Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you think Lost has gone too far down one path to come back?

• 17-05-2008 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭

I was thinking recently about the whole jump-the-shark conversations that have been going on, and how some people seem to be disappointed with what seems to be an abandonment of 'science fact', and a definite turn to science fiction and fantasy.

While I would prefer a more factually-based storyline, I'm not particularly disappointed with the direction in which the show is going.
    But I am disappointed about this: one of my favourite aspects of the show has always been the ambiguity of it. The questions of coincidence vs. fate, science vs. faith, and whether or not answers can be given for questions based on science fact or science fiction have been some of the most gripping features of the show. In fact, I think I prefer not being given the answers to a lot of the mysteries on Lost, because it makes for more interesting discussion, and demands the viewer to engage with the show, rather than just watch what happens. Take Hurley and the Numbers as an example. The writers offer two roads: Either the numbers have placed a curse on Hurley, or it's all just coincidence. The writers do not give an answer, and the viewers are allowed to decide for themselves, having decided what their core beliefs are in the question of science/coincidence vs. faith/destiny.
    In more recent episodes, I find myself thinking "well, what are my beliefs on this situation" a lot less, and "well, that was fairly wierd" a bit more

So, what I mean by my question in the title is: do you think that Lost has firmly set itself on a course for science fiction and fantasy, or do you think that the ambiguity of previous seasons will/can make a return?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

it's fairly obvious that lost is becoming more and more sci fi each year however there was always an element of science fiction in the show and yes i do believe its possibly that the ambiguity of lost can be brought back and that there is still an element of it. i think there has been a few imes where we have seen coincidence vs fate. (
    Abbadon and Locke in the hospital
    ) not sure bout the rest tough.. need more time to think about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think they have crossed too far into science fiction territory to be able to move back into science fact.

I quite like the idea that not all questions will be answered. I remember saying one of the discussion threads that in order to answer every single question (of which there are 100s at this stage) satisfactorily then the writers would surely have to slow the program to an absolute crawl in the last series.

I'd also agree with you on this I find myself thinking "well, what are my beliefs on this situation" a lot less, and "well, that was fairly wierd" a bit more
    . I found the program a lot more interesting when I could attempt to put rational explanations on 95% of what was going on. I feel far less involved in it now as all I do is sit there watching a (admittedly brilliantly written) pile of lunacy.

AJ (Man of Science).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I found the program a lot more interesting when I could attempt to put rational explanations on 95% of what was going on. I feel far less involved in it now as all I do is sit there watching a (admittedly brilliantly written) pile of lunacy.

AJ (Man of Science).

I'd agree with this too, probably because I'm a man of science myself.
    Although, I don't think I ever really automatically put rational explanations on what was going on (probably did subconsciously), and it was the fact that the show really made me have to think about what was going on, and what I really did believe, which is something that set Lost apart from any other show that I'm familiar with.
    I think I feel far less involved in it now as all I do is sit there watching a (admittedly brilliantly written) pile of lunacy. puts it in a nutshell for me as well. It's still a fantastic show, but instead of being motivated to think about it, and try to guess what's going to happen next, I feel more content to just wait and see what happens, mostly because I wouldn't know where to begin guessing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Lost has come out of the closet as a sci-fi show, although it's more accurate to say it's an adventure story with sci-fi elements. I think it's better that way as you can only drag ambiguity out for so long before viewers start getting bored.

I think we will have answers for all the important things when it ends and we've seen lately that the writers haven't forgotten the questions they've posed in earlier seasons, e.g. the numbers, Aaron being raised by Claire alone, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

SumGuy wrote:
    So, what I mean by my question in the title is: do you think that Lost has firmly set itself on a course for science fiction and fantasy, or do you think that the ambiguity of previous seasons will/can make a return?
    Of course not. The genie is out of the bottle, there's no getting it back in.

The writers have said they intend to explain everything but without getting into midichlorian territory. This means the numbers are hopefully not going to be explained away like the Force was in the Star Wars prequels.

The loss of ambiguity? Inevitable. I mean everyone wanted answers, right? Well they can't have it both ways. The writers are damned if they do, damned if the don't. Looking at recent interviews they seem fairly resigned to this fact.

Twin Peaks had the same problem and it only lasted 2 seasons. Some people thought they were watching a regular murder mystery and when Laura Palmer's killer was revealed many were disappointed (never mind what happened afterwards).

Personally I'd have considered a explanation based entirely on science-fact to be a cop-out. I remember in early first season being quite worried that the huge success of the show would force the writers to pander to mainstream anti-sci-fi sensibilities. So I've been quite pleased with the direction the show has taken.

Although I've had my moments where I really thought the show had crossed the line. The biggest for me was the end of season 2 with the purple sky. All my precious theories were blown to hell and I didn't know what the f**k to think and that really annoyed me. But that's Lost. Looking back the purple sky has become one of favourite moments on the show.

The only way to watch Lost is to let go and enjoy the ride.

SP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭loon

they've already explained the numbers... they are just numbers... they mean nothing, the same way that all the back stories are just coincidences (it's in a podcast)

nothing that happened before the whole ben vs charles storyline matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Lost is sci-fi. Live with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Are we heading for an ending like the Soprano's ??

It would'ent surprise me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

would that be a bad thing?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

BingoBongo wrote: »
    Are we heading for an ending like the Soprano's ??

It would'ent surprise me!
    No, the writers have said absolutely not. Are you kidding? There'd be riots!

OT, but the reason The Sopranos ended the way it did was because Chase wanted to say f**k you to all the hypocrites in the audience. The implication is still pretty clear imo. Although I still think he messed up the editing. When most of the audience confuses the ending with their cable going out there's something seriously wrong.

SP

• Advertisement
Advertisement