Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

travelling light

• 18-05-2008 9:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm traveling to South America in a week for three months. Based on advice here I\m traveling pretty light. The biggest weight by far is my trekking boots that I bought in Aldi.

I'm doing the inca trail in August, and before that I'll be travelling around Argentina, chile, boliva, brazil etc. Do you think I'll need the boots, or would runners or some lighter shoes be a better bet?

Thanks,
    M

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

If you have dodgy ankles at all, bring the boots. It's a long old trek, and you don't want to have ankle problems, or slip. There are a lot of stone steps, and if it rains, they're trecherous! Some of the people in our group did it in runners, but I'm so glad I lugged my boots over, it wasn't worth the possible blisters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

If they are big heavy boots i wouldn't bother with them. The weight of them on your feet will tire you. I've seen people changing foorwear along the way. I just bought a pair of runner type things over there for less than 10 euros. I just made sure they looked like they had good traction. It doesn't make sense to bring big hiking boots for the entire 90 odd days and only use them for four days. I seen locals use this shoes that were made from car tyres. Supposedly one of the best things for hiking because car tyres are designed to give great traction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

great, was thinking of just using runners, but I was afraid it was a bad idea. Thanks for the advice again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

You could do the Inca trail in a pair of runners alright but they can be less grippy, especially on wet days. I did the Annapurna trail in Nepal in runners for exactly the same reasons as you ( not wanting to lug boots around with me ) but on the second to last day I slipped on a mossy rock. No major damage, just a bleeding knee and elbow but if it happened me in another part of the trail I could've been going over the edge.

That said some ppl are more sure footed than others, a mate of mine did the Tiger Leaping Gorge trek in China wearing a pair of flip flops and you just knew by the confidence oozing from this lad when he treked that he wasn't going to slip, and he didnt.

Advertisement