Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site Critique

Options
  • 17-05-2008 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

Two minds whether or not to post this but here goes. :o

Anyway I would appreciate if anyone could have a look at this before it goes live for me please? Its my first site and as its Joomla! I'm more looking for comments on the look and feel, layout and any other suggestions anyone would have for me bearing in mind I am by no means a web designer. Still work in progress but I think its just about finished bar all important content from the users and I'm also going to change the activities page to one banner at the top when I can find an adequate picture to use.

http://daara.ronandoyle.net

Thanks

ding

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I think it looks fine, nice easy layout and easy to navigate between sections.

Easy on the eye and looks very professionally done

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i think u should definitely consider moving everything a few pixels up and look at a slightly smaller header [height wise], black and white plane image doesn't suit and definitely a better font for the heading.

shud be good after that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Thanks for that guys!
    i think u should definitely consider moving everything a few pixels up and look at a slightly smaller header [height wise]

Your right about that, good suggestion! Changed the template.css to 50px and the top.jpg to 50px but the navigation buttons didnt move up as I expected. :confused:

#top {
    width: 926px;
    height: 50px;
    margin: 0 auto;
    padding: 0;
    background: url(../images/top.jpg) top center no-repeat;
    }

http://daara.ronandoyle.net/images/phocagallery/oops.jpg

That's ok I've figured the nav buttons out. Looks better now.

I'll have a mess around with the logo too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I think it looks great, I really like it. For your target audience its easy enough to navigate. Your headers need to stand out a bit though. Try replacing your "componentheading" divs with H1 tags to make them a bit more obvious, it should help with your SEO too. Other than that thumbs up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

One more thing... The 'user poll' could be laid out better. Otherwise fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Try replacing your "componentheading" divs with H1 tags to make them a bit more obvious, it should help with your SEO too.

I had a go at that and it should be better now. Still lot to do with SEO as I was waiting until the domain name is activated.

One more thing... The 'user poll' could be laid out better. Otherwise fine.

In what way do you mean? I just enabled the default one. I'm sure there's better modules out there for polls though. I'll take a look see. Thanks again for looking at it all! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Pretty darn good!

I'd change the blue of the top 5 navigation items to match the "Main Menu", "Latest Articles", etc more closely.

And I'd also colourise the B&W image to a similar shade of blue (PhotoShop's "Gradient Map" should do this relatively easily for ya).

But overall, pretty sweet! Well done!

Advertisement