Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why hasn't Australia got more population?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Maybe there is a lot of bush there and the bush fires are a pain. I remember hearing about this while driving around the great ocean road in Victoria.

Now for a more important question, why do aussies say Satday instead of Saturday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Proberly the dust getting everywhere, and the killer spiders eating babies.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Look at the desert based cities in the US. They need massive amounts of water pumped from elsewhere. It might be a similar situation with starting up new cities in Stralya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

javaboy wrote: »
    Look at the desert based cities in the US. They need massive amounts of water pumped from elsewhere. It might be a similar situation with starting up new cities in Stralya.

But on the south coast?-there must be some more rivers up there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Looks like most of that area is just desert...isn't most of the population based on the east coast between Sydney and Melbourne? Fancy starting a city with me?

• Advertisement

Affable wrote: »
    But on the south coast?

What am I the answer man? I assume it's something to do with babies being eaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Our lizard overlords occupy the central plains, and until now they have managed to divert human interest away from this area.

Until now......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Unfortunately, Australia, even with its current population, is completely unsustainable and unviable as a country. Check out some articles about their current problems with drought and farming. (I'm heading out now so I don't have time to check.)
    Did you never wonder why, with some of the world's most populous nations so close by and within easy reach, that Australia was never colonised en-masse by Asians? They knew better than us, in much the same way that native Americans never settled in areas of the US affected by hurricanes.
    Far from seeing more cities being built, I can see the country degenerating into a Mad-Max style wasteland by 2050. (seriously)

Perth is the worlds most remote city.

This is why Mad Max will happen
    http://www.geocities.com/daveclarkecb/Australia/Graphs/OzRainfallTrend36Years.jpg

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Great post OP!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Only so much room in the kangaroo pouch.

Great post OP!

Thankyou for your kind words. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

chopper............obviously!!!!!

I'd 'fuppin' love to live in Melbourne, Tassie or NZ.

If only the whole in the Ozone wasnt above there and they didn't have such high skin cancer rates....

I just had a quick search on the interweb and apparently they did try building a new city but they'd barely built a road, a power station, a police station a school and zoned some residential area when this happened:

Australia's New City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

thank god it hasn't, those Aussies are so annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I just had a quick search on the interweb and apparently they did try building a new city but they'd barely built a road, a power station, a police station a school and zoned some residential area when this happened:

Australia's New City

Nice :pac:

Australia's New City
    laugh all ya want.......adamstown in a year or two!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

taidghbaby wrote: »
    laugh all ya want.......adamstown in a year or two!!!

Tall buildings like that white one in the middle of the pic would never get planning in Dublin. Its "too full of tallness". So we'll have crappy low density houses getting squashed, and nobody will care.

Sim city rocks.

Archeron wrote: »
    Tall buildings like that white one in the middle of the pic would never get planning in Dublin. Its "too full of tallness". So we'll have crappy low density houses getting squashed, and nobody will care.

Sim city rocks.
    the town centre in adamstown is a massive building with glass windows all over and a big galvanise like white roof on it!!!

other than that your on the ball!!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Too hot for shagging?
    Maybe there is a lot of bush there and the bush fires are a pain.
    *snigger*

Sherifu wrote: »
    Too hot for shagging?

We don't want to hear about you.

A-ha-ha-ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Affable wrote: »
    We don't want to hear about you.

A-ha-ha-ha.
    Ok...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That section is the Nullarbor Plain. "Nullarbor" means something like "nothing grows there". Its a desert.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Perth is the worlds most remote city.
    By what calculation? What about Honoululu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The government pay people a lump sum for every child thats born, in an effort to increase the population. The Baby Bonus.

Maybe it was most remote with a population of a million+ (random guess)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Victor wrote: »

Mike65 may be right. A google has brought up sites which say it is. It's not what I would have thought myself.

http://claremontglobetrotters.blogspot.com/2007/11/most-remote-city-in-world.html

How about this for remote.....

http://www.4to40.com/newsat4/index.asp?id=626

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Jo Fort, who has owned the Birdsville with her husband, Kym, for 27 years

Are those names not mixed up?

Crazy Aussies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Remember hearing before that something like 90% of Aussies live within 10 miles of the coast.

And if you've ever been to places in the Northern Territory like Tennant Creek and Alice Springs you'd understand why, barren desert with piss all vegetation is all that seems to be out that way. They boast about their 60,000 acre farms being some of the biggest in the world but thats only because they need to be that size for the animals to get enough grass. Poor feckin cows have to walk miles just to chew on a crappy tuft of sun burnt grass. They've even imported Middle Eastern camels to the Northern Territory cause they're so well suited to the climate and conditions which kinda says it all.

Fair play to the Aborgines for surviving in that kind of environment for the last 50,000 years, us Paddys would've died of dehydration chasing 'roos for dinner:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I dont know why they dont turn the continent into a giant solar energy farm to be honest. could start exporting to asia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

lake disappointment near the west coast :confused:

what they expected a lake but were disappointed when they didn't find one :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

to answer your question OP, there is not enough water to sustain a large city in the middle of the aussie desert. unlike huge cities in the states that have thrived in the middle of the mojave such as Phoenix and las vegas who have a constant supply of water from the melting of snow packed rocky mountains in colorado, utah, wyoming etc with peaks over 4000m high there is nothing like this in australia to sustain a growing city in the middle of nowhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

There used to be people living there, but the crocodiles ate them all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

The thinly veiled homo-eroticism in Australia's faux macho mateship culture might have a little something to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Perth... Actually WA in a whole seems to be in a time warp... it's like spending time in the bl**dy eighties... a total joke of a place that seems to wallow in it's "we're different" lifestyle. And to anyone thats from the "developed" world they're lost... bollox of a hole... avoid!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

The country actually has a much larger population than is generally known. It's just that most of the kids are locked up in cellars.

Oh wait - Australia...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

Noffles wrote: »
    Perth... Actually WA in a whole seems to be in a time warp... it's like spending time in the bl**dy eighties... a total joke of a place that seems to wallow in it's "we're different" lifestyle. And to anyone thats from the "developed" world they're lost... bollox of a hole... avoid!!!!!!!!

Ever hear of tourettes syndrome ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

The Al Lad wrote: »
    Ever hear of tourettes syndrome ???

I have yes..? Why do you ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

There are restrictions on immigration into Australia, the White Australia policy. It's mostly to prevent an substantial Asian minority in Australia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Australia_policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

latenia wrote: »
    Unfortunately, Australia, even with its current population, is completely unsustainable and unviable as a country. Check out some articles about their current problems with drought and farming. (I'm heading out now so I don't have time to check.)
    Did you never wonder why, with some of the world's most populous nations so close by and within easy reach, that Australia was never colonised en-masse by Asians? They knew better than us, in much the same way that native Americans never settled in areas of the US affected by hurricanes.
    Far from seeing more cities being built, I can see the country degenerating into a Mad-Max style wasteland by 2050. (seriously)

And I shall be there with my cane beating down the youngsters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Victor wrote: »
    That section is the Nullarbor Plain. "Nullarbor" means something like "nothing grows there". Its a desert.

Pretty sure it's based on the distance between it and the next recognised 'city'. 99% sure Perth is the most isolated in the world. Great place though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Perth is great alright 'Deadly Buzz' as we used ta say.

there are a few areas left that have the potential to maintain larger cities, the Ord river area springs to mind as does the whole Central coast, and here in QLD anywhere along the coast, Cairns and Townsville are growing rather quickly and other towns like Bundaberg and Rockhampton are becoming larger.

course theres still feck all in the Outback, Mt Isa is probably one of the biggest, then places like Longreach and Roma.

however a quick look at the problems in the Murray-Darling basin would give a very good insight into the problems here in Australia

Advertisement