Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs

Options
  • 17-05-2008 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Shooting is an expensive sport, so I'm just wondering, how much you estimate it'd cost you for your various different shooting habits, both individually and in total, so just for the sake of discussion, anyone care to give some figures, and the calibre and level they're shooting?

I'm extrapolating, as I'm shooting less than a year, but, leaving aside the cost of the gun itself (whole other ballgame, thinking more ongoing costs here), I'd probably run up:

FAC: €38
    Ammo: estimate around 5-6000 rounds, at around €15 a hundred, so €750 to €900
    Club Membership: €170

That's all I can think of at the moment, but yeah, it works out at a fair chunk. Hopefully cut ammo costs by some margin if limit increase comes through. Shooting only smallbore target rifle by the by.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Licences: €38x3
    Ammo: €12x20 or so, depending
    Travel: thousands, depending on the year (last year was the GB Jrs in Bisley and the Kuortane trip, so it was light - €3k only at the most)
    Club membership: €120
    NTSA membership: €20 or whatever it was last year :D
    Misc stuff (meaning time, small expenses I've forgotten, that sort of thing) - probably several times the total so far.

Thing is, air and smallbore are small change for operating costs, but major change for capital costs. My rifles/pistol and kit come to around about €7k all told, maybe more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

2x rifle licences
    1x shotgun licence
    32Euro per 20 for .223 rounds. Probably shoot (guess) 5-600 rounds a year.
    7.50 Euro per 50 .22lr rounds. Probably shooting 1,000 rounds a year.
    I have no idea how much shotgun carts are as I don't buy many, shoot a handful of carts.

They would be my "running costs" besides cleaning products.

If you ask me how much all my rifles and gear cost me you'll just make me cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

johngalway wrote: »
    If you ask me how much all my rifles and gear cost me you'll just make me cry.

Heh. I left it out for a reason. :p That said, with my top class target rifle for €650, I think I came out of that one better than most.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

FAC - €32 - I think
    Cartridges - 5,000 pa @ €200 / 1000 approx = €1,000
    ICPSA membership - €125
    ICPSA Coaching affiliation - €150
    3 x Gun Club Memberships - €200 approx
    About 30 registered shoots pa @ €40 each = €1200
    God knows how many practice shoots and flappers = €????
    Annual trip to Krieghoff Classic in Wales = €150 entry fee, €120 ferry, €150 hotel, €300 alcohol. Total = €720 - and that's next week:):)
    Annual trip to Homes Countries International & British Open 4 out of every 5 years - nearly the same as above! €700

All in all about €4500:eek::eek::eek:

Jesus H Christ.....I better delete this before the wife sees it!

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

This year so far:

Club Membership: €4 (to DURC) + €340 (to TCD to let me join DURC)
    Match fees: ~€150
    NTSA membership: €20
    NSRA membership: £69.00
    FAC: €38
    Ammunition: ~€40 (most of my ammunition is free)

Total: Less than €700

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

FAC - €32 - I think
    Cartridges - 5,000 pa @ €200 / 1000 approx = €1,000
    ICPSA membership - €125
    ICPSA Coaching affiliation - €150
    3 x Gun Club Memberships - €200 approx
    About 30 registered shoots pa @ €40 each = €1200
    God knows how many practice shoots and flappers = €????
    Annual trip to Krieghoff Classic in Wales = €150 entry fee, €120 ferry, €150 hotel, €300 alcohol. Total = €720 - and that's next week:):)
    Annual trip to Homes Countries International & British Open 4 out of every 5 years - nearly the same as above! €700

All in all about €4500:eek::eek::eek:

Jesus H Christ.....I better delete this before the wife sees it!

PMA .MY MAN YOU MIGHT WIN IT AND COVER THE YEARS SHOOTING

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

This is all off the top of my head so I may have forgotten some stuff and may not be that accurate but should be close.

As with everyone else this does not cover my startup costs for security, firearms, memberships, initial kit but just covers approx. annual running costs.

Club Membership - €120
    CAI Insurance - €50 (I think, can't remember)

Pistol (Centrefire)
    FAC = €38 I think
    PSNI FAC = €20 I think
    IPSA Membership + Insurance = €50
    ~200 Rounds a week @ €12/50 = ~€2500
    Competition Entries = ~€500
    Domestic Trips - 10 x €100 = ~€1000
    Foreign Trips - 2 x €500 = ~€1000
    Random kit/books/dvds/cleaning stuff = ~€500
    Subtotal: ~€5600

Pistol (Rimfire)
    Don't have one and have not really shot any in at least a year so leaving out for this.

Shotgun
    FAC - €38 I think
    ~100 rounds per week @€;10/50 = ~€1000
    ~100 clays per week @€;15/50 = ~€1500
    Random kit/cleaning stuff = ~€100
    Hunting Trip abroad - ~€500
    Subtotal: ~€3100

Total: ~€9000 = ~€180/week
    (Only 50 weeks - no shooting on my summer holidays for two weeks :( )

I've only been sniffing at the smallbore stuff of late but am thinking of getting back into that. A few guys in the club shoot well in it and could do with some competition ;)

I also have a bit of a hankering for getting into some centrefire rifle but am waiting for a range to do it on.

As with everyone else I think it best that the Mrs. doesn't get wind of this :-)

B'Man

Advertisement