Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are laptops essential?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

<-- CS

Couldn't live without one.

friend of mine just finished CS, he rarely used his laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

I'm doing Arts (History & Politics) and I'd agree that laptops can be very helpful, but aren't essential. I couldn't type an essay in one of the computer rooms, plus with a laptop you can do the essay whenever suits. But none of that makes it absolutely essential.

I'd be surprised if lecturers minded getting recorded. I was going to record lectures last semester on my mp3 player; but around October it broke, so that plan went out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mo-me-mi

i think a laptop is pretty essential, i dont think i would not have got through 1st year without one, especially if you live on campus might aswel avail of the free broadband youre getting..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

ferdi wrote: »
    friend of mine just finished CS, he rarely used his laptop.

I don't know about everyone else, but I know a lot would agree with me on this. The resolution on the monitors in the computer labs just aren't big enough to fit everything you need on the screen.

And I've heard laptops are essential for the new first years doing CS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

I don't know about everyone else, but I know a lot would agree with me on this. The resolution on the monitors in the computer labs just aren't big enough to fit everything you need on the screen.

And I've heard laptops are essential for the new first years doing CS

?? and you think your gonna get more on a laptop monitor?

All i can say is that my friend who just completed 4 years of compuer science rarely used his laptop and stuck instead to his home PC and college machines.

Personally i think a lot of people like having a laptop (makes them feel cool and important) and like to justify having one (even though no justification is needed) by convincing themselves and everyone else that they are essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

ferdi wrote: »
    Personally i think a lot of people like having a laptop (makes them feel cool and important) and like to justify having one (even though no justification is needed) by convincing themselves and everyone else that they are essential.
    I may as well echo everyone else and say "nice to have, not essential for most courses."

I have one, it's been very handy, it doesn't make me feel cool and important but it does save me some time and hassle. But I'd have gotten through without it no problem, as many people in my class have done.

Advertisement