Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a good PC case

• 17-05-2008 11:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭

I'm about to embark on my new build. I've everthing except a pc case. I had originally planned on using my A-ware case but i'll run into problems fitting the GFX cards. Main consideration's for the new case are good airflow and low noise. If it looks nice that'll be a bonus too:p.

Here's the rest of the build:
    Intel QX9770 overclocked ,cooled by Tuniq Tower
    Evga 790i Ultra mobo
    8GB PC1333 DDR3 memory
    2x64GB SSD hard drives
    2x1tb hard drives
    Thermaltake 1.2kw PSU
    2x Evga 9800GX2 cards
    Vista Ultimate 64bit
    Panasonic Bluray burner
    LG bluray/hd-dvd burner
    Hot swap sata device
    Dell 3008WFP and 2408WFP monitors

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

Your gonna be really bottlenecked by that 8gig of ram......need a minimum of 16gb these days......

Couldnt find any gold-plated cases but I did read a good review of the Coolermaster COSMOS S in Custom PC. Has a nice big fan on the inside and lots of room...

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=20658&agid=632

Youll need to get mounts for those SSD drives as far as i know......

Have a look at this too.....might be worth gettin another 2408 for some surround gaming with that amount of power.....its savage for race08!!!

http://www.kegetys.net/SoftTH/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Another 2408 may be on the horizon...have to sell my 2407WFP-HC first;). Don;t need a gold plated case:p. This is my finale.......last top spec system that i'm going to build. Looking to get into a cheaper hobby.......maybe hookers and coke!!!:eek::D:D:D:p

Cheers for the link...i'll take a look now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

If I were building that system I'd probably go for an Antec P190 or maybe something from the Lian Li range.

Just out of interest how much is that build costing you, it must be well over 5k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

go for a tj07 or a tj09.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

If you are remotely interested in overclocking or keeping your components cool-like, who actually wants their graphics card running at 80-90 degrees when 50-60 is possible ...then I cannot recommend the Antec 900 ('nine hundred')highly enough.Its not styled or designed conservatively but it sures does its job v well.People often complain that this case makes your feet/legs cold from the cooling ...

• Advertisement

Cheers for the replies:cool:. Anti, do you have a link for those cases? Preferably somewhere online where I won't be ripped off with shipping costs;):)
    Would the Antec 900 be big enough to house the components and still give decent airflow. Yep...i'll most definitely be overclocking this rig. Won't be water/liquid cooling it however as i've done that before and not too impressed with the results for the outlay......plus i've seen first hand what happens when it all goes wrong.:eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

All this nice equipment can only be installed in a Lian-Li. Only alternative that is as good and as classy as the Li's, is the Silverstone Temjin series.

skuzzb wrote: »
    Your gonna be really bottlenecked by that 8gig of ram......need a minimum of 16gb these days......
    Yeah, I think that too. I mean the system is going to be crawling with *only* 8Gb of memory... :rolleyes:

I presume that the "only 8GB of memory" comment by skuzzb was tongue in cheek. I'll have a look at the Lian Li cases....not allowed to go too big though as my mrs would throw a fit:eek::o:p.
    Thanks again for you imput,guys.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

• Advertisement

That'll be my next case. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

Anti wrote: »
    That'll be my next case. Cheers.

These another , larger version of this case - V2010 , its 80mm higher and 40 £ extra ....I guess you could use extra space as you have WC system............;)

ricka05 wrote: »

Cheers, Ricka....just ordered this along with 2x Samsung 1tb 32mb cache hdd's....can't wait:cool:

now must sell my alienware case :)

Anyone know where i'll get mounts for the SSD drives...it'd be a shame to leave them dangling there in the case:eek::)

TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Get yerself a Shagwagon :D

Now that is cool......i'm a HUGE fan of old vw's.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I got this and It's the best case I've ever had, really looks the business, I put 9 120mm fans in it so it's got a nice humm off of it, puts me to sleep at night

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=347240

Cheer's guys for your recommendations. I went with the Lian Li case as linked by Ricka. This is the only remaining part of the jigsaw.....i've the rest of the build ready and waiting;):D

The case and HDD's arrived today:D.......the case's box took a bit of a battering though,hope the case ain't damaged.:mad:

I'll throw the build together over the long weekend. Happy days:)

Make sure you do some cable tidying though. Nothign worse then a swee component rig to be runied by sheer laziness;......Just like most of my builds :p

• Advertisement

I'm extremely fussy when it come to cable tidiness....will be cabletie-ing and sleeving the wiring. PSU is modular ,which is a bonus.

It'll probably be Sun night before I get to throw this together.....I just hope that the ESB have some reserve power stations on standby for when I hit the power switch:p:cool:

Advertisement