Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullying on Boards?????

Options
  • 18-05-2008 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I'm wondering what's the general consensus on the subject of bullying on this website. Do you find it common on the site? Do you feel yourself subjected to bullying from other users? Are you getting to the stage where you feel uncomfortable posting due to the predictable attitudes and responses you will get from certain posters?

For example I'm constantly harrassed and have the piss taken out of me on the poker forum by certain individuals (I have raised this with the mods). It's been happening for up to 6 months now. Users have been temporarily banned, one has been a constant repeat offender, I've been banned myself for reacting inappropriately on one occasion but sadly it keeps going on and on and I'm absolutely sick to death of it and sometimes I consider quitting posting on this site. I do not troll, don't have a bad attitude and I do explain my opinions but I am an opinionated person, stand for what I believe in and some people use this to make me out as a scapegoat. It appears to me that some users do whatever they can to push the limits without breaking the rules.

I know there is only a certain amount the mods can do but I'm wondering about whether you think users should be banned for general inappropriate attitudes to certain posters which are to the detriment of the poster and the forum while not ''officially'' breaking the rules? Would a complete no tolerance no position be best to clampdown on this behaviour?

Feedback would be gracefully appreciated.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's been happening for up to 6 months now.

Orly?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ah, stavros is back.

/countdown to ban started

*cough*

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Meh, no ones attitude or potential responses would ever stop me from posting. If someone was to get aggressive towards me I would find it funny more than anything. The best is when people freak out with someone for their spelling and they themselves have rubbish spelling or use text speak. That one always makes me laugh.
    Saying that though if someone is constantly harassing a user they should get a slap from the auld ban stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,220 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

well to start answer up for the discrepancies here: what was your last username and why arent you using it. circumventing a ban is a no no, but im bored; so lets hear it before anything gets around to happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You're dead after backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'm absolutely sick to death of it and sometimes I consider quitting posting on this site.

On this point - you've been previously banned. It is no longer your choice whether you post on this site, it is out of your hands.

why were they banned tho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In all serious though, you need links to assert your claims. Post a few links showcasing this bullying, and we'll take a look at them and pass our opinion. It'd be a naive individual to think that bullying isn't present on boards to a limited extent, but by and large I think the community works rather well and in most cases an element of self denial regarding ones own behavior invariably is the root of these claims.

But yeah, links first, judgment later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

well you didn't get banned for no reason, you obviously done soemthing wrong to get a ban.

It isn't always easy for the mods to stop bitch fights. When someone is behind the keyboard, they often use their wall as an oppurtunity to bully people... happens everywhere. I think Boards.ie would have a much lowe rate of cyberbullying than anyone else, and yes, it is cyberbullying, not bullying.

So, yah, why were you banned, and by who? Do you accept you're wrong, or are you still fighting the power?

are you complaining about bullying because you believe the person who banned you, was bullying you...

Meh, no ones atittude or potential responses would ever stop me from posting. If someone was to get agressive towards me I would find it funny more than anything. The best is when people freak out with someone for there spelling and they themsleves have rubbish speling or use text speak. That one always makes me laugh.
    Saying that though if someone is constantly harassing a user they should get a slap from the auld ban stick.
    Yah, so much for good spelling AllmightyCushon... How would you feel if I spelt you're username wrong? ...yah, you'd be upset too! Go correct your spelling mistakes!
    Haha, made you look... or least you were going to look, so HA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Ive witnessed the cyberbullying all right, i would have joined in myself only I was scared as there was a really big crowd online at the time and i didnt like their usernames, come from a bad area you see.

Ive witnessed the cyberbullying all right, i would have joined in myself only I was scared as there was a really big crowd online at the time and i didnt like their usernames, come from a bad area you see.
    yah, see what yah mean there m8, last person who got thick with me, I just jumped over the keyboard, and smashed his screen into little bits.... then he started whinging, so i had to tell him to shut up...hasn't got thick with me since though... :D

nevf wrote: »
    yah, see what yah mean there m8, last person who got thick with me, I just jumped over the keyboard, and smashed his screen into little bits.... then he started whinging, so i had to tell him to shut up...hasn't got thick with me since though... :D

Ive a feeling you are being disingenuous with your comments, don't you know that the internets is a serious bizness?

Ive a feeling you are being disingenuous with your comments, don't you know that the internets is a serious bizness?
    But every serious business has to have their own mafia backing them up, right? ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Luckystavros signed up after a contentious thread deliberately to troll and was banned.

End of.

5starpool wrote: »
    Luckystavros signed up after a contentious thread deliberately to troll and was banned.

End of.

not end of. link first please.

Overheal wrote: »
    not end of. link first please.

QFT, 5starpool has had it in for him since day 1 and is one of the main instigators of the abuse imo. The fact he signed up during a controversial time is just timing imo.

Most of his posts were deleted or in deleted threads. An smod/admin is welcome to review if they wish. He only has a few posts. One example (deleted post) is this:

A contentious thread where a dublin regular player is outed as owing a load of money to someone and not paying back, this luckystavros posts pretending to be this guy (I know he isn't) and talking crap. Not crap definding this person, just crap like looking to be staked.

Another one he started was in the strategy section about good folds when he shown a Hand History where 'he' folded AA preflop, obviously a troll thread especially given context. If you want to see the quality of his posts then read the non deleted ones.

QFT, 5starpool has had it in for him since day 1 and is one of the main instigators of the abuse imo. The fact he signed up during a controversial time is just timing imo.

Talking of trolls Joe......

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Yup, troll.

Here's another deleted thread started by him for the admins/smods to look at should they like to see more evidence.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055291543

(I'll just say he didn't ask my permission to start that thread.)

[for poker forum readers: it was a deconstruction thread and some stupid comments about TV etc.]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

In fairness, Ste / 5Star, I don't think anyone is taking him the slightest bit seriously, nor have they been since Post 1.

A touch of troll-baiting perhaps ... oops, does that qualify as cyberbullying?! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

OP, if you have a serious interest in posting on boards then you haven't gone about it the right way. You have already been sitebanned so maybe you haven't learned your lesson?

If you truly feel hard done by then you'll need to explain with specific detail (dates, threads, fora etc) what the problem is, otherwise you're still trolling and you can stay gone.

In fairness, Ste / 5Star, I don't think anyone is taking him the slightest bit seriously, nor have they been since Post 1.

A touch of troll-baiting perhaps ... oops, does that qualify as cyberbullying?! :o
    Quite simply, yes. You are an obnoxious little cyber bully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 LCPL SWOFFORD

sparks is a cyber bully

if you dont agree with what he says in the shooting forum or indeed what his little cronies say you get infraction pms off him

cudent be arsed posting examples but lets say the shooting forum is ****e because of him

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

sparks is a cyber bully

if you dont agree with what he says in the shooting forum or indeed what his little cronies say you get infraction pms off him

cudent be arsed posting examples but lets say the shooting forum is ****e because of him

Hmm, can't remember what you posted that might have gotten up his nose, so you should probably give an example or not throw wild accusations around.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I've only noticed Mods getting bullied. But then I've led a sheltered life.

shut up watty :mad: back in your corner.

hi btw not seen you round; sheltered indeed

bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Quiet Yankee or you'll get such a tubing :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Yes imo there is alot of bulling going on.Not just from the mods but a large measure from the ops and private messages im subject to a load of hassle eg. Out of one ear through the other.
    As PMs are private but i feel that the mods can see our PMs which i consider PMs are not private imo.
    To much jelously is among these forum members eg.One member replys to a post and the other poster will try to do better.
    I get alot of abuse on the PM side which i try to ignore but no success.
    It drives me mad that they get away with it.
    As for a differant topic (Trolling!),i get loads of accusations of it and i feel some members dont understand what it means.
    Troll to me is the form of start of bullying.
    Imagine if i called some a troll for no reason for it they will feel upset and bullied imo.
    There should be some form of system to put the bullys away for good ,its not good for all of us getting bullied unless they can prove it.
    I know not every mod can read everyones post as it would be imposible to look up as thousands are posting every hour!
    So if any member feels they are bullied should press the red triangle button and hope it will get sorted before it gets out of hand.
    Just one more thing i have sent pms to sort out out problems but the ones who have put them on the ignore list is stupid.
    EG: "ive put you in my ignore list so you cant pm me na na na!" Its so damn annoying!

Advertisement