Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual boot, but not partition

• 17-05-2008 7:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I bought a new pc a few weeks ago, and it seems to have been just in time, as my old one has now crashed spectacularly. I can save the hd, just about. I've got Vista on my new PC and the hd from the old pc has XP. Is there anyway of connecting them up so that I can boot into XP when I want and into Vista when I want. I'm suspecting not, as the second hd would need to be set up as a slave hd and therefore could never be booted into, but I thought I'd ask (is master and slave hd's still the way things are). All dual boot manuals I've seen start off with you partitoning your Vista drive and installing XP from scratch.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

not easily and if the old drive had windows OEM then you would not be licensed to do it either

XP on the slave drive means you'll have problems with drive letters and registry even if you can modify the Vista drive to point the other drive

you could disable the Vista drive in the BIOS so only the XP drive is seen.

But no matter what you do you will still have a big problem if the new machine has a different hard drive controller as XP just won't boot

Advertisement