Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US copy of Photoshop CS3

Options
  • 18-05-2008 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was looking on the adobe website at pricing for photoshop cs3, and seeing that it costs alot less in the US than in Europe, I was thinking of asking a mate over there to pick me up a copy and bring it over here. Has anyone here tried this ? Would it work, or would it refuse to install on a Mac with the locale set to Europe/Ireland ? Is it technically illegal ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

i'm sure there is smallprint somewhere within the terms stating you should buy from an authorised distributor in your country of use......but whether that constitutes 'illegal' i'm not sure.
    all I can say to you is on my copy of CS3 it asks for country...etc when installing - followed by serial number. I can't see there being a problem.
    If I was in your shoes and the savings were great then get a copy from the US and give it a go. If it wont work contact Adobe, explain a 'friend' bought it for you as a gift and I'm sure they will assist. At the very least you could offer to pay the difference and get the country specific copy (if it actually exists which I dont think it does!)

best of luck!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

AFAIK its not region locked. Europe has long subsidised the US in terms of pricing and it is difficult to get a US copy shipped here but not illegal.
    There is also an eductional edition for a further reduced price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭snellers

There are many different ways you can qualify for educational as well, not simply just 'being at school' ....definately worth checking to see if you qualify!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

as far as I know it is locked and will refuse to install as it trys to determine IP / country (but don't hold me to that) you should be able to use a proxy to get around that though.

There was a few similar posts over on creative ireland about it a while back

Getting CS3 WEB Premium in the US would save you about 912 EUR compared to buying it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭SingingCherry

Yes, I have done this and yes it is fine. It is not region locked at all. I did this at christmas with creative suite 3 and it works perfectly on my Irish bought Mac. Have him pick it up for you and enjoy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement