said they were crap.. obviously they are well known enough that people knew they were crap and didnt show..

as for my ignorance towards the dance scene i have been a dj for 13 yrs.. have played in most of the clubs mentioned.. i have dj'ed on four national radio stations and held my own show on limerick pirate radio.. so put that in your pipe and smoke it FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Personally there is no point knocking a club that has not opened yet. Six to twelve months time will be the time to judge it, after it has been open for a while, not before the first punter has even gotten there.

I agree with whoever said that the owners are out to make money, but then again what business isn't out to make a profit? And the owners will care to a degree what the public think because happy punters become regulares which equals money in the till.

Maybe it is going to be a good club, maybe it will become a run of the mill club like the majority of clubs in Limerick, let's at least let it open first before praising/condemning it.

Another plus is that it is giving employment to some people so that is no bad thing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Chill out lads... keep it civilised.

The Eastern Europeans tend to go out early so as to get into the clubs for free. In trinity rooms, the majority of them will be in the Courtyard for 10.30 so that they avoid paying the €12 in. Your assumption that they don't go out because the clubs are sh*t is pure speculation. The reason could just as easily be that they find it too expensive to go out.

i have a latvian g/f and i know lots of east european people through her.. the reason they dont go to our clubs are cuz they are ****, expensive and close early.. what planet is this john mc guy from!!

• Advertisement

MY GOD!! who is this fool.. the pod is the place of dance(a.k.a. POD,TRIPOD, REDBOX, CRAWDADDY, HAM) on harcourt street dublin.. TRIPOD is the name they have givin to the nights when they have all 3 levels open.. so please dont talk about something u have no clue about and dont call me a fool.

I live in Dublin now so I know exactly where the Pod complex is, but thanks fool.

The Redbox is gone and has been replaced by Tripod. It is a separate venue to Crawdaddy, Lobby bar etc.
    i didnt say they were not well known i said they were crap.. obviously they are well known enough that people knew they were crap and didnt show.

That's a great bit of deductive reasoning you've done there. Fair play.
    as for my ignorance towards the dance scene i have been a dj for 13 yrs.. have played in most of the clubs mentioned.. i have dj'ed on four national radio stations and held my own show on limerick pirate radio.. so put that in your pipe and smoke it FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

Wowee, a DJ you say! Can I have your autograph?

You having played on 4 national radio stations means nothing nothing to me. If anything, it makes you less credible given the standard of Dance music played on the radio in Ireland. And as for Pirate radio... ha - there's never been a good pirate station in Limerick so that means your show couldn't have been up to much.

boo hiss

I live in Dublin now so I know exactly where the Pod complex is, but thanks fool.

The Redbox is gone and has been replaced by Tripod. It is a separate venue to Crawdaddy, Lobby bar etc.

these are all the names of club nights not the venue itself.. redbox (R.I.P)/tripod is the name they give when all rooms are open.. it is the same building so how is it a seperate venue thats like saying trinity and their courtyard are different venues... or each floor its a different venue..FOOL

That's a great bit of deductive reasoning you've done there. Fair play.

no its just the truth..

Wowee, a DJ you say! Can I have your autograph?

You having played on 4 national radio stations means nothing nothing to me. If anything, it makes you less credible given the standard of Dance music played on the radio in Ireland. And as for Pirate radio... ha - there's never been a good pirate station in Limerick so that means your show couldn't have been up to much.

no but u can have a knuckle sandwich if you keep up that cheek!! just goes to show how much you know.. IM NOT TALKING ABOUT MAINSTREAM RADIO SHOWS/STATIONS.. there has been many excellent pirate radio shows in limerick.. most of the dj's playing in limerick at the moment played on the same station i did.. and i enjoyed all their shows.. looks like all you want to do is slag people off fool.. u dont even live in limerick anymore so why dont u F**k OFF to the dublin forum and talk sh*t!!

sorry mr. E but this guy obviously does not have a clue what he is on about!! ill tone it down..

these are all the names of club nights not the venue itself.. redbox (R.I.P)/tripod is the name they give when all rooms are open.. it is the same building so how is it a seperate venue thats like saying trinity and their courtyard are different venues... or each floor its a different venue..FOOL

No, You are completely wrong. If you go to the POD on a saturday night, you pay €12 and get access to the Lobby, Crawdaddy & the room to the right where Bodytonic play. If you want access to the Tripod, then you need to pay another cover charge to get in.

no its just the truth..

A solid come back there. And that's why Phil Kieran had an essential mix played the week after he played Trinity rooms. But that's nothing compared to your pirate radio station days...

just goes to show how much you know.. IM NOT TALKING ABOUT MAINSTREAM RADIO SHOWS.. there has been many excellent pirate radio shows in limerick.. most of the dj's playing in limerick at the moment played on the same station i did.. and i enjoyed all their shows.. looks like all you want to do is slag people off fool.. u dont even live in limerick anymore so why dont u F**k OFF to the dublin forum and talk sh*t!!
    [/QUOTE]

Any radio station that's national, as you put it, is mainstream and to state otherwise is bullshi* plain and simple.

I know most of the DJ's playing in Limerick at the moment, and none of them have played on Pirate radio stations that I know of.

I spent 24 years in Limerick so my opinion is as equally valid as anyone elses from Limerick. That's why I won't f*ck off anywhere else you pathetic retard.

BTW, nice username there - you're well proud of Limerick I see

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Lads for christ sake cop on this thread is completely ruined now.

Cruijff wrote: »
    Lads for christ sake cop on this thread is completely ruined now.

In fairness, the conversation about the New Market was dead by page 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

This is why it should now be closed as its becoming a slagging match.

have a fight outside the cuckoo box this thursday at 9
    it will provide some entertainment on what i predict to be a rather dull night

• Advertisement

Cruijff wrote: »
    This is why it should now be closed as its becoming a slagging match.

This is a healthy debate about the dance music scene in Limerick. I don't see why it should be closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement