Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Polish driving licence Q.

Options
  • 18-05-2008 8:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

A simple one lads.

A Polish friend of mine was wondering could she legally drive a car here using her Polish driving licence?.

I'm inclined to think the answer is a YES?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yes, it's an EU licence so it's good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Does it not have to be transferred over for an Irish one after x (6 ?) number of months?

I had to have mine done (not an EU license however). Simply sent in mine and they sent me an Irish one.

If you are on temporary visit, defined as less than 12 months then you do not need to exchange for an Irish licence.

If you are going to be resident, defined as 12 months plus then you do need to.

Tbh, I don't realy see the need, there are thousands of drivers in Ireland on foreign licenses here, mainly from the UK and they have no problems

Info here. I tell ya, you can bash the government all you want but the Citizen Information service then give in offices, the helpline and this website is fantastic!
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

micmclo wrote: »
    If you are on temporary visit, defined as less than 12 months then you do not need to exchange for an Irish licence.

If you are going to be resident, defined as 12 months plus then you do need to.

Tbh, I don't realy see the need, there are thousands of drivers in Ireland on foreign licenses here, mainly from the UK and they have no problems

Info here. I tell ya, you can bash the government all you want but the Citizen Information service then give in offices, the helpline and this website is fantastic!
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit

The website may be great ...the interpretation of it's contents still causes some difficulty :D

The passage you linked says that if your licence is NOT from an EU country or from one of those listed then you have to exchange it for an Irish one after max 12 months.

In other words ...if you have an EU licence, you can keep on using it here, no need to change.
    It is possible to exchange a driving licence issued by an EU or EEA Member State for a full Irish driving licence.

possible ...not mandatory :D

Hey, I didn't read the full thing, that's for the OP to do :)

Thanks for clearing it. This Polish person can keep their licence, hurray for them!

Now I'll just sit back and wait for my credit card licence I was promised........around 2004. I'm expecting it anyday now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

you can drive in Ireland for the duration of your temporary visit. (A temporary visit is regarded as a period not exceeding 12 months)

On a non-Polish but related note..Going from that site it says US licenses are ok for 12 months use here, would that apply for Irish citizens as well as Americans? ie, if someone was to obtain an American license while theyre over there could they then drive around on it here for a year when they come back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

the only problem I can see is that polish driving license is in french :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    Seems odd? Anyway, if it's a standard pink EU model licence then it could be in Klingon or Urdu for all it matters. The numbered fields (name, address, date of issue etc.) are all the exactly the same wherever the licence was issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

micmclo wrote: »
    Now I'll just sit back and wait for my credit card licence I was promised........around 2004. I'm expecting it anyday now ;)
    I'm guessing that when the EU announced the introduction (in 2006) of proper EU licences for 2012, that any plans to introduce a specific credit card licence for Ireland were shelved. Anyway, I don't see what all the fuss is about .. my paper licence is perfectly OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭barthek

where did you get this one from ?

on a side note - i think EU driving licenses are standardized so have numbered entries that are easily recognizable ? And there are also neat pictures of the vehicles that can be driven with it so ... ;)
    fl4pj4ck wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

hmm she has 1 year leisence if its a Full polish leisence right ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭barthek

yep,
    there's no notion of prov license in Poland yet :)
    S.I.R wrote: »
    hmm she has 1 year leisence if its a Full polish leisence right ??

Advertisement