Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capture from camcorder

• 17-05-2008 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have a camcorder (mini tape) from which I want to capture film . I used to use Windows movie maker on an old pc but movie maker wont recognise the camcorder on the new pc.

I downloaded CaptureFlux which was doing the trick for a while but this now seems to be corrupt/not working.

Any of the other ones I have researched I have to pay for, or else they are only suitable for the more modern HD/mini disc camcorders.

Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative software that will work on Vista and is likely to recognise my type of camcorder.

Edit: just searching thru' the thread - would a video capture card do the trick for me? I presume this will just capture and convert the file to a format that can then be used in say Movie Maker?

Cheers

Ps I have also posted the query on the computers thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

TheBazman wrote: »
    Hi all

I have a camcorder (mini tape) from which I want to capture film . I used to use Windows movie maker on an old pc but movie maker wont recognise the camcorder on the new pc.

I downloaded CaptureFlux which was doing the trick for a while but this now seems to be corrupt/not working.

Any of the other ones I have researched I have to pay for, or else they are only suitable for the more modern HD/mini disc camcorders.

Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative software that will work on Vista and is likely to recognise my type of camcorder.

Edit: just searching thru' the thread - would a video capture card do the trick for me? I presume this will just capture and convert the file to a format that can then be used in say Movie Maker?

Cheers

Ps I have also posted the query on the computers thread

what method are you trying to capture with? firewire? what model of camcorder you using? a capture card shouldn't be neccessary for what you're trying to do imo. could just be a vista problem recognising the camcorder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Hi

Its a Sony something or other (sry at work at the moment). I think you may be right as it worked fine on the last pc. When I flick it over to memory card access on the camcorder its fine (ie) I can drag out the pics etc that are on it, however when I flick over to Player mode it doesnt seem to recognise it.

Anyway I am in the process of biting the bullet and upgrading to the Canon HG-10. I was going to upgrade at some stage and hopefully this one will be somewhat future proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

portomar wrote: »
    what method are you trying to capture with? firewire? what model of camcorder you using? a capture card shouldn't be neccessary for what you're trying to do imo. could just be a vista problem recognising the camcorder

Keep trying with vista, sometimes it takes awhile. It took vista 4 attempts to recognize my phone. Eventually it recognized it. Vista is a pain but it works eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

downloaded a free trial of Ulead Studio and it did the trick. I think I will still upgrade the camcorder as the quality has never been fantastic when burnt to a dvd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

TheBazman wrote: »
    downloaded a free trial of Ulead Studio and it did the trick. I think I will still upgrade the camcorder as the quality has never been fantastic when burnt to a dvd

careful now!
    im a video editor and dvd burning is a serious art. there is so many variables no matter which software you use, you often need to try many different settings with your source video and dvd burning programme to get good results. this includes such "drag and drop" applications like final cut pro used with dvd studio. this problem is not likely to be originating from your camera in my opinion

• Advertisement
Advertisement