Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what makes us different ??

• 18-05-2008 9:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭

ok i know we are great . but i hear all this about dublin is the capital and cork is the peoples republic and now galway is the third city, and limerick is ...ehh limerick .... so my question is what makes us different ?... what do we have that they dont?.......... what makes us ...DEISE BHOY?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Blaas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Factory-town mentality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Nolanger wrote: »
    Factory-town mentality?
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Stinger-bar

I live here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

we don,t go around boasting like other cities that we,re the biggest or the best!!!! i think the reason why galway is now the third or whatever position it is city wise is because we have one of its "natives" living here putting a stop to our cities developments i don,t need to name names!!!otherwise we,d be ahead of everyone with major expansion of our city with retail developments and actually become a great city to shop in

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

surely you don't go around boasting that you're the biggest and the best because you're quite clearly neither.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

we have that mythical beast.............john mullane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

c - 13 wrote: »
    Blaas

Its deffo blaas

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

surely you don't go around boasting that you're the biggest and the best because you're quite clearly neither.

Coming from the chap from Carlow? The hole of Ireland? Ha.

Troll somewhere else please.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

we don,t go around boasting like other cities that we,re the biggest or the best!!!!

...errr alot of waterford people start a argument with Kilkenny folk over the whole city/town thing anychance you get and it always comes down to Waterford is bigger/better in Waterford people's eye's....lets face it....you do boast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Only good thing about waterford is the countryside spoilt with beaches,the rest is pretty rubbish to be honest ,but maybe that will change in the future.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

<snip - removed deleted post quote>

hey now, just cos ya ruled scotland with an iron fist doesnt mean you can slag off our black and amber cousins(absolutely woeful jersey by the way)

i myself have a dual passport , im deise and amber handy when WE win the all ireland

back on topic , what makes us different is that in waterford we have a cold meat called red lead (luncheon) and now the red dye they use is banned something to do with E.U regulations (back off brussels)so its now just called "lead" i love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Waterford is the oldest city in Ireland.

What makes Waterford and Waterford people different? Would it be their optimism that they will win the All Ireland considering they haven't had much success apart from a few Munster Final wins? The amount of support the hurling and gaelic footballers get.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Anti KK jibes deleted. Its a forum on Waterford City and the topic isnt about KK or any where else. Thanks.

in waterford the moderators have no sense of humour. i wont name names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jdb66

Sully wrote: »
    Anti KK jibes deleted. Its a forum on Waterford City and the topic isnt about KK or any where else. Thanks.

So why did you bring Carlow into it?:p

we dont go shopping
    we do the messages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

we don,t go around boasting like other cities that we,re the biggest or the best!!!! i think the reason why galway is now the third or whatever position it is city wise is because we have one of its "natives" living here putting a stop to our cities developments i don,t need to name names!!!otherwise we,d be ahead of everyone with major expansion of our city with retail developments and actually become a great city to shop in

Hardly think he is the total downfall of the city, whiner that he is, the above seems to be a very parochial statement which if is the outlook of the city well !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

The clannishness, dismal, black sense of humour, pervading sense of failure, and the cynical, anti-authoritarian word view leads to a great session/drinking culture.

• Advertisement

longshanks wrote: »
    in waterford the moderators have no sense of humour. i wont name names.

You know where the Feedback Forum is, dont you? Go use it to voice your complaint. Your Anit KK jibes (funny or not) will be deleted alongside others to prevent a flame war. If you want to crack jokes, go to the Humour Forum. End of discussion .
    jdb66 wrote: »
    So why did you bring Carlow into it?:p

I dont appreciate anyone coming in here trolling. The comments were in response to his comments about Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

I think a lot of people see Waterford as an urban centre that hasn't lost it's connection with the old culture in the mass-americanisation that was the Celtic Tiger.

And then there's the others, who just think it's a hole. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭joe25

Sully wrote: »
    Coming from the chap from Carlow? The hole of Ireland? Ha.

Anti KK remarks removed.What about Anti Carlow?

*Blaas makes use different

*Sticking to topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

rasper wrote: »
    Hardly think he is the total downfall of the city, whiner that he is, the above seems to be a very parochial statement which if is the outlook of the city well !!!
    well he is behind any objection to developments in the city thus the city is,nt expanding with major developments like new shopping centres and revamp of the train station that is badly needed for our city to compete with other fast expanding cities like limerick and galway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Carlow is a fine town, leave it out.

Ya wanna start an inter-county war, bring all your men, we'll bring our sheep :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Local Parish mentality. You don't see that in the other cities.

Delusions of grandeur.

Blaas

Pig-ignorant driving you wouldn't even see in inner-city Dublin/Cork!

Good shopping city

People are a little dismal, air of missed opportunity or something???!!

4 years in Waterford, never liked it much, something missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 **magnolia**

One of the last places that people are genuinely friendly and not too stuck up to be nice.

Im a newcomer (just over a year) and plan on staying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭miss deise

merlante wrote: »
    The clannishness, dismal, black sense of humour, pervading sense of failure, and the cynical, anti-authoritarian word view leads to a great session/drinking culture.

Well!! I'm new to boards, long time reader, newish poster. Would like to say I agree with the above, I have always felt that way and love that about Waterford... we have no feeling of pretentiousness or self importance. We are what we are and we can live with it and joke about it which is deadly. Also, what makes us different is our accent. Lived in Dublin for 4 years and never lost it....

Best words to say in a girlie waterford accent are... " Voucher" and "Jewellers"... (harken back to the gift grub that took the p**s out of Des Bishop workin in Abrakebabra.. "Well, Boy!")

Anyone who has a half way decent Waterford accent will be saying those 2 words to themselves, and p***ing themselves.. Honestly, sometimes I put on the accent worse than it is cos I love it so much..

miss deise wrote: »

Best words to say in a girlie waterford accent are... " Voucher" and "Jewellers"... (harken back to the gift grub that took the p**s out of Des Bishop workin in Abrakebabra.. "Well, Boy!")

thats fuhckin class girl, you and this city are going to get on well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

miss deise wrote: »

Oh yeah! He used it as an element for the rap. That was brilliant! Well boy! W-w-w-well boy!

Those two words are class in a girlie blaa accent... try also "Tuesday" and "D'ya want sauwce on yer buuur-ger?"

Advertisement