Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christian Rock

• 17-05-2008 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

Does anyone like Christian rock, can you recommend any bands ? I need Jesus on my Ipod

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Most bands with a specific religious agenda dominating their lyrics are generally a bit ****e, but if you want to hear some good bands who happen to be christians then check out Trouble or King's X.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

also try.. Iona ....a kind of celtic scots/irish rock band...like their stuff...goood musicians too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Zao aren't bad, neither are Extol. You may want to give them a whirl. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

P.O.D are christian rock apparently..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

P.O.D are christian rock apparently..
    Not according to this site :confused:. http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20America/pod_exposed.htm

Ah, you'll always find some Christian eejits trying to say that such and such isn't Christian, I'd just ignore them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Flyleaf

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Never really had much time for god-rock; It always just seemed that a bunch of Youth Club workers got together and thought "What do kids like now that we can use for our own purposes of indoctrination?".

Having said that I accept that for alot of people religion is a pretty powerful thing and so its unreasonable to expect them not to relate this in their lyrics.

Evanaescence asked for their albums to be removed from Christian stores selling their c.d.'s, although I think that this was through fear of being pigeon holed rather than for reasons relating to moral outlook.

Bob Dylan,who was originally Jewish, had a christian period- but even the pope himself would wince at some of the stuff that was released, it was bloody awful.

Wanna know what the next big thing is going to be ?(if you thought god rock was bad you ain't heard nothing yet) Yes, thats right, God-rap. Duck n' cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Amazing!! You have to laugh.

The only reason I said they were is that, they said they were Christian rock when they first got properly big. Around the Limp Bizkit time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

ZakAttak wrote: »

Wanna know what the next big thing is going to be ?(if you thought god rock was bad you ain't heard nothing yet) Yes, thats right, God-rap. Duck n' cover.

Already been done - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=959PQ7QSMdw

:)

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »

==>Yeah, I knew there was some of it around.

Anyone know where I can get moslem-metal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

XDEATHSTARX
    I ****ing hate christian anything but XdeathstarX might be the closest to listenable Ive found.

pity ya feel that bombidol..personally i hate anti christian anything,,theres no need for it at all...maybe thats why i dread and hate all that awful pathetic nasty metal stuff thats around talk about 1 dimenional garbage ughhhh...each to their own i suppose but i like music with positive sides to it....anything thats "anti" anything is an excuse for hatred and thats a betrayel in my book of everything music and entertainment should be about.....i DO know some christian corny rock was/is awful haha tambourine and acoustic guitar ughhh horrible ,,, but some bands have ability i like that Iona crew great musicians for sure...

anyway enough debate..back to music!

Baggio.....

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned Stryper!

They were called stryper and the wore clothing with stripes!(You see what they did there!? clever fvckers). They were bloody awful but they did songs about god n' boll0cks.

Baggio wrote: »
    maybe thats why i dread and hate all that awful pathetic nasty metal stuff thats around

Ah come on now Baggio, sure there's a few Glen Benton's and the like around, no denying there is that element, but there's really no need to tar the entire genre as anti-christian.

More on topic, there's a lot of christians in rock and metal bands, you might want to take a look at this, so while the bands themselves aren't christian, they might be worth looking into?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ZakAttak wrote: »
    ==>Yeah, I knew there was some of it around.

Anyone know where I can get moslem-metal?

There certainly are plenty of bands with members from countries, where the islamic faith is the predomniant religion, but bands that praise Allah are rare:(

There certainly are plenty of bands with members from countries, where the islamic faith is the predomniant religion, but bands that praise Allah are rare:(

==>Acrassicauda are a heavy metal band from Iraq, I've read about them (they played a gig on a hotel roof the night of the last U.S. invasion), but never got a chance to hear their stuff. I don't think they sing any pro-islam stuff- but I still want to hear them.

pity ya feel that bombidol..personally i hate anti christian anything,,theres no need for it at all...maybe thats why i dread and hate all that awful pathetic nasty metal stuff thats around talk about 1 dimenional garbage ughhhh...each to their own i suppose but i like music with positive sides to it....anything thats "anti" anything is an excuse for hatred and thats a betrayel in my book of everything music and entertainment should be about.....i DO know some christian corny rock was/is awful haha tambourine and acoustic guitar ughhh horrible ,,, but some bands have ability i like that Iona crew great musicians for sure...

anyway enough debate..back to music!

Baggio.....

==>Have you any idea of how many people the church has p1ssed off over the years? From Folk singers to Punk rock music has always been a place where individuals could express their anger and/or frustration with things. Music is not entertainment, its an art form which is something different.

Saying music is entertainment is similar to saying watching 'Gladiators' is the same as attending an orchestra recital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Metal Church are Christian metal afaik

zak thats asssology of the worst kind and infantile garbage at best..music is art/entertainment....why make excuses for someone hating a lifestyle through music???..if it were the other way round youd be up in arms ...and what about who pissedd off who? - many metal/satanic bands have done that to countless folks over the years it aint a question of that..its a question of hating anyone because of who they are in the name of music!. thats inexcusable..
    ..Karl.... yeahh i get ya hey im a mass goer but pulverise my drumset veryy hard rock and am happy,,,by the way see ya in sallys on 1st august amigo ;)

ciao' amigos...Baggio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I think a band called Norma Jean are christian. They're pretty heavy.

See now you are doing a "father trendy" God is cool! I love God but that doesnt stop me ROCKING OUT WITH THE COOL CATS. ugh.

Negative. Its scutter, music is music yeah but "Christian metal" or any Christian music is designed as a deployment method. Its purpose is to turn people to the faith or to announce itself. Nonsense in its purest form. Straight away you pigeon hole yourself to a genre, instead of being a musician you are a preacher with a guitar. The whole christian genre can eat my arse.

bomb that actually just made me laugh umm i dont play guitar but if ya can get me a cheap one off ebay ill preach for ya alll dayy and all night hahhhaa

never mind enough of this waffle...

i've tooo many gigs to get ready for to waste time arguing with wannabe's on here ...and um eat yur ass??..now thats weired hahahahaha

Baggio......

ps : karl we going to see yu on Aug 1st???...no excuses get yur butt down to sallys that night bud

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Probably wouldn't be exactly what you were thinking of in style of music, but then it was the 60's version of "rock".

The Pilgrims

I didnt say YOU were a preacher with a guitar. But a person in a christian rock band is. YOU are father trendy. :)

I sincerly hope you arent calling me a wannabe. If so you have no idea what the story is.

laughs i like being father trendy its a new image behind the monster drumset :D:D

anyway there ya go....ill leave it at that folks,,after all the OP just wants some tunes,,not us ranting on ;)

ciao' amigos,,,,Baggio......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

Ok, I am a christian, with a broad taste in music, and yes I find christian rock a bit hard to take, Bit just to jank a few chains...! Are satanic bands just preachers with guitars also? just preaching another story ! And I have always wondered why Rock bands always have it in for christanity. It is rare to find a band that knocks any other religion. Why is this? Perhaps the "dark side" really has something to fear from Christanity, and that is why it tries to rubbish it so much. ........ and Oh yeah, God Bless !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Thrice
    Emery
    Run Kid Run
    Anberlin
    Kutless

I find cranking up some Hillsong United makes my day go a little better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Is Stephen Spielberg a Nazi because he made a film about Jews in WW2? No. He told a story with some pretty grim imagery, but it doesn't mean he endorses nor committed the acts recreated in the film. It doesn't mean the people who watched the film are bad people either. Do you think George Lucas has danced with Ewoks? No. He used his imagination to tell a story. It doesn't mean the people who enjoy his movies actually believe in the Force, Wookies or Darth Vader. It just means people like to be entertained. Do all Metal bands worship Satan, drink blood from goat skulls and have 666 tattooed on their arses? No. You'll find it's possible for people, even musicians, to create a mood and atmosphere using dark lyrical content which they made up with their own imagination. For example, Tom Araya, singer of such nuggets as Hell Awaits and Angel Of Death is a practising catholic. He realises that it is possible to not literally mean everything you say, that storytelling, fiction and imagination are possible in the 21st century and that not everyone who writes a horror novel thinks all the things in their book are true, nor that everyone who stars in a horror film have killed someone and, yes, not everyone in Metal bands with dark imagery either live or believe in the lyrical content.

Essentially, it is possible to be entertained and enjoy something that isn't smiles and sunshine without being a bad or negative person.

Amazing. What a time to be alive.

Whats Satanic music anyway? According to Christians EVERYTHING not Christian is Satanic. Anywho its IMPOSSIBLE to talk a Christian into common sense so I'm going to leave it at that.

Doc about time you showed up!! hahahah
    agree overall what yu say...theres no absolute all's for this and that...and thats why i think when someone asks for tunes of a certain type...just give em to him/her..no point lectturing ( as one poster did ) about what WE think when all he/she wants is a few band names agree?

bomb again i dont hate all metal and play sunshine music im a hard rock/classic rock fan always have been...i just dont enjoy the overall dark metal sound, or the nasty satanic stuff thats about,,,its just not entertaining for me...........saying that i do like a lot of sabbath always did,,, my 2 bros' both priests by the way were sabbath/rush/tull fans long before i was...so there ya go...we certainly DONT hate anything that aint christian music...indeed many the time the lads and i cringed at that folky/rock stuff christian "rock" bands came pout with...awfull stuff

anyway time for me to go back to cuckoo land..it's nice there ;)

ciao' amigos...Baggio....

zak thats asssology of the worst kind and infantile garbage at best..music is art/entertainment

==>But you accept thats an art-form right?

....why make excuses for someone hating a lifestyle through music???..if it were the other way round youd be up in arms ...and what about who pissedd off who? - many metal/satanic bands have done that to countless folks over the years it aint a question of that..its a question of hating anyone because of who they are in the name of music!. thats inexcusable..

==>Lots of people had christianity forced upon them and theres lots of people who still have emotional scars they recieved when they were children as a result of the religon being shoved down their throats; thats why theres so many people who complain about it.

The Irish catholic church has committed deeds far more evil than anything done by any heavy metal band- christian or otherwise.

its still one opinion against another,...so why bother with it...the op just wanted some names of bands,,,thats all that needs to be said!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

HB are a Finnish Christian Metal band that I came across recently. I think they're worth a listen. Their homepage is here (in Finnish) and their Myspace page is here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20America/devils_music.htm#cr

its a pretty intresting site alright :D

Underoath are a christian band, pretty heavy

Paramore are a band of christians (im going to get shot for mentioning them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Extol are pretty good, not my kinda thing musically but they're good at it.

On the topic of Islamic-orientated rock, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taqwacore

Undergod wrote: »
    Extol are pretty good, not my kinda thing musically but they're good at it.

On the topic of Islamic-orientated rock, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taqwacore

Tanx 4 dat!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Pillar are a Christian rock band also, their newest album is pretty good, but avoid the one before it.

They have some catchy tunes and are not a preachy band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yknaa

Often wondered if Astral Doors were deemed Christian metal. Although titles like 'Evil is forever' makes me think again! How about Cage? newish cd is called Hell Destroyer?

Advertisement