Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test for people that think they have having Torrents throttled

Options
  • 18-05-2008 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

Okey doke, heres the deal. I downloaded Trackmania nations forever ( a free racing game ) a few days ago. When I go to try and connect to a server I get an error message , this happens 4 or 5 more times till I go and google the error message. Well it turns out that Trackmania uses the same ports as ports that would be considered likely for p2p traffic, so players that have ISP's that throttle/block those ports are having trouble connecting to servers if they can even do it at all.

The game is not that big only about 500 MB. If you want to download it and see if you can connect to servers that would be cool.

I have forwarded the correct ports for this game and everything but even then it takes looking at alot of servers before I can connect to one. I am on NTL 6Mb connection and am using a D-link DGL 4300 router.

Some download links for it can be found here

http://www.trackmania.com/en/index.php?lang=en&rub=downloads_info&id=17

If it turns out that alot of us cannot connect to servers or are having massive trouble doing so, then it means that either your Router is not configured correctly ( ports forwarded ) or the ISP is throttling ports ( if there are many people from the same ISP ) .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

you can configure torrents for any ports

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Yes you can , but the ports that trackmania use's are ports that are widely used ( and throttled ) because of torrents.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

or you can read this article from PCWorld Australia, and try these tools to determine if you're being throttled:
    Glasnost - Web-based tool - Servers are busy at the moment due to being Slashdotted.
    PCapDiff - Linux only tool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

or you can read this article from PCWorld Australia, and try these tools to determine if you're being throttled:
    Glasnost - Web-based tool - Servers are busy at the moment due to being Slashdotted.
    PCapDiff - Linux only tool

That's a good find, missed that one on SlashDot myself.

I'm having trouble running the torrent checker on their site but I'll keep trying.

I did manage to run the other test and the results at least for my IBB connection according to the test run at roughly 3am are...

Downstream Bandwidth: 3026 Kbps
    Downstream Queue: 216 ms
    Upstream Bandwidth: >=10 Mbps

---

Wonder would it be a good thing to have a stickied thread on this with people posting results both on their actual connection plus bittorrent results ?

There was a thread about that site posted already in these forums not too long ago. Unfortunatly it would appear to constantly be busy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 j3wish

fantastic game btw:D

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

Yeah just started playing and its great and joining servers runs smoothly for me then again I know from the glasnost torrent test that my ISP does not throttle

Adriatic wrote: »
    Yeah just started playing and its great and joining servers runs smoothly for me then again I know from the glasnost torrent test that my ISP does not throttle

Just wondering which ISP you are with ??

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

My ISP is Net1 who provide fixed wireless, very good I have to say. They're all I can get, DSL isn't possible for menet1p2ptestdetailedjl6.jpg

Advertisement