Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

building materials ....

• 18-05-2008 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭

Im planning on building my own extention i have planning permission for a 24foot by 17foot room with utility and wash-room .

This is my first time the site is level and i`m not sure what size blocks or materials to use ...

What is the best roof type to put on this ...
    What are the block sizes avaiable to me ...
    and finally what would the price be to cOmplete this

as I said this is my fIrst time i`ve only build a wall before ..

thanks for the help ..

p.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Cavity wall using 4" blocks with a cut roof and external finishes to match existing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭DJKAV

Can I put a course around the 6" blocks with red brick

What dept does the foundation need to be and what

how much would faoudations be for 17x 20 room ...

thanks again for the help as i said i`m new to this ..

i`ve been watching houses around and taking notes but this site from reading is the best around ..

p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,324 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You should first of all engage a professional to prepare some sort of a plan.

Based on that you can then go to a quantity surveyor who will give you a full list of your materials and you can then go off to the local builders provides yard and price all the components. The QS could also give you a price for these.

The other choice is to take your plan to a bulder and get a quote from him.

On a general note this forum isn't about providing prices for every day building materials.

smashey wrote: »
    Cavity wall using 6" blocks with a cut roof and external finishes to match existing.
    6"? Im curious :)

i`m sorry i didn`t kn ow i couldn`y ask for prices in general on this fourm also i`m trying to complete this project on my own i don`t want the extra cost of surveryers and builders what i need is advice from friendly people who took on a job like this and what they came across and how the lerned .

thanks ..

• Advertisement

Cavity wall using 6" blocks with a cut roof and external finishes to match existing.
    muffler wrote: »
    6"? Im curious :)
    Jesus. Sunshine and bottles of heineken just don't mix too well.:D

DJKAV, make that 4" blocks.:D

Jesus. Sunshine and bottles of heineken just don't mix too well.:D

DJKAV, make that 4" blocks.:D
    What happened? - did you have 5 bottles instead of 4 :D

DJKAV wrote: »
    i`m sorry i didn`t kn ow i couldn`y ask for prices in general on this fourm also i`m trying to complete this project on my own i don`t want the extra cost of surveryers and builders what i need is advice from friendly people who took on a job like this and what they came across and how the lerned .
    Nah, its fine. Its not so much a case of us not allowing prices to be stated its just that we dont encourage it. The forum is intended for debate and offering advice on various projects, materials, methods etc.

But you definitely will get some good advice here and Im sure some of the users will post up details of what their materials or the overall job cost.

And we are friendly ;) (unless you go asking something stupid)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Firstly the extension will have to be keyed into the existing building. The insulation and waterproofing will have to correspond with the existing so generally the buildup will be the same as the original house (unless its a stone cottage or similar). Foundations should also correspond and join if possible but remember that the top of the foundations will have to be 600mm below GL. Generally for a 300mm cavity wall they will be 900 - 1000 wide and 300mm deep reinforced with A393 mesh or 12mm bars suspended 50mm above the bottom of the trench.

That will only get you up to ground level. after that there will be DPCs, DPMs, radon sumps, flashings, plastering, rendering, services, carpentry, joinery, slating/tiling etc. For to build an individual house I have a 40 page spec. and that doesnt include construction details. Personally I think that it is a large undertaking especially as extensions can be more troublesome than a one-off house. It might be cheaper to price a couple of builders instead of a QS(I personally think there should be a QS on every job) and get periodic inspections by an architect/engineer for your own piece of mind. You might never need the certs but if you do there is no way to certify after the fact especially on a self build.

Finally if you still think you are capable and that it will be cheaper to build it yourself (I should make a list of some of the self build efforts I've seen) then buy a homebond manual.

Can i get that spec off ya is it for sale WILLYOU PM ME ... ... everything you said hit the nail on the head that what i need ..

thanks amill .

p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

6" cavity blocks! No way... unless you like the cold! Use traditional cavity construction, 4" solid external brick or block, 30mm air gap cavity, 70mm or 80mm high density foil back insulation, 4@ internal solid block wall. Foundation should be 1' x 3' of concrete, preferably 3' below finished ground level. Conc is €90 per cubic metre. Roof type should match dwelling.

• Advertisement

RKQ wrote: »
    6" cavity blocks!

Who mentioned those? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭gummibear

Poor smashey,
    you said 4" but think DJKAV got carried away and stuck 2"extra in there!!! Good luck DJ with the build by the way, brave man. hope goes well but as you say this site is excellent. Fountain of useful info.:)

gummibear wrote: »
    Poor smashey,
    you said 4" but think DJKAV got carried away and stuck 2"extra in there!!! Good luck DJ with the build by the way, brave man. hope goes well but as you say this site is excellent. Fountain of useful info.:)
    In my tired and emotional state last weekend, I said cavity wall with 6" blocks.:D I changed this to 4" blocks later.

Advertisement