Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confusion regarding mature student fees

Options
  • 18-05-2008 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi Im actually writing this on behalf of my auntie who lives in the U.S. She asked me to look into the potential cost of her doing a masters and whether she would be entitled to free fees...from what I can gather this only applies to first-timers, whereas she already has a degree.

The thing is she is Irish but married an american, their marriage has recently broken up and shes interested in moving back and perhaps persuing something to do with human resources, english lit or even accounting.

If anyone has any information regarding the costs or could point me to some useful links I'd be much obliged.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Myth should be able to help you here but in the meantime, have a look at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Seonad

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

This is from Tallaght IT website
    1. Free' Fees - (Applies to Undergraduate full-time programmes ).
    The tuition fee is paid by the Irish Exchequer. The student pays a student services fee, currently €825. If a student is awarded a Local Authority grant the student services fee will be paid by Local Authority.
    • Conditions:
      Student must hold EU nationality * or refugee status in Ireland
    • Student must have been resident in an EU Member State for three of the five years prior to entry
    • Other criteria apply, e.g. no previous 3rd level attendance within the EU.
    • EU nationality is confirmed by one of the following:
      A passport ; A national identity card ; An Irish birth certificate*
      * A birth certificate from another EU state does not suffice as it does not always confer citizenship rights on the holder. If in doubt, check with the embassy of the State concerned.
      * Note 1: -Students must hold EU nationality at commencement of studies as fee-paying status cannot subsequently be changed.
    Not good however this may apply
    EU fees may apply for students born in Ireland who do not meet the normal residency requirements but who received all their primary and secondary education in Ireland and have no previous third level attendance
    Non EU fees are more than three times the EU fees!

I am sure these requirements apply to all educational establishments funded by the Department of Education (dont quote me!).

Advertisement