Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Log

Options
  • 17-05-2008 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭

Right, here it goes. I've been meaning to do this for so long, but I'm finally doing it. I'm 17 and took up running in September 2006, and I'm still tipping away. I train 4 or 5 times a week.

Obviously the club track season is coming up, and I'll be running the 800m and 1500m. Schools are just over for me after today, after the Munsters. Placing wasnt great but my time was grand, 2:16, same as in the North Munsters. Unfortuantely I ran a bad time in the 1500m in the North Munsters, 4:47 methinks but I didn't feel well going around, and I didn't qualify. That was pretty dissappointing, but the 800 made me happy, especially as I was running about 2:30 last year.

Anyway, my aims are to get my PB down, in the 800 especially, hopefully by 4 or five seconds in the 800 and down to about 4:35 in the 1500m in the Munster Clubs, and a big bonus would be to qualify for the All-Irelands.

Anyhoo, this is it for today. Next training session is Monday so a bit of relaxing till then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

good stuff jay p it will be interesting for me (someone whos only running later in life) to see how a young competeing athlete trains and prepares, best of luck in the munsters and hopefully all irelands ,
    im a waterford man, where in munster are you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭token56

Best of luck, I know from experience that in track especially the 800m and 1500m can be very though and competitive so best of luck with the training and the races.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

SUNGOD wrote: »
    good stuff jay p it will be interesting for me (someone whos only running later in life) to see how a young competeing athlete trains and prepares, best of luck in the munsters and hopefully all irelands ,
    im a waterford man, where in munster are you ?

Ennis, running with Ennis Track. Are you with a club?
    token56 wrote: »
    Best of luck, I know from experience that in track especially the 800m and 1500m can be very though and competitive so best of luck with the training and the races.

Thanks. Believe me I know it's competitive, I ran the All-Irelands and Munsters last year and was blown away in both.

Anyway, 1st update. I was training on Monday, but I've had a sore knee since training last Wednesday, which luckily didn't affect my race but it killed me in training on monday.

What I was supposed to be doing was 2400m x 2 and 300m x 3. I'd usually hit 9:00 easily for the 2400 but I could only the first one in 9:22 because of my knee, and then halfway into the first lap of my second rep I had to stop so I jogged another 800 and then was forced to stop running altogether. I found out today I have an inflamed tendon which is recurrs now and again. So, no major training til after my summer tests next week.

I will point out that the 2400s are run on an 800m loop which is a bit like a trail with no major hills or any rocky terrain.

Oh my gawd. I'm such a lazy fecker. I trained I'd say at most, ten times since I started this. I'm such a mess! :p The main reason I haven't trained is last summer, my knee was injured which kept me out for a few weeks, then I just started enjoying the freedom of the summer too much! Then when I got back to training in September, I realised I didn't have enough time because of homework and study because of the leaving cert. Now that the Leaving cert is pretty much over, I want to start training again. So I started on Friday. Our house is about seven miles outside of the town, and I decided to run in. It was tough, and I ran as much as possible, but like I said, it was very hard and I'm now very unfit. As a result, my running was broken up by quite a but of walking. In total I'd estimate I ran around 4 miles, I'm not too sure about the timing. Like a silly beginner, I didn't stretch at all, so only today I've lost the complete stiffness of my legs.

So there it is, the beginning of what will be hopefully a running-filled summer! :) I'll hopefully go running tomorrow and the weekend as well at some stage. I'm keen on doing the Clare People 10k in a few weeks too and will hopefully get in under an hour. That's the idea anyway! So yeah, I'll leave it here.

Yay! I trained again! :P I did the same run again, from my house into town, and did it ten minutes fater! I felt much better doing it, I didn't walk nearly as much. Though I think the first time I did it, I hadn't eaten enough and I was a tad dehydrated. To sstop this happening, I bought a packet of wine gums at the shop about five minutes after I started. I did it in about 60 minutes, whereas I was abot 70 minutes last week, and I stopped early and did an extra mile yesterday! :) I'm happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

and did it ten minutes fater

Fatter you say :P good job anyway :)

Fatter you say :P

Fine, you caught me! I put on ten minutes in weight! Ahem.... :)

Thanks fot the support!

Advertisement