Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Corsa 1.2 Club

Options
  • 17-05-2008 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭

So I just bought a brand new Opel Corsa 1.2 Club 5 door from my local Opel dealer. Could someone better informed tell me whether or not I got a good deal?

Corsa 1.2 Club 5 door,
    Red paint (not metallic - didn't want it),
    Shine guard,
    Plus pack (alloys, fog light etc.),
    "High quality" mats FOC,
    Extra flippy type key FOC (so 3 keys in total instead of 2),
    1st service @ 6 months FOC,
    Tank of petrol.

€17435, over 5 years (Opel finance), = €357 per month.

Good? Bad? I've never bought a brand new car before. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

You can add about €3 - 4K on total cost when you include interest. What swayed you to buy a corsa? :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I thought Opel were doing 0% interest? I think Kia are too and I know which one I'd have bought.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

junkyard wrote: »
    I thought Opel were doing 0% interest? I think Kia are too and I know which one I'd have bought.;)
    AFAIK that's only if you do the 50:50 thing. I think you got a good deal OP, though you could have saved more by buying in July.....

And I know you said you didn't want metallic paint but it's the single most important thing too add when it comes to buying a car as it makes it look better and far more desirable when trying to sell it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Thanks lads for your replies.

Is that right about the metallic? Jees, I had no idea it was that important. I might call them on Monday and change to a metallic colour. To be honest, the wife and I were torn between the red and a metallic sky blue that they have.

We were orginally looking at either the Kia Picanto or Hyundai Getz - that's kind of our budget. But then my wife piped up that she'd be able to contribute a bit to the monthly payments, and so our budget increased, hence the decision to get the more expensive Corsa. I've read great reviews on them online, and it feels like a much more solid car than the other two.

Opel are doing July's prices now, so they claim.

Hal1 and junkyard, are you not a fan of the Corsa? Why not lads? Is there something about them I've missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Benfica , just enjoy your new car!

Half the advice you get here will be biased towards peoples personal preferences/prejudices and the other half may be ill informed.

As long as you are happy with the vehicle and afford the payments, enjoy the feeling of owning your own new car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You've picked a good car, we had one for 13 years and it never gave a days trouble. It was a real little workhorse.

benifa wrote: »
    Is that right about the metallic? Jees, I had no idea it was that important. I might call them on Monday and change to a metallic colour. To be honest, the wife and I were torn between the red and a metallic sky blue that they have.

Yes it is that important. Personally, metallic paint gives the car a much shinier and expensive look. Solid paint is very flat and dull looking. IMO of course!

But cars in metallic paint sell for more used. It will at least keep the premium you paid for it and may even sell for more than the cost of getting metallic paint on a new car.

Either way it does make a car far more desirable when the time comes to selling it on.

Thanks for all the input lads. Now I'm seeing even more ways that I could save money. I've been adding up the cost of buying the same car from the UK and bringing it over.

Here's what I've worked out:

Purchase identical car (except with metallic paint, not solid red) via broadspeed.com for £9997 = €12569
    VRT: €3280
    Flight: €120
    UK expeneses: £100 = €130
    Ferry: £100 = €130
    Petrol: £100 = €130

Grand total = €16359

So, €16359 from the UK verses €17435 if bought locally. And the UK price is with metallic paint, the Irish price isn't. Also, UK is 3 years warranty, Ireland is 2 years.

Now I'm tempted to cancel the order and buy from England. Obviously it's not as convenient as buying locally, but a grand is a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

What about warranty? I don't know if it transfers... And if ur gettin it serviced in that Opel dealer etc. etc. Nice purchase btw, nice wee car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

(in Kerry)I got the 0% over 3 yrs on my corsa i had a trade in E2400 ,98 corsa
    so it works out at E239 for the 3 years,will change then.
    but must say my old corsa was a far better car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

Thanks for all the input lads. Now I'm seeing even more ways that I could save money. I've been adding up the cost of buying the same car from the UK and bringing it over.

Here's what I've worked out:

Purchase identical car (except with metallic paint, not solid red) via broadspeed.com for £9997 = €12569
    VRT: €3280
    Flight: €120
    UK expeneses: £100 = €130
    Ferry: £100 = €130
    Petrol: £100 = €130

Grand total = €16359

So, €16359 from the UK verses €17435 if bought locally. And the UK price is with metallic paint, the Irish price isn't. Also, UK is 3 years warranty, Ireland is 2 years.

Now I'm tempted to cancel the order and buy from England. Obviously it's not as convenient as buying locally, but a grand is a lot of money.
    where u going to get it serviced?do u have to bring it back to uk?

where u going to get it serviced?do u have to bring it back to uk?

I believe the warranty would be valid in Ireland. I called a Vauxhall dealership in London and he told me that they fulfil the warranty of Opel cars purchased in Ireland, so should be the same in reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I believe the warranty would be valid in Ireland. I called a Vauxhall dealership in London and he told me that they fulfil the warranty of Opel cars purchased in Ireland, so should be the same in reverse.

Ring Opel anyway and just make sure u'll have the exact same cover. U never know, ur local dealer could have to work through the english one, plus, u will be drivin a Vauxhall, not an Opel.

Remember that you have to pay both VRT AND VAT on any import that's less than 6 months old. And in the case of the Corsa, a Vauxhall rather than Opel badge not to mention the mph speedo rather than the km/h one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I had a friend in similar position a few months ago with a VW Golf. He was thinking of buying a 18 month old Irish reg car was originally came from UK. The UK warranty was for 3 years but VW Ireland told him they would only honor the 1st 2 years.
    They did they him that in the 3rd year he was free to travel to N.I. and they'd look after any warranty work.

All new cars have a 2 year warranty that is valid throughout the entire EU. In fact the blanket 2 year warranty is a legal requirement of the EU. Anything after 2 years is up to the importers/distributors etc to decide.

E92 wrote: »
    Remember that you have to pay both VRT AND VAT on any import that's less than 6 months old.
    Ah, didn't know that. Makes buying from the UK less attractive then. Local dealer it is so! Saying that, if VAT were paid on the car in the UK, doesn't EU legislation prevent VAT from being applied again, on the same item, in another Member State? Or are cars exempt from this?
    E92 wrote: »
    And in the case of the Corsa, a Vauxhall rather than Opel badge..
    Out of interest, does this matter? I mean, I genuinely thought that (at least in recent years) Vauxhalls and Opels were identical, apart from the badge. However, the dealer I've ordered my Opel Corsa from told me that Opel Corsas are made in Germany, and have higher quality build / components than Vauxhall Corsas, which are made in England. He reckoned that Vauxhalls are generally lesser quality than Opels, and have more re-calls. I was sceptical about all this though, so I asked the question when I was on to that Vauxhall salesman in London, and he told me it's rubbish - they're all made in the same factory, in Northern Spain, and are just badged as either Vauxhall or Opel when they leave! Who do I believe?

They are identical, but having a Vauxhall badge is advertising to everyone that you have a UK import, and besides that Vauxhalls would be worth less than Opels anyway, not to mention the mph rather than km/h speedo, while wouldn't put me off a car in the slightest, it may annoy some people.

Advertisement