Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free range eggs and chicken - nearest farm?

• 17-05-2008 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭

Free range chickens are very expensive in supermarkets and Im wondering where are the nearest farms?

Live city centre but willing to travel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

Hi,

Asked my friend about this (she sells organic chickens at Kilternan Co. market, sources them from a farm in Kildare) and she says farms won't sell chicken to individuals, they sell them to butchers, markets, etc.

The other bad news is that they are not much cheaper than in the supermarkets, I am afraid. A rather large organic chicken costs 18.90 at this market. But it is enough for a nice chicken soup and a Sunday roast chicken for 2 :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Would the cost of travelling not negate any savings?!

My local butcher sells free range chickens for about 10-12 EUR.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭worded

"Would the cost of travelling not negate any savings?!"

Well at least you get to chase and shoot your own (I told my GF they give you a shotgun and she was disgusted )

A butcher I know charging an extra euro for free range
    (He only had 1 last time so it wasnt free range me thinks)
    The markets charge a lot, while I understand they have their expenses and are in business to make a profit - and fair play to to them.

I would like to go direct is all. If there is a local orchard why go to Tescos for apples?

The markets charge a lot, while I understand they have their expenses and are in business to make a profit - and fair play to to them.

I would like to go direct is all. If there is a local orchard why go to Tescos for apples?[/quote]

True... And apologies, I have just realised, you are looking for free range, not organic...

Possum66 wrote: »

I would like to go direct is all. If there is a local orchard why go to Tescos for apples?

True... And apologies, I have just realised, you are looking for free range, not organic...[/QUOTE]

Whats the difference between free range and organic? Aside from 10 euros.

• Advertisement

worded wrote: »

Are you in a position to raise your own??

I think the organic ones have to be fed with organic foodstuff only (grains etc.), allowed to run around outside all day (just like the free range ones), but not given any medication, antibiotics etc. Hence the extra 10 euro.

I think the organic ones have to be fed with organic foodstuff only (grains etc.), allowed to run around outside all day (just like the free range ones), but not given any medication, antibiotics etc. Hence the extra 10 euro.

Organic chickens are given medication & antibiotics! But their feed is more expensive and they are reared longer (I think 81 days) which adds to the cost.
    I think the density is similar to the free range.

olaola wrote: »
    Are you in a position to raise your own??

In an apartment now it might be difficult. I look forward to a big garden somewhere soon please god. I dont know if Chickens will be there, but veg will be.

I look forward to a big garden somewhere soon please god. I dont know if Chickens will be there, but veg will be.

There isn't much to poultry husbandry. They eat scraps and you'll get about 2 eggs a day from 2 ladies. I'd nearly consider it myself.

• Advertisement

"Organic chickens are given medication & antibiotics"

Really? I checked a couple of websites, and they say they don't. Hm...

I'd love to have chickens, too, but in this miserable "garden" it is impossible, not to mentions the rules of the apartment. And who would look after them when we are on holidays...

"Organic chickens are given medication & antibiotics"

Really? I checked a couple of websites, and they say they don't. Hm...

All organic stock are given medication if deemed necessary by a vet. They are not routinely treated with antibiotics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 breffo

A guy called Tim McGlynn in south dublin (Old Court road in Firhouse) sells free range eggs and has just started selling free range chickens.
    He is in the middle of raising his second lot of chickens (does them in batches) which should be ready shortly after Christmas. He might kill some just before Christmas if the demand is there for people who are fed up with turkey.
    He let the first lot of chickens go on untill about 16 weeks old. They were great big birds and texture and taste were fantastic. He was charging 15 euro per bird which is about the same as a freerange bird from one of the supermarkets posh ranges (finest etc) but these are large birds and live a lot longer than most chickens therefore have a bit of time to develope taste. BTW he sells them frozen. His mobile number is 086 8127581

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NoshCritic

Worded - appreciate that this is a very late reply to your query last year: You can go to a free range grower/processer and get your chicken from them without the retailers mark-up. BTW - if the mark up is only a €1 or €2 the chance of it being the real thing is slim. The average mark-up is 33% of the wholesale price.

By going direct you can get only fillets if you've limited freezer space, or ask for the portions you'd like legs, breast on the bone, whatever you need. Go to some of the top butchers shops tomorrow morn and take a look at where they get them from and see if you can make direct contact.

In an apartment now it might be difficult. I look forward to a big garden somewhere soon please god. I dont know if Chickens will be there, but veg will be.

Some guy between Kilternan and Enniskerry is currently looking for enthusiastic wannabe gardeners: he has some allotments for rent. 40, 60 square meters for 190, 280 € for a year (March-December). If you need more info, drop me a line. I wanted to sing up for one, but husband doesn't let me :mad:

Advertisement