Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do bike stands warp your wheels?

Options
  • 17-05-2008 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi,

Where I live we have bike stands that you squeeze a wheel into and the top bar of them holds the wheel between two parallel horizontal bars about 6 inches up from the bottom.

I try to balance the bike as vertically as possible, but I wonder whether these type of stands will warp the wheel over time?

I could possibly move the bike to where the handle bars are resting against the pillar.

If there is a risk of warping, which wheel should go into the stand, front or back?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

not if the bike is balance, its when you get people jumping on them , thats when they bend.

also i go back wheel as it keeps the bike upright easier, but i make sure its in top gear as this allows the derailleur space.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hate them.

Ever seen a rack with just the front wheel of a stolen bike left ?
    Ever seen a bent wheel in one ?

I'd lock mine to the end of the rack so you can have the frame locked and they can't twist the wheels as easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

There was one where I used to live. I seldom leave a bike outside anyway, but
    I usually lean the back of the bike on the side of the rack, rather than putting the wheel into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

So there is a risk of warping then?

I am not worried about vandals wrecking it, as it is in a secure underground garage. Just the leverage of its own wait on the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

In that case it's mostly fine. Remember you also get things though like the coats of passersby getting caught too which might have the same effect....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Yes they do warp your wheels (from experence) and if you've another option i would take it

Advertisement