Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun law question.

Options
  • 17-05-2008 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Just from reading the gun laws, I dont see any laws here about been under the influence of alcohol while been in control of a firearm:eek: did I miss somthing in the law?

Now I know every right minded shooter, would never even think of having a tipple. and using a gun. But what is the legal state of this? I have seen driven shooters, having a "wee drop" at there stands. Just to keep out the cold;) Is this against the law:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

The Firearms Acts specify that a person of 'intemperate habits' is not deemed suitable to hold a firearms cert.

Beyond that, it depends what you do with your firearm whilst under the influence, whereupon a whole plethora of other laws devoted to the incarceration of idiots for theirs and the general public's safety swings into place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I can't point to any legal rule as I don't know them all. But, to me that would fall under the law of common sense, in so far as being under the affluence of inkyhol while shooting is about as dumb a thing to be doing as it gets and most definately illegal even though I can't point to a specific law.

I'd not be around anyone shooting who was also drinking, I'd also complain to who ever organised the shoot that it was going on and wouldn't go back until the situation was resolved and the gun concerned removed.

Wouldn't like to have "shot by some drunk idiot" on a bit of marble above my head forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

RRPC nailed it on the head. The reason there's a specific rule against drunk driving is not because everything else gets off scott free, but because it was happening so often that it became a big enough problem to get preventative measures put in place. If you saw people get drunk and shoot other people while out hunting or whatever in this country, you'd see specific rules against it as well; until that day, which frankly I think we'll never see, there are general rules against being reckless that punish those who act the idiot and harm or cause serious risk to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Well, maybe it wont be long before some bright spark [not alluding to you Sparks:D] Comes up with the idea from Europe ,that if you are caught driving under the influence,you lose your driving liscense,your gun liscense and any other liscense for the period you are off the road. If you cant be trusted with a car,can you be trusted with a firearm?Might get more sense into some DUI Idiots out there.

As for drinking on a shoot.There are two differences.Having a shot from a hip flask to keep out the cold[a false belif ,alcohol makes you colder] is one thing,and arriving falling down ossified is two different things.Been on enough shoots where the hip flask has been passesd around for a nip without any problems.But have also been on flapper shoots where the smell of booze was all prevelant as well.When mentioned to the organisers,the answers have been ,nothing we can do about it...............fill in your excuse here.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

If you cant be trusted with a car,can you be trusted with a firearm?
    Amen to that idea. Guns'n'booze... very dodgy mix.
    nothing we can do about it
    Horse hockey. If a college club run by 17-and-18-year-olds can have a no-drinking rule and enforce it, so can the "older generation"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

You also have the following catch all:

Section 13 of the Non Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997

This covers recklass endangerment or specifically where someone is deemed to have acted recklessly then they shall be guilty of endangerment.

can be used anywhere and in a wide number of circumstances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerri

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Well, maybe it wont be long before some bright spark [not alluding to you Sparks:D] Comes up with the idea from Europe ,that if you are caught driving under the influence,you lose your driving liscense,your gun liscense and any other liscense for the period you are off the road. If you cant be trusted with a car,can you be trusted with a firearm?Might get more sense into some DUI Idiots out there.

As for drinking on a shoot.There are two differences.Having a shot from a hip flask to keep out the cold[a false belif ,alcohol makes you colder] is one thing,and arriving falling down ossified is two different things.Been on enough shoots where the hip flask has been passesd around for a nip without any problems.But have also been on flapper shoots where the smell of booze was all prevelant as well.When mentioned to the organisers,the answers have been ,nothing we can do about it...............fill in your excuse here.

If prosecuted in the UK for drink driving, firearms licences are also rescinded but not in all areas as yet.

Advertisement