Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's all this 'pull' about

• 17-05-2008 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I’m seriously considering join the Gardai, it looks like a great career, but I’ve got a concern.
    None of my family are Gardai, and reading between the lines I keep on hearing about this ‘pull’ thing..and that it pretty much decides on promotion. etc..
    How hard is it to get ahead without brother/dad/uncle/grandfather in the force?
    Interested to if connections really work in transparent Ireland of 2008!
    Or it no different to any other organisation in the country.
    Read about this 'pull' in that female Garda's book..bit of an eye opener
    Want to join and have a reasonable standard of qualfications and I'm thinking if I was to join and try to get promoted in a few years time how hard/easy would it be?
    Is it true that the civil servants will be the ones promoting/running the promotion show in a few years..heard this through someone..can't see the Gardai allowing outsiders to run them!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

canvassing will disqualify:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

nepotism is rife....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

.... transparent Ireland of 2008!

Transparancy + An Garda Siochana + Promotion = :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

Yeah its supposed to be one of the reccommendations of the Morris Tribunal (3 reports still to come out!) that the whole Garda promotion system is to be reviewed and changed.

They realise its not fair that someone can work thier ass off and get no where if they don't have pull. Where as someone else can screw up and get promoted out of thier mess. More civillians will definitely be managing AGS in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Read about this 'pull' in that female Garda's book..bit of an eye opener

I read the book but did you notice that alot of things happened to her? tbh I don;t believe half the stuff she wrote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

There's 14000 Gardai in the force, they can't all be related to members or former members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

TheNog wrote: »
    I read the book but did you notice that alot of things happened to her? tbh I don;t believe half the stuff she wrote.
    What book ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

random wrote: »
    What book ?

Mary T O'Connor's "On the Beat"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Ya i agree...........
    OP i think she was refering to a different type of "pull" in that book!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Mary T O'Connor's "On the Beat"

Complete rubbish and fiction in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Complete rubbish and fiction in my opinion.

I read this book, having been given it by someone who wouldn't be the biggest supporter of AGS and i have to say 99.99999% of it was rubbish, the hubby read it afterwards cos he thought it would be a humourous book cos i'd laughed at so much of it.. it ended up in the fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭fermoyboy

Regardless of whether or not what she said in the book is true or not........having some 'pull' does go a long way in the job. Be it for transfers, promotions etc. if you've got decent pull you've got a better chance of getting ahead than the person with none!

Advertisement