Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

in de market fer a bike

Options
  • 17-05-2008 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hiyez

I'm looking for a new bike, a hybrid, budget 1k. I wanted to find a decent on-line shop, I was looking in this forum but there's no list. Even the thread "Why buy a bike on-line?" really doesn't mention too many.

Any recommendations? I have a Trek right now, but it's sort of low spec. It was a 500euro bike, I'd want to also get hold of the spec before I buy.

Any advice? Many thanks in adv.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Cannodale bad boy probably would be the best buy for that money imo

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86896

Or Kona PHD...is sweet aswell

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86442

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

stabu wrote: »
    Hiyez

I'm looking for a new bike, a hybrid, budget 1k. I wanted to find a decent on-line shop, I was looking in this forum but there's no list.

oh yes there is :p. Sticky: Recommended Links.

you'll get a lot of bike for a grand. come back to us when you've picked out a short list if you want frank opinions. :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

First thing you need to decide is whether you want a MTB-leaning one (like the Bad Boy) or a road-leaning one (like the Kona PhD, Specialized Sirrus, Giant FCR etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Whats the difference blorg? Advantages and disadvantages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Forky wrote: »
    Whats the difference blorg? Advantages and disadvantages?

weight , wheel size.

The road flat bars tend to be lighter and faster but the mtb style ones can take bad road surfaces a bit better. I have a road styled hybrid and really love it, can take it on long spins when I want too but you do have to be careful of even small pot holes / uneven surface.

• Advertisement

Riding position also. Sit in more of a racing position on the Kona.

Im in the market for a bike for around €500ish and I think a hybrid is the way to go. Ill be mostly be using it for a short commute to work but would also like to do a number of long cycles during the year.
    Speed wouldnt really be a huge issue and roads around here can be fairly bad so perhaps a mtb leaning style one would suit me. Anyone any good suggestions?

Probably a Specialized sirrus for that money

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86039

Theres been a good few threads on this subject have a scan round the forum and you should get some good opinons

Probably a Specialized sirrus for that money

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86039

Theres been a good few threads on this subject have a scan round the forum and you should get some good opinons

Cheers bob. Yeah have been looking around the forum for quite a while now, and had my eye on the Giant FCR3 and the Lapierre RCR100. I'm a total newbie really, so maybe these are a bit much. I'm guessing they are both road leaning style? (they look great though! Especially the Giant!!)
    Choices choices choices.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

yeah they're both road styled. my girlf has the RCR100, i have an FCR2 - if you can stretch to the carbon forks on the fcr2, do, it's got a bit of a dampening effect so reduces vibrations being transmitted up to your hands from the road - its a lot more comfortable - I was initially looking at the '3' but got the '2', and glad I did.
    The rcr100 is a bit heavier than the giant, but its a grand bike too, she' had no probs with it in the 3 months she's had it...

• Advertisement

Cheers bob. Yeah have been looking around the forum for quite a while now, and had my eye on the Giant FCR3 and the Lapierre RCR100. I'm a total newbie really, so maybe these are a bit much. I'm guessing they are both road leaning style? (they look great though! Especially the Giant!!)
    Choices choices choices.....

No worries man. Giant are great bikes. Lapierre I don't know much about at all, the roadie guys on here would be probably be able to advise you better.

Thanks lads. This must be one of the most helpful forums on the site!
    Would I be losing much comfort on a road leaning bike? Ive never sat on a road bike before!

Thanks lads. This must be one of the most helpful forums on the site!
    Would I be losing much comfort on a road leaning bike? Ive never sat on a road bike before!

Nah you'd be grand with that man, for a short commute you'll be fine with a roadie style, then it'll come into its own for the longer trips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

kenmc wrote: »
    i have an FCR2 - if you can stretch to the carbon forks on the fcr2, do, it's got a bit of a dampening effect so reduces vibrations being transmitted up to your hands from the road - its a lot more comfortable - I was initially looking at the '3' but got the '2', and glad I did..
    There's a new FCR 2.5 (inbetween the 2 and 3). It has a carbon fork too but a good bit cheaper than the 2. Although the 2.5 still uses a sora rear mech compared to the Tiagra mech on the 2. Having said that I haven't had any problems with the sora on my FCR3 and have been using it 6 out of 7 days a week for about a year now. Maybe someone else can compare the 2.5 and the 2 and let Forky know if it's worth the extra money. In any case whether its the FCR3 / 2.5 / 2 it's a great comfortable fast bike for the price.

edit: comfort wise on the road bike, a good saddle goes a long way. I don't rate the giant saddle at all that comes with the fcr. Once I switched saddles though it was fine. Some of the worse for wear cycle tracks can be a bit bumpy. I tend to stick to the roads instead of using some of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

oh great lads, thanks alot for the replies, more than enough to get me started.

I see the Cannondale and Kona are a bit above the 1k .. ah no doubt spec creep will occur as usual .. caveat creditcardor! :-)

Great stuff, thanks lads. As I said before, one of the most helpful forums i've come across.

Oh and apologies for hijacking your thread stabu! Best of luck with your bike.

If the carbon forks are really worth it, ill splash the extra €65 for the 2.5. Couldnt really justify getting the 3.0 though. People will think im mad as it is spending €600!
    Sizing is the next all important thing. Are the size guides on the internet reliable enough? I see people saying you should sit on the bike and see if its comfortable but to be fair I havent sat on a bike in a long time (sober anyway (thats a story for another day)) so I wouldnt have a clue. Would it be safe to buy one online from the sizing charts?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

stabu, I have an FCR1 myself which is round about the style and price you are looking at. Great bike, have had very little cause for complaint on it, all going well I'll be doing the Wicklow 200 aboard it, albeit I have changed the stock Xero wheelset for the slightly lighter Shimano RS-20s. 23c tyres will give a racier feel to any bike also. In saying all that, the Kona PhD is a beautiful looking bike.
    If the carbon forks are really worth it, ill splash the extra €65 for the 2.5. Couldnt really justify getting the 3.0 though. People will think im mad as it is spending €600!

Forky, I might be misreading your post but just to clarify, the FCR range goes from the low end FCR4 up to higher end FCR1 (plus the FCR Alliance but that's way more expensive again). I would indeed recommend a carbon fork, smooths out alot of the road buzz.

Advertisement