Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What next after Masters?

• 17-05-2008 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I've just finished up a Masters and I'm considering doing further study.
    I’ve been told that in this country it’s possible to do so, and get paid to do so for a couple of years. Is this correct?
    Where can I find out more about this?
    Forgive my ignorance but after a Masters, what can I do..
    Next level is Doctrite - Phd?
    Is there any site that gives lists of the next progression?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

I've just finished up a Masters and I'm considering doing further study.
    I’ve been told that in this country it’s possible to do so, and get paid to do so for a couple of years. Is this correct?
    Where can I find out more about this?
    Forgive my ignorance but after a Masters, what can I do..
    Next level is Doctrite - Phd?
    Is there any site that gives lists of the next progression?
    After a masters there is only a doctorate. But, it depends on what area you are in. Some information on your undergrad/masters would help posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Hey Travellerinterp. The next level up is doctorate i.e PhD, MD etc. depending on your area of expertise. I believe you do get paid for studying a PhD but certainly not enough to warrant doing the course for the sake of it. This site gives basic, readable info on it. Best of luck.
    http://www.nightcourses.com/certification/nfq.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

Hey Travellerinterp. The next level up is doctorate i.e PhD, MD etc. depending on your area of expertise. I believe you do get paid for studying a PhD but certainly not enough to warrant doing the course for the sake of it. This site gives basic, readable info on it. Best of luck.
    http://www.nightcourses.com/certification/nfq.html

Nope. You may or may not get a scholarship which may or may not pay fees and/or some stipend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

You're right on that. I must have been thinking of scholarships/fellowships or something along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I'd seriously consider working in the real world for awhile.

Going straight from school, to college, to a masters, to a PHD and living purely in academia is not a good thing IMO. It gives you a distorted view of the world, and the competitive commercial edge you see by working outside of academia, if even for a few years, will really stand to you if you decide to do a PHD.

Too many people just float into a PHD without real though, but I really feel you should only do a PHD if you're really interested in spending 4 years working on a particular subject. They're not well paid, and unless you're interested in pursuing lecturing or you're in certain fields of the sciences, they don't particularly reward you financially.

• Advertisement
Advertisement