Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Connection

Options
  • 17-05-2008 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

I have a 2 meg line with UTV and regularly use to get around 200k / sec, but for the last month or so the max ( at any time in the day ) is 100k / sec. Has my line been down graded ? has this happened to anyone else ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭theone

I was capped at 512k for a long time had alot of trouble trying to get an engineer out to the exchange.I hope you have line rental with utv aswell eircom won't fix it even if you have line rental with them.

I have a 2mb line meself,upgraded to 3mb to take advanatage of the speed increase fingers crossed it will go ok.

Give utv support a call/email there pretty helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Smoggy wrote: »
    I have a 2 meg line with UTV and regularly use to get around 200k / sec, but for the last month or so the max ( at any time in the day ) is 100k / sec. Has my line been down graded ? has this happened to anyone else ?

I always say and just posted in another form for slow speeds you need to check. The downstream/upstream and also SR and line Attenuation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Richieno9

I have a 3mb connection with UTV and since January I cannot get more than 1mb speeds during the day. The only time I can get any good speed is from 1am -8am. I flagged it with UTV in January and they blamed my telephone line until I got an engineer out to test it. Finally this month they told me that there was a problem in the area and that they would eircom to sort it.
    Today I got a mail from them saying Eircom will not fix the problem as they are planning an upgrade to their lines in June but cannot confirm this.
    Now I have been downgraded to 2mb to test and cannot get any better speed than 410kbps. They are quite happy for me to cancel my subscription as they cant help me.
    Terrible service is putting it mildly.

I understand your frustration but you can't put the entire blame on utv they resell eircoms product after all , eircom don't rush to fix anything until you kick up a fuss if your not an eircom customer.

They'll do their best to put you off in my case refusing to send out an engineer because I wasn't an eircom customer and then complaining about doing the job when he finally came out.If you were an eircom customer I'd say your problem would be fixed pretty quickly.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

theone wrote: »
    I understand your frustration but you can't put the entire blame on utv they resell eircoms product after all , eircom don't rush to fix anything until you kick up a fuss if your not an eircom customer.

They'll do their best to put you off in my case refusing to send out an engineer because I wasn't an eircom customer and then complaining about doing the job when he finally came out.If you were an eircom customer I'd say your problem would be fixed pretty quickly.

There have been plenty of examples on here of Eircom sending out engineers reasaonably promptly. they have an obligation to do this as UTV are their customers.

However people on here jump to all sorts of conclusions without apparently attempting any diagnosis of what exactly is causing the problems.

As is pointed out by little devil above when you are having problems with speeds etc the first basic thing to do is check your line stats. Many people seem to opt for the highest possible speed without ensuring that their line is up to it.

And always remember that no matter what is wrong UTV will blame Eircom. In most cases they may be right but it is simple reflex for them to do so.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    There have been plenty of examples on here of Eircom sending out engineers reasaonably promptly. they have an obligation to do this as UTV are their customers.

However people on here jump to all sorts of conclusions without apparently attempting any diagnosis of what exactly is causing the problems.

As is pointed out by little devil above when you are having problems with speeds etc the first basic thing to do is check your line stats. Many people seem to opt for the highest possible speed without ensuring that their line is up to it.

And always remember that no matter what is wrong UTV will blame Eircom. In most cases they may be right but it is simple reflex for them to do so.
    you quoted me so I guess your referering to me jumping to conclusions,I can't speak for anybody else but in my case it was pretty simple.I pay you line rental so you send an engineer out to fix my problem.

They didnt do this so i had to change line rental to utv before they would do anything,then when they finally came out i had to listen to the engineer complaining about fixing it,there eircoms lines so whats wrong with fixing them?.

Utv resell eircoms product so it's only natural that if something goes wrong they blame eircom it might be a simplistic view but it proves to be right alot of the time.In my case my line stats were more than capable it was the line that was at fault,utv support actually checked my line stats for me not necessary as i checked them meself sort of rules out your basic views of speed problems.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

theone wrote: »
    you quoted me so I guess your referering to me jumping to conclusions,I can't speak for anybody else but in my case it was pretty simple.I pay you line rental so you send an engineer out to fix my problem.

They didnt do this so i had to change line rental to utv before they would do anything,then when they finally came out i had to listen to the engineer complaining about fixing it,there eircoms lines so whats wrong with fixing them?.

Utv resell eircoms product so it's only natural that if something goes wrong they blame eircom it might be a simplistic view but it proves to be right alot of the time.In my case my line stats were more than capable it was the line that was at fault,utv support actually checked my line stats for me not necessary as i checked them meself sort of rules out your basic views of speed problems.

As I pointed out often they will be right when they blame Eircom but there have been many many examples on here of them blaming Eircom in the wrong. for example when I was with them they blamed Eircom for their billing error - I kid thee not. It is an easy excuse to fall back on for them.

One example does not rule out the fact that many peoples lines' are simply not up to the speed they chose or are allowed chose by isps who should know better.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ISP's need to make it more clear with regards to what a line will potentially support, this is currently happening in the UK

dub45 wrote: »
    As I pointed out often they will be right when they blame Eircom but there have been many many examples on here of them blaming Eircom in the wrong. for example when I was with them they blamed Eircom for their billing error - I kid thee not. It is an easy excuse to fall back on for them.

One example does not rule out the fact that many peoples lines' are simply not up to the speed they chose or are allowed chose by isps who should know better.

I know that one example doesn't prove anything the only reason I gave that example was because you quoted me instead of making a general point.

I agree with cabaal it would be nice if isp's wouldn't sell you a speed the line can't support.

Advertisement