Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

want to buy a Road bike with Disc brake(Cyclo cross)

Options
  • 18-05-2008 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi ppl. I would like to buy a nice road bike which has disc brakes. i dont really like all caliper and disk brakes can be great if it rains a lot. please mention the brand names and models. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

disc brakes a extremely unusual on road bikes (even cyclocross) so if you insist on having them you won't have many options. ain't gonna be cheap neither. if you are prepared to go for a more hybrid style bike you would have choice, but with flat bars etc.

link
    link

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

According to Wikipedia at least, disc brakes are in fact forbidden in UCI sanctioned cyclo-cross races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Its not cross...... but still. Drool...........

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/diem-drop-disc-08-28049

Comes in flatbar version called the diem ice as well. I want one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

neilled wrote: »
    Its not cross...... but still. Drool...........

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/diem-drop-disc-08-28049

Comes in flatbar version called the diem ice as well. I want one.
    sweet.

There's a pic of the flat bar here

edit: It gets better, ........Diem black

Diem%20Black.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That Orbea is the only one I'm aware of.

To be honest, I think disc brakes on a road bike are a bit of overkill. I've never had any trouble braking with caliper brakes. If you've trouble braking in the rain, maybe first try switching your pads to Kool Stop salmon, which are designed for wet weather riding. I've been using them for a good while now and find them to be very good. The softer compound they use means they wear out quicker, but I find its worth it for the Irish weather.

Interestingly enough, Leonard Zinn at Velonews recently put up a piece asking if disc brakes would be the next big thing on road bikes. There's some reader reaction here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SYSTEM_ERROR

thanks for the responses ;)

1. I'm NOT a pro racer and I wouldn't go into road racing at the moment. Basically i want to buy lightweight racing bike that comes with disc brakes :p

cause i cycle a lot and the weather changes regularly. i know many MTBs have disc brakes but i don't even need MTB. I'm looking at Cannondale Cyclocross 7 (AKA XR7) :p but it seems hard find a used one cheaper:o.

oh and I'm willing to spend 300 euro MAX :D

2. Does anyone know someone who wants to sell cheaper used road bike?

it can be all caliper. just let me know if u got something to shout:D

any help will be much appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

el tonto wrote: »
    That Orbea is the only one I'm aware of.

To be honest, I think disc brakes on a road bike are a bit of overkill. I've never had any trouble braking with caliper brakes. If you've trouble braking in the rain, maybe first try switching your pads to Kool Stop salmon, which are designed for wet weather riding. I've been using them for a good while now and find them to be very good. The softer compound they use means they wear out quicker, but I find its worth it for the Irish weather.

Interestingly enough, Leonard Zinn at Velonews recently put up a piece asking if disc brakes would be the next big thing on road bikes. There's some reader reaction here.

Trek's portland has been out for a bit as well. I notice its disappeared from most markets outside the USA since last year :(

trek-portland_h.jpg

If i was to buy another bike to compliment my 7.5fx it'd be either of those two (diem or portland)but I'd have to really improve my fitness levels before I would buy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Calipers work _extremely_ well. Throw you over the handlebars well. You honestly don't need discs on the road.

Cantilevers with STI on cross bikes however are in my experience absolutely horrible (I am looking at replacing with Mini-Vs at the moment.)

Advertisement