Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 data modem through router for house wifi? - Possible?

Options
  • 18-05-2008 3:10pm

Hi All

I have a 3 mobile data modem....not the usb stick one, the larger one.

I have an iPhone, and I use irish broadband for my wifi so I can keep my iphone up to date and all that!

Is there any way of being able to use the 3 modem through a router so I can use the 3 modem over wifi....I notice one of the usb leads that came with the 3 modem has an extra usb plug...does this have anything to do with it.

Reason being, Irish bb is slow and I dont really want to have 2 bb conections, tis a waste of money, but I need wifi access for the iPhone, and Meteor charge WAY too much for data.

Anyone got any ideas or links to walk through's or anything?

Thanks a mill for your help!

Spyguy

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I think this might be what you're looking for:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2910.html

Sweet, thanks jayteecork!

You know the way you have to dial up using that program and all that jazz on your laptop....
    Well how would you do this through a router?

Anyone got any ideas?

Sick of payin for 2 bb connections..and irish BB are too slow anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Or this

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Or this

Cheers deadl0ck!

This seems more like it ! So even though I have to do the whole dial up type thing every time I connect, it should allow me to do this with this router?

Lovely Jubly!

• Advertisement

Not sure what you mean by "the whole dialup thing"....

As far as I know you should be able to set all the required settings inthe router and then it should connect for you.

That router (Davado UMR) isn't out yet. It should be out next week. I've ordered one and I'll report back on it when I get it and set it up (I'm gonna be using it with O2 mobile Broadband)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Have they not sent yours out yet deadl0ck? Thought the first lot would go out on the 15th, although I notice that's been scrubbed and replaced with a more generic "May".

No - not yet.
    They are keeping people up to date on the forums onInfofrenda :
    I'm sorry for the long wait, but we can now see the light at the end of the tunnel! Introducing a new product in volumes is always a challenge, and it's never a question of IF it'll come out, but rather; WHEN!

And WHEN is very close now! We shall be receiving in our first volume batch of the UMR early next week, and I shall see to it that they're sent express onwards to Infoferenda so that you, our common customers, will have them without any further delay.

Not sure what you mean by "the whole dialup thing"....

As far as I know you should be able to set all the required settings inthe router and then it should connect for you.

That router (Davado UMR) isn't out yet. It should be out next week. I've ordered one and I'll report back on it when I get it and set it up (I'm gonna be using it with O2 mobile Broadband)

Do you know the application you use, and you click connect and all that? Thats what I mean by dial up...it doesnt connect itself when you plug in, you need to run this and click connect and all that...does that make sense?
    See screenshot uploaded!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Yes, this should be handled by the software on the router. I would imagine it has a web interface for entering isp data, much like the way a wireless ADSL router allows you to enter PPP information. I think the settings you need can be found in a few other threads here (search for 3 ireland APN)

• Advertisement

Hey Dreadlock

Did you get that router yet,

Does it work with your 02 mobilbe broadband?

Cheers
    Spy

Still haven't got it - it was slightly delayed. I'm getting it this week

I'll keep you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

I've ordered one as well to use with my 3 USB modem...
    Hopefully I can site it upstairs in my house where the signal's better as I live in a wooded area, and then link my PC and laptop wirelessly to the router...

Fingers crossed

My Davado UMR was shipped today - I'll keep y'all posted :)

mine arrived this morning.... looks the business, but I can't use it yet as it's shipped with a continental 2 pin plug so I need to buy a travel adaptor for it.

Wish they'd pointed that out....

I still haven't got mine - Grrrr....

Something about it being delayed on the tracking link

When did you order yours ?

19th May - the day after they said it would become available...

ETA - got hold of an adaptor and set it up.

Initial impressions - top marks for ease of use - instruction manual straightforward and comprehensive.
    Seem to be getting a lot faster speed, but I have sited the router at the top of the house.
    Hope yours arrives soon

They said mine was delayed due to a day off in Sweden - very annoying seeing as you have got yours alreaday.

What operator are you with ?

the dreaded "3" *shudder*

the dreaded "3" *shudder*

So does yours work with the 3 data modem (huawei) ?

• Advertisement

aye - it works absolutely fine...(at the moment ;))

aye - it works absolutely fine...(at the moment ;))

Yay !!! Brilliant, cheers

Advertisement