Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im moving to Sligo.....Help please?!

Options
  • 17-05-2008 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi everyone.....

Im new to this site and from my name and the post title you can prob guess why Im here!!!

Im moving from 'the midlands' to Sligo in the next few weeks with work. Im currently trying to source nice accommodation in a nice area. I will be moving on my own so Id like somewhere safe and preferably not right in the middle of town...

Can you recommend some nice areas?

Also Im really hoping to start surfing when I move, have been a few times before and loved it, wheres the best school as Ill need lessons for sure!

Im 24 so I dont wanna be out in the sticks but not in town either iykwim...

Is Sligo a nice place??? Ive only been once.. Im terrified I wont make any friends, how childish does that sound??

Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks guys
    xxx;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This thread might help a bit.

And this

Places to eat

Primary schools

Pubs (if you are old enough)

Picnic spots

Part time jobs

Music scene

What to do at weekends

There are loads of threads if you want to trawl back a few pages and they should give you an insight.

Personally I wouldnt go near the place though.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Hi and welcome!

If you drive, Strandhill would be lovely for the summer (how long will you be here for). There's a surf school there, some nice pubs and restaurants, and your only 5km from town. There are alot of suburbs on the outskirts of town which would all be quiet. Have a look at Daft.ie and if you like the look of anywhere, post here and we could give you more information about the area.

Don't worry about friends, most people are lovely, its just us on this forum who are weird, but we're locked in windowless rooms with just computers to talk to, so you should be safe enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Hi there! Accommodation-wise, you're picking a good time as the IT Sligo students are all heading home for the summer, so I assume that there will be more places available than in the town. A good place to start looking for accommodation is the local newspapers, but as you're still in the Midlands, I'm sure that this isn't exactly convenient for you. The Sligo Champion's website hasn't been updated for a while now but the Sligo weekender's Accommodation section is updated weekly:

http://sligoweekender.ie/news/accommodation.asp

A new site that I only learned of after a flyer popped through my door yesterday is www.amigos.ie. It's only starting off but it seems OK.

As for places to live that are accessible to town, I live in in the Mulberry park/Ashbury Lawn estate in Ballinode - 20 minutes walk from the town centre. It is a nice, quiet area, the only problems being some rowdy students every so often & the smashed glass bottles etc that accompanies it. It is only a mild annoyance though compared to other areas both in Sligo and other towns. Anyway, end of the school year should = no more glass. I haven't lived anywhere else in the town, so I can't validly comment on how nice other areas are.

Sligo Town environs and the county has some lovely scenery. Strandhill, Rosses Point, Knocknarea, Carrowmore tombs etc. The town itself is nice, especially in our current sunny weather (Castle street excepted for the moment, it's experiencing a strange economic downturn at the moment :-p). I'll leave it to others to comment now, I've pretty much said my bit!

Hope you enjoy it here!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I think if I (well, Mr Xiney and I) could do the whole moving to Sligo schtick over, I'd have pushed to move to far closer to the city centre, actually. However, if that's not what you're looking for, there are some lovely areas of Sligo to live in. I'd visit if possible first, have a look around, that sort of thing.

If you're looking to get into surfing, why not look into living in Strandhill and commuting (by car!) into Sligo? Strandhill is a nice town and you're only 15 minutes away from Sligo.

As far as making friends is concerned... I'm afraid I'm not really the one to ask. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Heading4Sligo

Ah thanks a million guys, you're all very good!! The reason I want a bit outside town is that this will most likely be longterm and Im not really a townie kind of girl! :p

Strandhill looks great, bit more expensive than other areas but might be worth it in the long run...

There a couple in Ballysodare?? Is that far out of town?

• Advertisement

Why dont you just keep moving up the road a little further to Donegal. A much better place and a nicer class of people.

Personally I wouldnt go near the place though.
    :eek:

BASQUILLE!!!!

Ballisodare is about the same distance from Sligo as Strandhill, but inland - farther from the beach ;)

Nice enough looking place though, from what I've seen of it. Lots and lots of new developments.

Hmmmm its cheaper though so I might look into that area! Ill be sharing so I hope all you Sligo folk are friendly....... lol ;)

In my experience, it doesn't matter who you're sharing with or where they're from... they'll get on your tits somehow :mad:

• Advertisement

Oh dont say that.... Ive never shared before so I hope it wont be terrible!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Best of luck with the move, I'm sure you'll be grand.
    Can't help as regards friends, I've been here 17 years and still haven't made any:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Ah thanks a million guys, you're all very good!! The reason I want a bit outside town is that this will most likely be longterm and Im not really a townie kind of girl! :p

Strandhill looks great, bit more expensive than other areas but might be worth it in the long run...

Your a girl..... hey how YOU doing??:D
    If you are gonna be driving i'd be inclined to go Ballisodare or Colloney, it will be cheaper and quieter.
    I'd suggest Ballymote but think that would be a bad start to your stay in Sligo!!

LOL - I think I will look into those areas cause they sound lovely!! Im so scared I won't make friends, Im gonna try and share with guys and girls cause I usually get on better with guys, no bitchiness and all that! Plus they will probably be more likely to invite me out with them.....and then Ill meet more people (hopefully!!)

Thanks for the advice...gonna start my house search here now! xxx :o

I would suggest an evening at the cinema for us without Sligo friends, but I have a funny feeling I could be shot down in flames... !

Why you gonna see Top Gun? ha ha..
    Havent been to the cinema since i came back from oz... damn, another thing on the to do list..
    'Tis a good job im using a roll of incredibly long andrex to write it on :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

slideways wrote: »
    If you are gonna be driving i'd be inclined to go Ballisodare or Colloney, it will be cheaper and quieter.

Collooney is not cheap!
    I'd suggest Ballymote but think that would be a bad start to your stay in Sligo!!

Why?
    Ballymote is not half as bad as ppl make out! I've been here since Xmas and it's grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Gillie wrote: »

Why?
    Ballymote is not half as bad as ppl make out! I've been here since Xmas and it's grand!

They say the youth is the future.

If I look at the Ballymote youth, I see a future of dismay and broken windows.

/Sweeping Generilisation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Good luck with the move OP. You're getting here at a good time anyway, I love Sligo during the summer! :)

I wouldn't panic about making friends, you should do so fairly easily especially if you're sharing (/shudder). If all else fails, Basquille (Our Moderator) accepts lighters in exchange for friendship. It's his fetish.

I'm hoping that eventually we'll all meet up for a sligo beers! Hopefully during the summer so if or when that goes ahead you'd be more than welcome to come along. Although we would ask that if Muffler does come that you'd avoid him as much as possible. He's always trying to thief our people. No matter what he says Donegal is not better than Sligo. Field's and sheep is all there is. Boglands! :D

takola wrote: »
    Good luck with the move OP. You're getting here at a good time anyway, I love Sligo during the summer! :)

I wouldn't panic about making friends, you should do so fairly easily especially if you're sharing (/shudder). If all else fails, Basquille (Our Moderator) accepts lighters in exchange for friendship. It's his fetish.

I'm hoping that eventually we'll all meet up for a sligo beers! Hopefully during the summer so if or when that goes ahead you'd be more than welcome to come along. Although we would ask that if Muffler does come that you'd avoid him as much as possible. He's always trying to thief our people. No matter what he says Donegal is not better than Sligo. Field's and sheep is all there is. Boglands! :D
    Agh them smooth talking donegal boys with their "cute" accents
    [shakes fist] grrrr [/shakes fist]

• Advertisement

takola wrote: »
    Although we would ask that if Muffler does come that you'd avoid him as much as possible. He's always trying to thief our people. No matter what he says Donegal is not better than Sligo. Field's and sheep is all there is. Boglands! :D
    Ah sure I love the boglands and fields (and the sheep) but I only ever have eyes for you takola. Now are you going to organise this long awaited beers night? (please)

slideways wrote: »
    Agh them smooth talking donegal boys with their "cute" accents
    [shakes fist] grrrr [/shakes fist]
    Ah shucks - that has just made my day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

magnumlady wrote: »
    Best of luck with the move, I'm sure you'll be grand.
    Can't help as regards friends, I've been here 17 years and still haven't made any:(

That's awful. Mind you, I'm finding it the same with regards Geevagh. I don't do religion, I don't have children and I'm not a pub goer so what else is there? :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's too late for you now. ;)

genie wrote: »
    That's awful. Mind you, I'm finding it the same with regards Geevagh. I don't do religion, I don't have children and I'm not a pub goer so what else is there? :(
    Agh head to the church, ya never know you might meet some friendly farmer, and i hear there is free grub too.. but it right at the end so ya have to stay for the duration!
    Find a buff and offer him a hand at turning the turf for him...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Same here as regards the church and the pubs, have kids tho.

I don't do religion, I don't have children and I'm not a pub goer so what else is there? :(

Werd.

Xiney wrote: »
    Werd.
    Is that some new fangled social interaction or a typo

Not really new... it's "Word" but spelled wrong.

God explaining it makes it so much less cool. I hope you're happy.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Xiney wrote: »
    Not really new... it's "Word" but spelled wrong.

God explaining it makes it so much less cool. I hope you're happy.:mad:

reg_settings_custom400.jpg

• Advertisement

To be perfectly honest I've been on the brink of posting something along the lines of "please be my friend" for aaages

only my last shred of dignity has stopped me so far.

To hell with dignity anyway, it's lonely up here!

Advertisement