Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiling chicken?

• 18-05-2008 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have 2 chicken breast fillets and I just want the lean white chicken meat, but don't want to roast it, so am trying to think of the best way round putting it in the oven.

Any ideas on what I should do? Boil it, and if so how, and for how long?

Thanks,

Smiler

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Stir fry it, steam it, grill it, fry it...

Boiling chicken makes it really watery in my opinion, and I don't really like it. If you're doing it though, I'd imagine it'd need about 30 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It'd take around 30 minutes, and for flavour I'd add roughly chopped carrot, onion and celery to the water.
    If you have a roasting bag you could put them in that, tie it off low down and place it in boiling water for the same amount of time. That way you'd keep the flavour because they cook in their own juices.. I've done it with turkey breasts in a clean supermarket bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Why not just cover it in tin foil and put it in the oven?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ramiriquez

I'd boil it in some nice vegetable soup, with spuds, onions, carrots and parsnips.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Ramiriquez wrote: »
    I'd boil it in some nice vegetable soup, with spuds, onions, carrots and parsnips.

Yes, and add a chicken stock cube, a handful of barley or lentils, salt and pepper and a pinch of mixed herbs - and after around an hour you'll have yummy chicken stew :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ramiriquez

Yes, and add a chicken stock cube, a handful of barley or lentils, salt and pepper and a pinch of mixed herbs - and after around an hour you'll have yummy chicken stew :)

Sounds good, methinks do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭smiler26

:DThanks everyone! It's all in the pot now, so will wait and see.

The smell is divine already tho ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Butterfly the fillets and then just grill them, easy peasy, and once you get the grill as hot as possible they will cook in about 3 minutes each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭spfeno

Stick them under a hot grill for 3 minutes each side. Take them out when done and leave to cool. When cool put them on a plate and stick them in the fridge.

Get two juicy fillet steaks and fry them 'till medium rare ................

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,002 ✭✭✭DenMan

Boiling really is the best way to cook chicken. It needs at least 35-40 mins to cook through thoroughly. Awesome for preparing it to go on a BBQ. The marinade absorbs right through the meat. Enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I did this last night for tonight's dinner (always prefer stew on the second day), July and I'm having stew :eek:

I did this last night for tonight's dinner (always prefer stew on the second day), July and I'm having stew :eek:

Isn't it tragic? We're still eating things like shepherd's pie too - normally I wouldn't be able to think of stuff like that in the summer :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It cooks fine & quick in a pressure cooker. I have done an entire chicken in a pressure cooker.

You can strip the chicken afterwards easily removing the fat & skin. Then it shreds up easily, you can then freeze it and the high water content makes it good for reheating/thawing in a microwave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I wouldn't boil chicken at all.

Another option is braising. I actually don't like chicken fillets as much as legs. Much tastier.

Something I like doing with a whole chicken is a Spanish dish: the chicken is cooked in a wide, flat cast-iron casserole. Basically, you throw in a load of olive oil, a sliced onion, sliced green pepper, peeled and seeded tomato quarters, pine nuts, salt, pepper, a bay leaf, bouquet garni. Mix around with the chicken to cover it with the veg. Throw in maybe half-a-cup of chicken stock, cover and throw in the oven. After 20 minutes throw in a glass or so of white wine and leave it for 90 minutes. Mix around once or twice. Serve with some tasty veg.

Another alternative (absolutely delicious) is a Thai green curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

the smell of chicken boiling makes me wanna puke

• Registered Users Posts: 8,002 ✭✭✭DenMan

Beerlao wrote: »
    the smell of chicken boiling makes me wanna puke

Nullify it with beer, Beerlao.

Advertisement