Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no fifa forum?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,213 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I was so disappointed with PES08 when it came out that I bought Fifa08, having not bought a FIFA game since International Superstar Soccer was released on the SNES (got a SNES for christmas that year JUST for ISS!)

I have since gone back to Pro and don't really bother with Fifa. Fifa does look nicer and has a better polish to it - presentation is streets ahead of Pro, but I just don't like it even nearly as much as Pro, and Pro does annoy me a fair amount!

It is probably cause I suck at FIFA; can't get the hang of dribbling past people and I find the shooting irritating, but I still prefer Pro, and I have given fifa a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Nailz wrote: »
    Hola eZe^!

Yes, but honestly can you say it's a better game than PES? Like, let-downs and improvements aside, as if you were give two brand new games with no history to test out, would you say Fifa is better? IMO, no. I don't know how many times I've quoted this but I'm going say it anyway. "Fifa improved this year, Pro Evo was a let-down this year, it doesn't mean it's a better game."

You're dead right. I'm not denying that, I'm just saying that even the news about PES 2009 sounds like we are slumped with a more polised version of 2008. At least Fifa are making an attempt to change their bad reputation, whereas Konami are riding on their past glories a little bit. I would really love if they completely overhauled pro evo and made it truely next gen. Lets hope 2009 isn't a letdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I played PES 2008 on the 360 for the first time yesterday and thought it was half the game the ps2 version was. I can only assume it is the same with the ps3 version.

eZe^ wrote: »
    You're dead right. I'm not denying that, I'm just saying that even the news about PES 2009 sounds like we are slumped with a more polised version of 2008. At least Fifa are making an attempt to change their bad reputation, whereas Konami are riding on their past glories a little bit. I would really love if they completely overhauled pro evo and made it truely next gen. Lets hope 2009 isn't a letdown.
    I don't know where you are getting your info from but is quite different to what I am hearing.

Yes, the game engine itself is just a more polished version of 08 (and 6 for that matter...) and ML is the same (ggggggrrrrr) along with some other annoying things.

However, from what I am hearing, the gameplay is COMPLETELY different to PES08, and it is, apparently, brilliant. NDAs mean this info hasn't officially been made public, but the leaks that have come through and been commented on have all been positive in regards to the game play - it is back to being Pro Evo going by what I have read and heard so far.

If that is true, then I will be delighted. Fifa looks stunning, no doubting that - PES's cartoonish colour palette and presentation are an irritation, but it will always been the gameplay that I am most interested - Option Files will take care of team and player names, so i don't really care about that stuff (Editing is back to PS2 levels with new stuff, apparently)

PES09 isn't looking good imo, at least in comparison to Fifa 09 (even 08 really) but i'm hearing that it plays brilliantly with the CPU AI tweaked both defensively and offensively for far more realistic and less annoying team-play.

Anyway, we should find out a lot more tomorrow with exclusive mag preview hitting the stands.

Also, I heard that there are now two Pro Evo teams. One continued on from 08 to make 09 - hence the same engine, and the second team immediately started on PES10 which is where we will (finally) see a new engine etc. I don't know how true it is though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

"looks good" thats crap, PES 2008 looked good, you can NEVER judge a game untill you play it.

What pissed me off the most about online play last year, it wasnt the lag. It was forcing you to play on ****ing Amateur difficulty. That means there is NO a.i. skills so your defence just walks off.

Grr i hate getting into these things. If one person prefers FIFA, why does that matter?

Nailz, if someone said they love Pot Noodle, but your a Koka Noodle lover, you wouldnt go out of your way to convince them your right would you? (Actually you prob would:P)

What im getting at is, people like different things. I hated FIFA 07 and adored PES6, I loved FIFA 08 and hated PES 2008. But why does that matter to anyone else?

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    "looks good" thats crap, PES 2008 looked good, you can NEVER judge a game untill you play it.
    What the hell are you giving out about? When did I say it was all about looking good? Did you actually read my post? You know, the post about gameplay being more important?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

To answer your question Mikey, yes. :)

Tauren, that mag, is it PSM?

To answer your question Mikey, yes. :)

Tauren, that mag, is it PSM?

OPM, and it didn't have anything about Pro in it (despite last months mag saying they would) which doesn't bode well in my opinion. They didn't even mention WHY they don't have anything about it, so it is a mystery at the moment. I don't think there has been any clarification on it.

Looks like we'll have to wait for Leipzig in 2 weeks for any more real info.

I am hearing good things about the game from those that have tested it (not telling me directly, just what I have seen on various PES forums) but the fact Konami are so quiet about it, and this OPM issue, it has me worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭kensutz

I don't know how many times I've quoted this but I'm going say it anyway. "Fifa improved this year, Pro Evo was a let-down this year, it doesn't mean it's a better game."

Fifa is a better game this year.

I disagree - neither are great but Pro is still better imo.

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote: »
    What the hell are you giving out about? When did I say it was all about looking good? Did you actually read my post? You know, the post about gameplay being more important?

Ok, so i said "ARGH! You think its all about looking good!" Did i? No.

What i said reffered to:
    "However, from what I am hearing, the gameplay is COMPLETELY different to PES08, and it is, apparently, brilliant."

Last year i was told all the same things about PES2008, i was lied to. Basically, your hearing from die-hard fans that a game they adore is good. If you asked my granny if i was good at football would you think i play like Ronaldo?

What im saying is, play them both, then make your judgement. And even then, it doesnt really matter, its your own opinion.

Ok, so i said "ARGH! You think its all about looking good!" Did i? No.

What i said reffered to:
    "However, from what I am hearing, the gameplay is COMPLETELY different to PES08, and it is, apparently, brilliant."

Last year i was told all the same things about PES2008, i was lied to. Basically, your hearing from die-hard fans that a game they adore is good. If you asked my granny if i was good at football would you think i play like Ronaldo?

What im saying is, play them both, then make your judgement. And even then, it doesnt really matter, its your own opinion.
    1st off, what does looking good, thats crap have to do with either gameplay or peoples opinions of it. by talking about looking good and making that distinct from gameplay opinion, I am refering to the actual look of the game - graphics, animations and colour palette.

Secondly,yes, they are fans of the PES series, but fans who hated PES08 and as such would be very wary of what Konami serve up this time. If anything, fans of the series saying it is playing well is better and a bit of a return to form, as opposed to some nobody who does game reviews 1 week in 4 for the News of the World saying it is great, is MUCH better IMO.

People who know the series and know what has made it succesfull are in a better position to judge whether it is a return to form than non-fans, surely? of course there is an element of them wanting to like it, but if it stank like they said PES08 did they would probably say it again.

In saying that, I am cautious and I'm waiting for news of Suff and Adam on WENB getting a play-test of it, as they are very critical of PES08.

Suff from WENB liked FIFA 09 so much he now edits for Fifasoccerblog.com :p I thought that was great.

But yeah i know what you mean, WENB are good, exept they got this exited last year and then red faced turned against the game like many of us.

"Looks good, thats crap" had to do with it because you were talking about the game like you had played it when infact it was just grapevine. And what i was getting at is that this happens every year, people get exited about new games, myself included, but that we shouldnt untill we play it. Ya know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Irish Iron wrote: »
    Why no fifa forum? :confused:
    cuz fifa sux and pes rulez

Seriously though, I have FIFA2008 and PES2008 on the PS2, but when you're used to one, it's seriously hard to get into another, trying to remaster the controls etc so I never really bothered trying to master it. Who actually plays FIFA these days, everyone I know thats a gamer plays PES. Any interview with a footballer will mention PES as a passtime, never FIFA.

Suff from WENB liked FIFA 09 so much he now edits for Fifasoccerblog.com :p I thought that was great.

But yeah i know what you mean, WENB are good, exept they got this exited last year and then red faced turned against the game like many of us.

"Looks good, thats crap" had to do with it because you were talking about the game like you had played it when infact it was just grapevine. And what i was getting at is that this happens every year, people get exited about new games, myself included, but that we shouldnt untill we play it. Ya know?

EA approached Suff and Adam last year, before PES08 came out, and asked them to create a FIFA blog. Either of them editing a FIFA blog does not mean much other than the fact the accepted EA's request last year.

Also, you still don't seem to be understanding what i mean by 'look' I HAVE SEEN SCREENSHOTS. I KNOW HOW THE GAME LOOKS, SO I CAN COMMENT ON THE LOOKS OF THE GAME, while also being able to pass on the opinions I have heard regarding the game. I have not said I know the gameplay is different, though I am fairly confident that it is, and I have also said that I am cautious, but cautiously optimistic based on what I ma hearing.

Jesus Christ.

CAPS Lock? Man im getting out of this thread... FAST!

But ill just say, is it rediculous, what im saying? To wait and see because last year it was all hype? I really dont think so.

Anywho, i dont think i can take another CAPS lock fury. Its just too much for me.

Jesus Christ.

CAPS Lock? Man im getting out of this thread... FAST!

But ill just say, is it rediculous, what im saying? To wait and see because last year it was all hype? I really dont think so.

Anywho, i dont think i can take another CAPS lock fury. Its just too much for me.

It is perfectly sensible to wait til you have played the game yourself, but i also don't see what the issue is woith reporting what other people who have played the game think of it.

As for the caps lock.... I just don't get why you picked up on my comments regarding the look of the game in comparison to FIFA given the fact we know what both FIFA and Pro look like.

It wasnt like a "Tauren, your full of ****!" post.

And actually your comments on the actual look of the game were not what i pulled up. It was just the grapevine stuff we get every year, like, i was just saying that this year will be different for me, as i always bought the hype before. Maybe "looks good thats crap" was a bit rash, and it wasnt directed at you, but like if someone was chatting to me and said "PES09 looks good" i would say, so did 08.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 RogerMorrison

it sounds like Fifa is not as good as PES, I'm a Fifa player and I like the features it offers, PES looks more realistic. both are very good with their strengths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,819 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I swear if you said this was a post from 2004 I'd have believed you

PES (EFootball) has been absolutely ruined now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

you were close enough.he commented on a 14 year old thread...that has to be a record on boards :D

Advertisement