Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deal to the extreme !!!!!!

Options
  • 17-05-2008 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi Guys, just recently received my 'stuff' from Deal Extreme..
    For the price, I was not expecting top notch stuff, just tatty stuff, that would work & possibly not have a long life span....
    I know you can say... what can you expect for the price, but just to let you know anyway & I'll include the price for each item converted into €uro
    • USB Charger - for Ipod - MP3/4 - PDA..etc It would not charge my Ipod or Sony MP3/4 Player - €2.75
    • Bike Bell & with compass were detached, bad glue I guess.. - €2.30
    • Mini For iPod On-Screen Display Full Range FM Transmitter - This did not display on the screen, it does work you just have to search the FM band on the radio to find what frequency it is tranmitting on. - €5.05
    • Chronograph Digital Sports Stopwatch (Black) - Plastic on display was bubbled up - €3.55
      Mini 4-inch Metal Tripod did work but it would be hard to make a mess of this. - 95c
    • Universal World Travel AC Adapter with USB Power Port - USB Power port did not charge anything - €9.40

But for the piece de resistance, I went to the Customer service section.
    Which is easy to use put in your order no. the item code in question, an explanation as to what is wrong with the item & a photo(s).I went through the process & received a ticket number. I then proceeded to do the same for the next 4 items. But I was unable to...
    your order is still active and being worked on. You may submit a new request after the current request has been processed.
    Personally, I believe they send seconds & if you complain they have this really cute delaying tactic. 5 of my 6 item had a defect of some sort, so imagine what it is like if you ordered loads....
    The reviews for the items I also feel could be dodgy...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

> USB Charger - for Ipod - MP3/4 - PDA..etc It would not charge my Ipod or Sony MP3/4 Player - €2.75

Probably because some devices (iPods and some Creative Zens for a start) need specific wiring on the USB charger that is not in all generic USB chargers. Something to do with connections and/or pull up/down resistors between the 5V, GND, D+ and D- (data) connections. Basically for some USB charged devices you need to buy a special USB charger and not one of the generic ones which usually have just 5V and GND connected and no connections/resistors between these and D+/-.

> Universal World Travel AC Adapter with USB Power Port - USB Power port did not charge anything - €9.40

Same issue?

For the record I have bought a few small small bits and pieces from them and had no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Also bought some stuff off them and the only problem was a memory card reader wouldn't work with my Vista laptop, worked fine with xp.

Great website imo. Sorry to hear about your problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tall chapy

Thx TM,
    I had an idea that it would be something like this. This is why I am suspicious of the reviews which say 'it charged my Ipod'....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Maybe it can charge some iPod models and not others? I don't know. Did the site claim that it would work for your specific model? Did you ask any questions about such items before committing to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Got plenty of stuff of them and never had a problem. Sorry to hear you had problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Also have bought lots of gadgets off them, had one problem which I was not going to bother reporting but they send out these "how did we perform" emails and I just mentioned that a sim card reader did not work so they sent me out another free of charge no questions asked. Overall I find it a very good site.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

tall chapy wrote: »
    Personally, I believe they send seconds
    Well you are wrong.
    I have been buying off them for 2 years and all the stuff has been perfect.
    You were just unlucky I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

tall chapy wrote: »
    [*]Bike Bell & with compass were detached, bad glue I guess.. - €2.30

I bought 3 of those and all 3 arrived broken. I followed the Customer Service procedure and they sent me 3 more. Two of those arrived broken. They have now shipped me two more. So although the item in question is crap I dont have a problem with their Customer Service.
    I have bought a bunch of other stuff, about 10 or 12 different items all of which have been fine by which I mean they all worked as described and were dirt cheap.
    The stuff they sell is very cheap and cheaply made and I would suspect that anything with a brand name (ie Kingson SD cards) are probably fakes. That doesn't stop me from buying from them although if I had an experience like the OPs I would be well pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tall chapy

TM you could be right, I'm just not sure & no I did not ask before I purchased.
    I actually ordered 8 items - 6 came the other day, another is on it's way & the other is still pending. Another thing I noticed was that the customs value was 45 HKD..:confused:
    * USB Charger - €2.75

It says Ipod on the box.

* Bike Bell & with compass were detached, bad glue I guess.. - €2.30

* Mini For iPod On-Screen Display Full Range FM Transmitter - To be honest it does say "Compatible with all 4G/5G iPod" I have an Ipod touch and I am not sure which generation it comes under - €5.05

* Chronograph Digital Sports Stopwatch (Black) - Plastic on display was bubbled up - €3.55

* Universal World Travel AC Adapter with USB Power Port - It says nothing about this only - €9.40.
    Universal World Travel AC Adapter with USB Power Port

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

should this be in consumer issues and not bargain alerts?

got a few things from them and no problems either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,913 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, definitely Consumer Issues.

Moving there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Once an item wasn't in stock for me ,I forgot about it. Then weeks later I get refunded ,which I think is trustworthy of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

One thing i us deal extreme for is gillette mach 3 razor blades, 100% genuine blades, work about around 6 euro per pack.Great value , never had a problem with them.

Advertisement