Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Judas Priest - whats the crack here?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Priest weren't NWOBHM.

If you don't like them, other people telling you how good they are isn't going to make you like them. All you need is 'Sad Wings Of Destiny' and 'Unleashed In The East' to understand why they are considered with bands like Sabbath and Motorhead.

QUOTE]
    lol i said that exact point about if he doesnt like them he doesnt like them in my first reply.

they are NWOBHM, the NWOBHM is to do wit the timing of the bands coming and being faster the the originals.
    yes fair enough they were around with sabbath, but they only broke the US at the start of NWOBHM, that makes them NMOBHM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

damonjewel wrote: »
    Ok lets say this programme is charting metal from start to present day

So lets start with 1969 Sabbath, good ok, Deep Purple, fine yeah, Judas Priest eh? then Maiden, them good too, Motley Crue not my thing but yeah they're metal, Metallica, Anthrax and so on.

My point is really why are priest in here with these Metal heavyweights.

As for Priest being heavier than Lizzy I think not, check out Chinatown

Sad wings of destiny, hell bent for leather, screaming for vengeance, defenders of the faith (if you don't think this is metal, you're daft in the head :p) etc. They were very much relevant. If you don't think they're heavy metal heavyweights then I doubt there's much we can do to change your mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Priest weren't NWOBHM.

If you don't like them, other people telling you how good they are isn't going to make you like them. All you need is 'Sad Wings Of Destiny' and 'Unleashed In The East' to understand why they are considered with bands like Sabbath and Motorhead.

Maybe its halfords vocals because when you get past them that track on Sad wings of destiny is not bad. But that actually is before the period that they are best known for i.e. British Steel

I never said they were not heavy metal which thankfully means I'm not daft in the head :pac:

As for not liking them, well its not that I dislike them if they were on the radio or if I was in a pub and they were on, I wouldn't be annoyed at all. Its just that I don't really rate them

Considered along with Sabbath, now really lads

This is into the void by the Sabbs, which makes the posted JP songs sound like demos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I never said they were not heavy metal which thankfully means I'm not daft in the head :pac:

Good man :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Maybe its halfords vocals because when you get past them that track on Sad wings of destiny is not bad. But that actually is before the period that they are best known for i.e. British Steel

It could be his vocals alright. I was never a fan of British Steel anyway, I still think it's a fairly crap album and don't understand why it's considered one of their best.
    Considered along with Sabbath, now really lads

This is into the void by the Sabbs, which makes the posted JP songs sound like demos

I can't remember who said it but here'ss a quote I've heard before:

"Black Sabbath were heavy, but Judas Priest were Metal"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

It could be his vocals alright. I was never a fan of British Steel anyway, I still think it's a fairly crap album and don't understand why it's considered one of their best.

I can't remember who said it but here'ss a quote I've heard before:

"Black Sabbath were heavy, but Judas Priest were Metal"

Interesting quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Judas Priest were for me one of the best bands around in the 80s and late 70s. Their look was well dodgy but they released some great albums. Especially Defenders of the faith, Stained Class, Sad wings of destiny and Unleashed in the east.
    Things went badly with Turbo and ram it down in the late 80s but Painkiller was a crushing return to form. I lost interest after that but they were a band that got me into metal in a big way.
    Their early stuff was excellent and a bit ethereal at times like Sabbath.
    The Ripper, Beyond the realms of death , Dissident Agressor (Covered by SLayer) , Green Manalishi, Night Comes Down, Sinner , Before the Dawn, Diamonds and Rust.........the mouth waters.
    Buy Unleashed in the East and tell me the songs aren't good (forget the dubbed in screams from the crowd!!) then we can argue.....

Advertisement